Amritdhari, non-amritdhari.

13Mirch

Grow your own vegetables and fruits. I have heard of Singh, who grow their own wheat. No doubt it is difficult to keep Bibek in this world economy, but if a person's jeevan is at that level then anything is possible. I have seen many Gurmukhs not eat langar because of the high level of spice and salt that goes into langar. It is not they don't want to eat with rest of the sangat, but they are very conscious of what to put in their body's and don't want any food that is high in sugar, salt, or spices, which will increase the 5 vices.

Many Sikhs get sucked into the world, which includes me and we don't realize that this fast paced world is actually killing us physically and spiritually faster. Singhs that follow bibek are much more healthier and happier in life.

Before someone judges bibek all they need to do is look at their own life and then look at a bibek Singhs life. Who has more stress, anxiety, worried more, is more emotional. The answer is very obvious here. Ever drive a car very fast and then slam the breaks and then hit the pedal again to the ground? The car doesn't last long if you kept doing this. This is what Sikhs are doing to their spirituality everytime they indulge in foods with a lot of salts, sugar, and spice. The base of keeping Bibek is honesty, but what type of food and where the food came in does also play a factor.

Last point, majority of the punjabis in Canada you meet are depressed. I can say this because i speak to a lot of them on a daily basis. In the morning they are depressed because they have not got their cha, at lunch time they are in ego and have a bit of anger as fire power because they had a high meal in spice and salt, in the late afternoon they are angry because work doesn't end and they have not got their dosage of cha, and in the evening they are very depressed beacuse they don't have what another punjabi has, even after working so hard. So they eat some meal high in salt and spice to wash away the pain, also drink some alcohol if thats what they do or if your a bibi...........pick up the phone call another bibi and gossip about some loser aunty's life to feel better about yourself..............just add poor her, just so the rude remarks don't get counted as nindiya........gotta keep God happy.....

Many Sikhs get sucked into the world, which includes me and we don't realize that this fast paced world is actually killing us physically and spiritually faster. Singhs that follow bibek are much more healthier and happier in life.

Before someone judges bibek all they need to do is look at their own life and then look at a bibek Singhs life. Who has more stress, anxiety, worried more, is more emotional. The answer is very obvious here. Ever drive a car very fast and then slam the breaks and then hit the pedal again to the ground? The car doesn't last long if you kept doing this. This is what Sikhs are doing to their spirituality everytime they indulge in foods with a lot of salts, sugar, and spice. The base of keeping Bibek is honesty, but what type of food and where the food came in does also play a factor.

Last point, majority of the punjabis in Canada you meet are depressed. I can say this because i speak to a lot of them on a daily basis. In the morning they are depressed because they have not got their cha, at lunch time they are in ego and have a bit of anger as fire power because they had a high meal in spice and salt, in the late afternoon they are angry because work doesn't end and they have not got their dosage of cha, and in the evening they are very depressed beacuse they don't have what another punjabi has, even after working so hard. So they eat some meal high in salt and spice to wash away the pain, also drink some alcohol if thats what they do or if your a bibi...........pick up the phone call another bibi and gossip about some loser aunty's life to feel better about yourself..............just add poor her, just so the rude remarks don't get counted as nindiya........gotta keep God happy.....

Some good points!

You are what you eat, as they say !!

Any one who does any cooking knows that when they cook something with love and prem, then it comes out tasting nice and you can feel the goodness.

We have all experienced that special taste in a certain daal or sabzi from Gurdwara langar and no matter how well or exact to the same proportions you make it at home, it is still NEVER the same thing is it ???

Have you ever wondered why ???

I think you can understand the 'why' now, even though we can't prove it on paper, because taste is a perception!

This all goes to show that the pureness, love and spirituality can be passed into the food no doubt.

Since this thread started, I have realised the reason and logic behind the need for bibek discipline.

Lots of replies to read but just a quick thing- Bibek is a very big term, has very broader meanings so i just wanted to make sure i break it down so its easier for people not to confuse or mix up things:

1. Bibek- Bibek mentioned in gurbani talks about inner bibek- every human is born with it- inner bibek literally means- discriminatory power of intellect within human mind to separate good attributes from bad and take good things from bad. Inner bibek/sensory intellect- is quite important as important as other human attributes such as- sat, santokh, dya, sabar, vichar etc.

2. Outer bibek- Outer bibek mostly refers to take in food, is inter-twined with inner bibek as its proven, whatever you have eat thats what your mind becomes. There are three types of food- satogun, rajoguni, tamoguni. Outer bibek helps us to pick right food i.e- satoguni food (not enrich of mirch/masala-rajogun) for bhagti/meditation/spirituality etc.

If one has lived in the samparda's dera- one will learn for gristhi- you need 70 satoguni and 30 rajoguni diet to keep your other half happy (you know what i mean.).

Based on my own research- both inner bibek and outer bibek is must in sikhi as they both intertwined with each other and its very important in gurdwaras but its unfortunate how gurdwara's are ignoring satoguni food very balanced and simple food for all sangat so that everyone can eat despite of their health problems.

3. Bibek of not eating from non -amritdharis/even amritdharis who don't have same diet as them, just cook your own food. This is optional. However, for some people it helps to further helps to maintain their outer bibek to make sure- food they are eating its consistent- satoguni. If it helps them, thats great.

4. Sarbloh bibek- originally started in nihang dals (still on going)to avoid strictly any kind of infiltration from outsider- mughal/mona's/patit and eat in iron- as its very enrich and high in iron. This is outer highest bibek, when there is bibek pehra- there is certain energy behind it, which cannot be ignored. Again its good to have but its optional.

Each one of bibeks have levels and each bibek above are landmarks in spirituality, its there to help you out- its a landmark not a destination- its meant to help you but if caution is not placed by those who are practicing it, it could make these landmarks into road blocks if ones wrap their head around it could easily make these bibeks into mere karam kandis/dogma/ego trip. It's not bibek itself which makes it dogma, its people make it dogma and thats the key here..!!!

There are many stories but one such story in jivan kiranie - biography of sant javala singh ji harkhowale - where one of bhramgyanis broke ahankar of bibeki singh who made bibek into dogma. Best way to learn about bibek is from mahapursh. a) they know levels of listed bibeks- when to apply, when not to apply b) provide cautionary guidance to avoid- turning bibek to karam kand/dogma/ego trip. There are many those who are inspired by bhagat ji- bhagat jaswant singh ji who is sarblohi bibeki mahapursh here in Canada but those who are inspired by him please do learn levels of bibek from him- when to apply and when not to apply bibek. I was with him in grouse mountain all the way to the summit and i clearly saw with my own eyes- despite of him being sarblohi bibek he pulled up - plastic natural spring water bottle to drink water few times, thats a clear indication of mahapursh not making bibek into dogma/karam kaand/ dogma ritual and there are similar stories of my own teacher- sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale who is 70 and cooked his own food all his life- he is not sarbloh bibeki but he is very strict dietary bibeki, despite of being strict bibeki/celibate mahapursh knows when to apply bibek and when not to apply bibek and he does not pro-actively promote it to the sangat who wishes to visit him as most of sangat who visits him are in gristh jevan have partners have diference of opnions on things and besides looking at the affairs of sikhs these days, mahapursh obviously knows how quickly it can become dogma despite of him being strick dietary bibeki by looking at the sad affairs- he openly gave tarna in katha- to those who made dietary bibek into dogma.!!

Now you want me to find a firm for you..............obviously you can't find one yourself........... you found some people that can't even speak english or punjabi. I see your cry for help...............don't worry I'll give you a hand..............no need to find a big bowl of ice cream and get chunkier.

As i told you before take your hate else where.