The Future Of Gurdwaras In Pakistan

chatanga

If I was old enough and had the money I'd help educate the Sikhs in Pakistan. Also increase parchaar in the Hindus in Pakistan. They already keep Guru Granth Sahibs, so I don't see why these 1million+ couldn't help us to take care of the heritage in Pakistan.

However, what is the point of building up gurdware then not using them. Also, say we spend millions renovating. Then India kills a Muslim. The Pakistanis will take their anger out on our buildings (they've done this before attacking Sikh buildings in 1992). Educate the Sikhs, make them stronger and so that they are a lot of value to the Pak. government, maybe then the government will actually act on what they say and help save the gurdware.

Fancy Banana Ji, you are right in that a lot of this mutual goodwill and trust rests on india'a relationship with pakistan. Just when it seems that progress is being made, incidents like prisoner-killings bring it back to square one.

and the Gurdwara sahibs in india? we have completely destroyed our heritage. we've concreted and tiled over our historic frescos. we've bulldozed many historic structures of great significance. we've marbled and bricked up every square inch including the trees and miraculously expect them to survive. we dont care about our history, our heritage and certainly dont care about our future. what we do care about is our 'korsi' and we will do anything to keep it. as long as we are gulaam, nothings going to change.

Those pics are crushing.

UK = Paji don't worry so much these were only just Samadhi's. The Gurdwaray are what's really sad. Remember Ranjit Singh was the most able political leader for the community in his time. The Panth can never tolerate or flourish under a royal family and like Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa advocated only Sarbat Khalsa and Panj Pyaaray should lead our Qaum. Saamadhi's of so-called royal children shouldn't mean too much to us, though of course I would rather such heritage had survived vandalism from the Punjabi Muslims.

UK = Instead of repairing manmat Samadhi's let build more quality schools and hospitals all across our side of Punjab, where needed most elsewhere in India and sub-Saharan Africa and we will achieve far more results.

You're so right.

We all need to become independent so we can take on such projects. :|

UK = Paji Fancy Banana Ji said it much better than me (though I do consider the Sindhi's as Sikhs already):

Banana = Also increase parchaar in the Hindus in Pakistan. They already keep Guru Granth Sahibs, so I don't see why these 1million+ couldn't help us to take care of the heritage in Pakistan. However, what is the point of building up gurdware then not using them. Also, say we spend millions renovating. Then India kills a Muslim. The Pakistanis will take their anger out on our buildings (they've done this before attacking Sikh buildings in 1992).

UK = Paji don't worry so much these were only just Samadhi's. The Gurdwaray are what's really sad. Remember Ranjit Singh was the most able political leader for the community in his time.

Only samadhis? They are much more than that. They are a visible link to the collective heritage of the Sikh Nation. And you disrepect Maharaja Ranjit Singh by addressing him common.

UK = Instead of repairing manmat Samadhi's let build more quality schools and hospitals all across our side of Punjab, where needed most elsewhere in India and sub-Saharan Africa and we will achieve far more results.

There are plenty of other organistions who will build schools and hospitals. But none of those are going to resurrect our heritage.

UK = Paji don't worry so much these were only just Samadhi's. The Gurdwaray are what's really sad. Remember Ranjit Singh was the most able political leader for the community in his time. The Panth can never tolerate or flourish under a royal family and like Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa advocated only Sarbat Khalsa and Panj Pyaaray should lead our Qaum. Saamadhi's of so-called royal children shouldn't mean too much to us, though of course I would rather such heritage had survived vandalism from the Punjabi Muslims.

I think we should take care of the old havelis and smadhs as it is a very large piece of our history. A time when we didn't have to live in fear and beg other people to take care of us. Like chatanga veer said, they are a link to our past.

However I do agree with you on this. Time and time again people appeal to help educate a student in Punjab. I think we should first take care of the people. I mean there a many thousands of poor Sikh families who lost everything they had in 1984 and the freedom struggle after. How many people go to help them? I posted a documentry on the Sikhlighar Sikhs a while back and hardly anyone cared. How can we talk about renovating buildings when there are people who can't even get clean water, have a meal every day and go to school? We should strike a balance between this and should focus on getting Sikhs more educated lift them out of poverty and then everything else will fall into place. There is a huge potential in Pakistan. A million Sindhi Hindus could easily help manage the gurdware, maybe we should focus on them and Sikhs that live there.