Whats the most annoying thing about sikh channel? sangat television?

I have but 2 gripes with both channels :

1) The extremely poor use of the English langauge in it's written captions that has noticeably gotten worse in recent months.

2) The overuse of a musical backdrop to accompany news featues. That is the hallmark of Indian TV news as Indians are incapable of folliwing news stories without music setting the tone. That kind of Indian dumbing down we Sikhs should we moving away from not embracing. The Sikh Channels should be helping to create a generation that has enough attention span that it can follow news without a soundtrack telling them how to feel about the news story.

I don't have access to these Panjabi channels but you hear stuff from other people, and the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen is a common complaint. Who do they have working for them in the backroom if these are the decisions being made? You'd think some ambitious Sikh media graduate would be given the reins and told to rebrand the station and generally raise on-screen operations to a professional standard. I wouldn't be surprised if nepotism rules supreme (as with most Indian institutions with even a little influence), with a close - unqualified for the position - relative of the owner/s is responsible for such shoddy decisions..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone complaining and whinging, why don't you go there and offer your services? It is the panth's channel? Why not go offer your seva? Before people complained "omg, no Sikh T.V channels, look at a

Not to forget the names of the programmes that do not match the actual programme being run!

When they put the same program on both channels, and miss the sofa factory advert that was a catchy tune.. and the fireworks ad, buy one get one free, buy two get one free...thats so annoying it dont

These channels are in a catch 22 switch without donations they cant run properly and provide quality programming such as outside and aboard live transmissions which are costly. And without quality programming and entertaining live discussions people dont want to donate as you get 1 hour of interesting live programming per day if your lucky the rest is filled with repeated junk of useless shows of live kirtans that can be found on youtube and if people really wanted to listen or view it they could have gone to gurdwara for that.

Seriously sometimes i think these channels are run by morons or people who haven't got a clue how to keep the audience interacted in this day and age where people have attention span of 2-5mins before moving on to something else if there isnt anything relevant to current Sikh issues shown.

scenario 1: They wanted to run tv station only for financial purposes (cash cow)

scenario 2: They have enough cash from other businesses so they thought of opening up channel and want to hold leadership thingy (power)

scenario 3: They opened tv station soley because they want to win by competing with already established other sikh media tv channel

scenario 4: They wanted to do sewa and want to upgrade themself day by day. They don't care about money, power, competition but wants to show sikhs in good positive light in media.

Also, if they are not-for-profit then i disagree with comments that says we should have only one channel etc. I do agree with the idea of pooling all resources in one place but in business world that can never happen especially in our kaum where difference rises over small pety stuff.

I think some of you are being a bit harsh , sikh channel is trying to cover most topics with limited resources, they have followed news in india and around the world , bhai rajoana/bhullar ,oak creek , london, delhi etc quite well over the last few years, we in the uk would probably not have known about many of these issues otherwise and they seem to report issues before sangat tv. they dont have professional presenters or funding like main stream tv so can not compete, so as far as the uk is concerned they are doing a good job.

• Like 2

These channels are in a catch 22 switch without donations they cant run properly and provide quality programming such as outside and aboard live transmissions which are costly. And without quality programming and entertaining live discussions people dont want to donate as you get 1 hour of interesting live programming per day if your lucky the rest is filled with repeated junk of useless shows of live kirtans that can be found on youtube and if people really wanted to listen or view it they could have gone to gurdwara for that.

Seriously sometimes i think these channels are run by morons or people who haven't got a clue how to keep the audience interacted in this day and age where people have attention span of 2-5mins before moving on to something else if there isnt anything relevant to current Sikh issues shown.

How you can call shows of Kirtans useless and junk is unbelievable this is Gurbani you are talking about :no:

surely this is an error on your part and you dont mean it like this.

• Like 1

Their call management on phone in Discussions are very very poor, and amature i have call centre experience and experience of calling Radio phone in.

Sikh Chan/Sangat just put the caller through after waiting, they don't pre warn them before going live which is why we have a constant embarrassing situation where someone is live on the station and doesn't even no, that's where we get Hello times Six and repeated Fatehs

I am waiting for the day when some is live and don't know is eating something or having a chat with some in the room and uses swear words maybe that's what will sort out their call handling.

• Like 1

I personally find Sikh youth more embarrassing and illiterate. The new generation has a serious identity crises. I'd rather see less Sikh youth.

I personally find Sikh youth more embarrassing and illiterate. The new generation has a serious identity crises. I'd rather see less Sikh youth.

I like Vickram Singh, Harvy Singh should stick to English its embarrasing when he speaks Punjabi "reni beni" errrrrrr

It is annoying when the music that accompanys certain items, is very very heavy.

the schedules need to be more accurate as well. Sometimes there are brilliant programmes on, but because they are labeled otherwise, you miss them.

Sangat Tv deffo needs to sort out its studio sound. Sometimes i have to have the vol on 40 just to hear it.

Also, I would rather see hosts who respect Sikh rehat. I'm not being extreme. It logical that 'sikh TV' should have a 'sikh face'.

I dont mind if the program is a social or sports etc, because it will have some kind of appeal to non turban wearing sikhs. If its a religious prog, then obviously yes.

When they put the same program on both channels, and miss the sofa factory advert that was a catchy tune.. and the fireworks ad, buy one get one free, buy two get one free...thats so annoying it dont come on nomore...

lol that sofa ad,

''Sofaa factory 'barmingam' nu aauh''

yeah I agree the audio is so messed up on sangat tv like the microphone never works nd my dad puts the volume on like 60 (he has bad hearing) nd then the microphone works for like 5 seconds and like breaks the speakers.

I also hate how they never stick to their schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!