The Future Of Gurdwaras In Pakistan

I don't think Pakistanis treat SIkhs as well as you say. They probably treat us fairly in cities and big populated areas but I am sure discrimination exists in pinds etc.

I am only telling you what I learned from few Sikhs I met from Pak. Offcourse there are problems, but what I got from them was that Sikhs are treated the best out of all minorities. One Pakistani (Muslim) told me that Sikhs still have it better in Pak than many Muslim groups themselves (Like Ahmadis, Shias etc).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Become that one in a million my sibling. If you are not an Indian citizen, it is a thousand times easier to get access to Pakistan for such activities. Saving Gurdwaras for posterity is one thing and

These places aren't really gurdware anymore, a gurdwara is a doorway to the guru. The guru doesn't reside there anymore. Neither does any sangat. A place stays in good condition if it is used. We will

Very well said, I agree completely. The derelict gurdwaras are certainly an opportunity for introspection about the state of Sikhi, both in Pakistan and East Punjab. Hundreds of gurdwaras falling into

Posted Images

I am only telling you what I learned from few Sikhs I met from Pak. Offcourse there are problems, but what I got from them was that Sikhs are treated the best out of all minorities. One Pakistani (Muslim) told me that Sikhs still have it better in Pak than many Muslim groups themselves (Like Ahmadis, Shias etc).

Probably firstly because there are so few left that they do not constitute a threat.

Secondly, some pre-partition nostalgia that Sikhs made positive contributions which you don't appreciate once it's gone.

• Like 2

Probably firstly because there are so few left that they do not constitute a threat.

Secondly, some pre-partition nostalgia that Sikhs made positive contributions which you don't appreciate once it's gone.

May be, may be not. But I am happy that Sikhs are treated fairly in Pakistan and are given more respect by the government as compared to india where Sikhi isn't even recognized as a separate religion and Sikhs marry under "Hindu Marriage Registration Act". In Pakistan, the Sikhi is recognized as a separate religion and Sikhs have their own marriage act under law.

May be, may be not. But I am happy that Sikhs are treated fairly in Pakistan and are given more respect by the government as compared to india where Sikhi isn't even recognized as a separate religion and Sikhs marry under "Hindu Marriage Registration Act". In Pakistan, the Sikhi is recognized as a separate religion and Sikhs have their own marriage act under law.

The separate marriage act is so that they have one upmanship vs India.

Second reason is that they do not see us as Hindus. India see Sikhs as servants to Hindus.

• 4 years later...

Hi all. Wanted to bump this thread again and bring everyone news of a dismaying situation in Lahore, with the ShaheedGanj of Bhai Taru Singh being taken over by Barelvi muslims. Some years ago, a sect of muslims took over this Gurdwara and painted one of the domes green, although it has been repainted white.

This article mentions the same guy behind the recent attempt on 26th July, Sohail Butt. He is the same guy who made the video on the 26th threatening Sikhs in Pakistan.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070827/main8.htm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1