Sikh's could soon become a minority in the Punjab.

sanj singh

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.ph...ontent_id=54749

CHANDIGARH, SEPTEMBER 8: The latest census data on religion has presented a grim picture of migration both into and out of Punjab. The population of Sikhs in Punjab has fallen from 62.95 per cent to 59.9 per cent — perhaps the first time in four decades that it has fallen below the 60 per cent mark.

Reversing the trend of the late ’80s and early ’90s when there was Hindu migration from Punjab to other states, now there is largescale migration of labour into the state. In fact, a major reason for the fall in the percentage of Sikh population in Punjab is migration, both the influx of migrant labour as well as migration of Sikhs abroad.

Sikhs now account for two per cent of the population in Canada, with the 2001 Census citing a figure of 2.38 lakhs — an estimated 89 per cent increase in Sikh population in Canada in the last decade. Another estimated five lakh Sikhs live in England, a lakh each in the USA as well as in Malaysia and Thailand combined, implying that close to 10 lakh Sikhs are now settled abroad. And these figures are just of the legal migrants.

Census data reveals that between 1991 and 2001, the population of Sikhs in Punjab rose by 18 lakhs — an increase of 14 per cent. On the other hand, Hindus increased by 20 lakhs — a rise of 28 per cent. In percentage terms, the increase in Hindu population is double that of Sikh population. The number of Sikhs rose from 1.28 crore to 1.46 crore, while Hindus increased from 69.9 lakhs to 89.9 lakhs. The increase in Hindu and Muslim population in Pun

jab cannot be explained by fertility ratios, but is a direct consequence of migration.

STATE OF PUNJAB

• Four Punjab districts are dominated by Hindus: Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur and Nawanshahr

• 55 per cent of Hindus in Punjab live in urban areas, compared to 20 per cent of the Sikhs

• Muslims in Punjab have increased from 2.4 lakhs in 1991 to 3.8 lakhs

• Christians have increased from 2.39 lakhs to 2.92 lakhs.

• There are only six Sikhs in Lakshadweep, and 108 in Pondicherry

• Mizoram has a sex ratio of 2200 for Sikhs for girls between 0-6 years

Still more serious is the dubious distinction now enjoyed by Sikhs on its adverse sex ratio. Blame it on the Jat Sikh preference for the male child, a patriarchal agricultural society or technology replacing foeticide with infanticide, but the notoriety cannot be wished away. That a majority of Sikhs reside in Punjab implies that the poor sex ratio in Punjab — 897 — gets reflected in a poor report card for Sikhs as well.

‘‘Contrary to popular perception, a girl child is becoming a greater liability today than she was earlier,’’ says Dr Rajesh Gill of the Department of Sociology, Panjab University.

Compared to Punjab, Chandigarh and Delhi have better sex ratios for the Sikh community. Delhi has the highest of 925 and Chandigarh has 910. But even in Delhi, the ratio of girl child below the age of six years is less than 800. Jammu and Kashmir, where Sikhs account for two per cent of the population, has a very poor sex ratio of 809. Uttaranchal, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan where Sikhs account for some numbers too, have a sex ratio ranging between 892-898.

Guest stopsingh2

They sure will. I doubt very much this census is very accurate. There are hundreds of thousands of biharis, nepalis etc who work in Punjab who were more than likely missed off the census figures.

Unless the right to settle in Punjab is reduced for these migrant workers the marginal Sikh majority will be further eroded until sikhs are a minority in Punjab. It is time the Punjab sarkar acted to stop this potential problem growing further.

i think we should let Delhi decide our fate. the Indian government will do whatever possible to protect the interests of the Sikhs. Since Independence Bharat has done so much for Punjab and the Sikhs. What a precious gift Nehru Ji gave the Sikhs, a Punjabi state, wah wah. Thank God INdira Ji and Mr KPS Gill flushed out terrorism from Punjab. It is just the problem casing Sikhs in the West yelling about Punjab waters, and Sikh population in Punjab. Ask Sikhs in Punjab if they are worried about Punjab rivers drying up or the Sikhs becoming a minority in Punjab. It is all ISI propaganda, Pakistan backed Sikhs living in Kothis. PLease Sangat Ji, the Shiv Sena and Bajrang Dal will do everything in their power to protect us.

Also it is great that the central government has provided AK 47s to Babas and their deras in PUnjab, It was a great sight to see Bhaniarawaala and other "Sants" wth 10-12 men with assault rifles. Thank God the gov't took out those menacing amritdhari singhs with guns in the 80s and now has armed Sants who write their own Granths. Let's stop worrying about these things people, people in Punjab don't care, why do we here in the West keep causing trouble. Hindustan Zindabaad!

-My sarcasm knows no bounds.

If I'm not mistaken other states from around India have laws to give favour to their own citizens, and limit Immigration. Kashmir for instance does.

The Indian government however wants Sikh's to become a minority, they want us to become an uneductated, drug addicted, bunch of lawless alcoholics.

And all credit to them as they are getting what they want.

We are failing ourselves, our religion, our culture our Guru!!!

Unfortunately it seems for Sikh's,

"The future isn't bright, the future isn't Orange"

Sat Sri Akal:

Sikhs have been a minority in the Punjab for a while now...remember, 20 or so million counts anyone who says they are a Sikh...not necessarily those who follow Sikhi.

And if the Sikhs (you know, the ones who actually try to follow Sikhism) were truly a majority in the state, I highly doubt that Badal would be in power.

jalandhar is indeed dominated by hindus as the article states. the language of choice is hindi in the city. our punjabiat virsa and subiachaar is being destroyed right infront of us.

huh since when :T:

I was there just last year - and all of them were speak Panjabi as to what I re-call :wub: :)

Oh and I Live in jalandara- so i see a lot fo peopel speaking - and it's 98% of the time Panjabi :lol:

I actualyl speak Panjabi In Dehli as well- where majority of the people respond in Panjabi

seems liek hidni is being pushed on to people

but no no no, not Jalandar - probably more Hindi-speakers in Ludhiana :(

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest stopsingh2
jalandhar is indeed dominated by hindus as the article states. the language of choice is hindi in the city. our punjabiat virsa and subiachaar is being destroyed right infront of us.

huh since when :T:

I was there just last year - and all of them were speak Panjabi as to what I re-call :wub: :)

Oh and I Live in jalandara- so i see a lot fo peopel speaking - and it's 98% of the time Panjabi :lol:

I actualyl speak Panjabi In Dehli as well- where majority of the people respond in Panjabi

seems liek h

idni is being pushed on to people

but no no no, not Jalandar - probably more Hindi-speakers in Ludhiana :(

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I also read that census figures showed that there are more Hindus in Jullundhar than Sikhs.

Agree with you about most people still speaking Punjabi. I was there in April this year and I also found most people speak Punjabi.