Reality show American Idol rumored to feature Sikh contestant

JSinghnz

January 15, 2013 by Rupinder Mohan Singh Source: americanturban.com

480x282xgurpreet-sarin.jpg.pagespeed.ic.
Gurpreet Sarin (source: American Idol Net)

January 13, 2013: Sometimes, a rumor is simply too juicy to pass up.

The website American Idol Net — an unofficial website about Fox network’s popular American Idol singing competition – rumors that Gurpreet Sarin is among the Top 40 contestants for the 2013 iteration of the TV show (via @sepiamutiny):

Gurpreet appears to be about 22 years old and lives in the Washington, DC area. This appears to be his first spin through the American Idol machine and if the rumors are true he’s made it through Hollywood Week and down to the coveted Top 20 Boys spot.

We will have to wait until Wednesday — when American Idol kicks off this year’s competition — to find out whether it is true that a Sikh American has for the first time made it on the show. In the meantime, you can get a taste of Gurpreet Sarin’s singing talent on his YouTube channel, and can read more at American Idol Net.

Hmm...I think it's a suitable time for a turbanned Sikh to come forward and enter a show such as this. With the Oak Creek incident fresh in the public's mind, and maybe I'm crediting the general American public with a bit too much, it's possible he won't fall victim to people thinking he's something he's not. He might receive a fairer crack of the whip as opposed to being on the show for novelty value, i.e. when they put through overweight contestants who can clearly sing.... but the impression you get from the people at the top is "OMG he's fat....BUT HE CAN SING!".

I hope Singh Ji goes far.

But what do you guys feel about the fact that he will be singing 'love' songs etc? I haven't got a problem with it but was expecting to see the usual bashing and criticism of him.

Isn't he representing Sikhs? If yes, then relationships are against Sikhi right?

No need to turn this into a heated debate, I'm just playing devils advocate.

In fact, the reason I ask is because I know a singh who is a hell of a singer but is afraid of pursuing it because he feels he would be compromising his sikhi.

What do you think about this?

But what do you guys feel about the fact that he will be singing 'love' songs etc? I haven't got a problem with it but was expecting to see the usual bashing and criticism of him.

Isn't he representing Sikhs? If yes, then relationships are against Sikhi right?

No need to turn this into a heated debate, I'm just playing devils advocate.

In fact, the reason I ask is because I know a singh who is a hell of a singer but is afraid of pursuing it because he feels he would be compromising his sikhi.

What do you think about this?

DEKH PRAYAAN CHANGEHEAAAN MAAVAAAN DHIAAAAN BHENAAAA JANEEE --- we have lost the basics if we think this is right. We are to treat other women as sisters, mothers, daugthers approripriately- there are plenty of quotes from SGGS in regards to this.

This pleb should be pulled up on this and given a good lesson in basic sikhism with love ..not slaps please:)

I think we as community need to look at bigger need, bigger impact and bigger picture at times, sikhs and sikhs identity desperately need exposure in states so i support this guy being in american idol but at the same time- someone please do give him basic sikhi/morality lessons after the show nicely..make sure people appreciate his work, by giving him credit where its due and please don't come across as arrogant jevoh witness salesman at his door try to sell/super impose morality/sikhi with guilt trips an all, it puts people right off..!!!!

DEKH PRAYAAN CHANGEHEAAAN MAAVAAAN DHIAAAAN BHENAAAA JANEEE --- we have lost the basics if we think this is right. We are to treat other women as sisters, mothers, daugthers approripriately- there are plenty of quotes from SGGS in regards to this.

This pleb should be pulled up on this and given a good lesson in basic sikhism with love ..not slaps please:)

I think if a song is done with respect, and women are not disrespected or excessive use of kaam related lyrics are not used then maybe sikhs should be singing, if they have the gift that is. At the end of the day, every sikh is not a saint and by being singers, actors etc, it will show that we can integrate aswell as lead a spiritual lifestyle at the same time. For me, that's what Sikhi is all about, being able to do worldy things, jobs, occupations, sports etc aswell as developing your sikhi until you become the saint that does not need to indulge in these things.