What is Yoga?

Only five

I personally think there are many naam jugtiyas/ meditation techniques parvan in gurmat as long shabad/naam is incorporated in it, main idea is to control mind ..no one is claiming kundalini yoga or any naam vidhi is be all or end all as mentioned in the video after 7.19.....no one is disputing grace or kirpa aspect in sikhi...grace,hakum and free will are all intertwined with each other...main goal in sikhi is to get rid of one's ego and meet vahiguroo/real self of one which is atama-paratma...these naam jugtiya be it via kundalini yoga/swas gras by 3ho, shabad surat marg are just tip of ice berg just small baby steps to get mind attuned in divine...real test is one giving up shuksham maya, anand in dasam dwara and one giving up their ego be it asthol humaie and shuksham humaie with baiaraag and prem.

I agree, as long as shabad guru is incorporated then it can be very beneficial if done correctly.

I am actually thinking of starting some yoga and kundalini classes in the next few months to see what it is really about !

I think we have two major teething problems when we approach yoga-

First,- is the understanding of exactly what Guru Nanak Ji rejected about Yoga and yogis. As there seems to be alot of confusion with many sikhs and they assume or find it more understandable to reject Yoga completely!

I don't think that when you look at yoga a little deeply that you actually perceive it all as anti-gurmat!

Second,-is the dilution that the west has given to yoga by bringing it over here!

What I mean by this is the understanding that get's highlighted by extreme Hollywood personalities that associate it with complete fitness and relaxation, and all their fancy yoga exercise videos to go with it!

The important thing to realise is that physical yoga is mostly about extension/stretching/elongating the spinal column and vertebrae.

Whereas meditation and chakras is about the energies that are derived from this same central spinal column.

Therefore, in a kinesiology point of view, it makes a little sense to mix them together to help elevate spiritual energies.

As sikhs, it is essential that we DO incorporate shabad and gurbani when taking this approach.

This is just my opinion from how and where I see it !

There are many sakhiyas of sikh mahapursh using yoga with incorporate shabad in it to help with concentration of mind for eg-

- Sakhiya of sant jawala singh harkhowal using sadhana from hatha yoga with shabad surat to control mind in jivan kiranie

- sakhya of sant attar singh ji reru sahib using yog sadhana with shabad to take surti via bhram randhari nari(veins) in dasam dwar to release the body

- Sakhi of mata ajeeto ji using yog sadhana after permission by sri guru gobind singh ji to leave body, she enforce her surti to trikurti with shabad and then further taking up to bhramrandhar nari (subtle vein near dasam dwara) to release her body. (see-soraj parkash granth prasang)

thats all i think right now

Yoga is practiced by all of us without even realising !!!

It's when we assume certain bodily positions to conduct ourselves through life and tasks.

Singh, did you even read the article? If you did, don't you agree that the actual meaning of the word yoga is join and not how others have distorted the word?

Singh, did you even read the article? If you did, don't you agree that the actual meaning of the word yoga is join and not how others have distorted the word?

Yes , what did I say wrong ?

When we assume simple postins to eat, sleep...etc... then I feel that it is our way of 'joining' with the creation given to us by the creator !

I'm sorry if I gave the impression of further distortion, but I understand as 'to join' as you mentioned...........oops!!!

Yoga is union of one with vahiguroo...yoga techniques (be it hatha yoga, kundalini yoga, raj yoga) if incorporated with shabad, are there to help be it baby steps initially, or during the journey to help with the union, those who idolize or wrap their head around the techniques misses the boat as usual just like those who idiolize and wrap their head around dogmatic notions in the dharam......i think gurukha singh did excellent job explain in the video 7.19 onwards..!!

Yoga is union of one with vahiguroo...yoga techniques (be it hatha yoga, kundalini yoga, raj yoga) if incorporated with shabad, are there to help be it baby steps initially, or during the journey to help with the union, those who idolize or wrap their head around the techniques misses the boat as usual just like those who idiolize and wrap their head around dogmatic notions in the dharam......i think gurukha singh did excellent job explain in the video 7.19 onwards..!!

Please explain in your word's and from gurbani.

I do yoga with others with same health condition. We do simple exercises and/or Pranayama, just starting that. I have read the article but dont understand properly. I do it to help with my symptoms and find it does help me, and afterwards i feel a bit energized and am able to do daily tasks. Sometimes i try to do simran with it, but not sure if i am doing the right thing.