Whats the most annoying thing about sikh channel? sangat television?

genie

At the moment - The most annoying thing from my perspective is, both of these channels not covering Delhi protests effectively, SikhChannel just shows a recorded video footage in the night at approx. 09:00PM and that's it, no live talk show/no coverage of protest by Bhen Nirpreet Kaur Jee, no discussion panels over phone/updates from Delhi committee members, so we in UK have no idea of what is going on in Delhi/Punjab protests over Sajjan Kumar acquittal. Over the past few weeks, both channels have lost direction.

Their discussion shows are a joke. It never a debate. It their way or the highway. If anyone has a different opinion they get cut off. On the panels no matterhow many you have on there they all have same opinion so totally pointless

Their discussion shows are a joke. It never a debate. It their way or the highway. If anyone has a different opinion they get cut off. On the panels no matterhow many you have on there they all have same opinion so totally pointless

I love the opportunity some forums give for a good old rant. Most annoying thing is the fact that we have 2 channels that for the sake of petty rivalry (anyone who has dealt with them knows this as one will insist on media rights over the other!) do not unite their resources. Some programmes are great - but few and far in between those are utter dribble. Quality of the spoken English is poor (not talking about the mother tongue Punjabi speakers here, but the British born Sikhs) and sometimes the Punjabi can be awful too. Some youth presenters in particular need to smarten up - wearing Bana is fine, but if wearing western clothing - please put on a decent suit, rather than baggy hip hop type of tracksuite or pyjama type of gear. Sometimes the Dawat i Islami channel with their fancy roses in their green pagris is a more entertaining option (ok - only for a minute or so!...) because the Punjabi quality is clearer and more understandable with explainations that are eloquent rather than brash and raw. The matrimonial show beggars belief. The morning show with the ghostly office backdrop, presenters with zero chemistry and nauseating chit chat should study the morning shows of the mainstream channels - hey you do not need big bucks for a top notch breakfast show - remember The Big Breakfast on channel 4 (the early years rather than the later ones). Rant over.

I love the opportunity some forums give for a good old rant. Most annoying thing is the fact that we have 2 channels that for the sake of petty rivalry (anyone who has dealt with them knows this as one will insist on media rights over the other!) do not unite their resources.

You know one thing - SikhChannel was already running with it's main presenters Mr. Ranjit Singh Rana, Mr. Dhesi etc., and when SangatTV launched, all of these SikhChannel presenters had a show on SikhChannel critisizing SangatTV launch, and it should not had been done, we should have only one Channel etc. A couple of weeks later, they left SikhChannel and appeared on Sangat TV :).

I have but 2 gripes with both channels :

1) The extremely poor use of the English langauge in it's written captions that has noticeably gotten worse in recent months.

2) The overuse of a musical backdrop to accompany news featues. That is the hallmark of Indian TV news as Indians are incapable of folliwing news stories without music setting the tone. That kind of Indian dumbing down we Sikhs should we moving away from not embracing. The Sikh Channels should be helping to create a generation that has enough attention span that it can follow news without a soundtrack telling them how to feel about the news story.

I don't have access to these Panjabi channels but you hear stuff from other people, and the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen is a common complaint. Who do they have working for them in the backroom if these are the decisions being made? You'd think some ambitious Sikh media graduate would be given the reins and told to rebrand the station and generally raise on-screen operations to a professional standard. I wouldn't be surprised if nepotism rules supreme (as with most Indian institutions with even a little influence), with a close - unqualified for the position - relative of the owner/s is responsible for such shoddy decisions..

These channels are in a catch 22 switch without donations they cant run properly and provide quality programming such as outside and aboard live transmissions which are costly. And without quality programming and entertaining live discussions people dont want to donate as you get 1 hour of interesting live programming per day if your lucky the rest is filled with repeated junk of useless shows of live kirtans that can be found on youtube and if people really wanted to listen or view it they could have gone to gurdwara for that.

Seriously sometimes i think these channels are run by morons or people who haven't got a clue how to keep the audience interacted in this day and age where people have attention span of 2-5mins before moving on to something else if there isnt anything relevant to current Sikh issues shown.

scenario 1: They wanted to run tv station only for financial purposes (cash cow)

scenario 2: They have enough cash from other businesses so they thought of opening up channel and want to hold leadership thingy (power)

scenario 3: They opened tv station soley because they want to win by competing with already established other sikh media tv channel

scenario 4: They wanted to do sewa and want to upgrade themself day by day. They don't care about money, power, competition but wants to show sikhs in good positive light in media.

Also, if they are not-for-profit then i disagree with comments that says we should have only one channel etc. I do agree with the idea of pooling all resources in one place but in business world that can never happen especially in our kaum where difference rises over small pety stuff.

I think some of you are being a bit harsh , sikh channel is trying to cover most topics with limited resources, they have followed news in india and around the world , bhai rajoana/bhullar ,oak creek , london, delhi etc quite well over the last few years, we in the uk would probably not have known about many of these issues otherwise and they seem to report issues before sangat tv. they dont have professional presenters or funding like main stream tv so can not compete, so as far as the uk is concerned they are doing a good job.