Nonsense From Indian Media - Sikhs Who Demand Justice Are 'radical'

WaljinderSingh

The Hindu

-----------------

Radical Sikh groups petition UNHRC to recognise 1984 massacre as ‘genocide’
They seek international investigation into the anti-Sikh riots on the basis of "new evidence"

Almost three decades after 3,000 Sikhs were massacred (according to government figures) following the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh body guards, radical Sikh groups led by the U.S.-based Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) have petitioned the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva seeking specifically an international investigation into the November 1984 riots as well as the Council’s recognition of the killings as ‘genocide’ under Article 2 of the U.N. Convention on Genocide.

The petition was followed by a ‘Justice March’ by hundreds of Sikhs from Europe, Canada and the U.S.

The petition stresses that successive governments in India have deliberately misled the world community into believing that the 1984 killings were ‘riots’ confined to Delhi, when “there is ample evidence to the contrary”.

The petition titled, ‘1984: Yes, it’s genocide’ was filed under 1503 procedure of the United Nations on Friday and carries the required 10 lakh signatures from Sikhs across the world. It is spearheaded by the SFJ, several other Sikh human rights NGOs, as well as management committees of Sikh gurudwaras across Europe, America and Canada.

“New evidence”

The petition provides “new evidence” aimed at proving that contrary to prevalent belief, the killings of Sikhs had spread to 18 States and 100 cities beyond Delhi. This includes, among other things, official government records that state that 35,000 Sikhs claimed damages for death and injury, out of which 20,000 claims are from Sikhs who were attacked outside Delhi.

Further, the Sikh groups have provided new evidence of the existence of mass graves of 65 Sikhs in Hondh Chillar village of Haryana, discovered in February 2011, a mass cremation site at Pataudi in Haryana, and ruins of Sikh houses and gurudwaras in Gurgaon and West Bengal.

The petition states, “As a planned cover-up, remains of all such sites were cleaned and rebuilt to purge traces of the attacks. The debris and human remains at the newly discovered genocidal sites throughout India as well as the official records of the Indian government are the most specific irrefutable and convincing evidence that killing of Sikhs in November 1984 was ‘genocide’. The new evidence justifies new investigation.”

Stating that Sikhs have exhausted all avenues in seeking justice and redress in India, the Sikh organisations have detailed the 29-year saga of 10 commissions of enquiry into the killings that led nowhere, the relief given by courts to the accused Congress leaders, and the manner in which the Congress party has promoted and given them tickets despite the charges they face.

Commissions “eyewash”

Describing the commissions of enquiry as “eyewash to offset the demands for justice and accountability,” the petition says that a cursory look at the reports and recommendations of the commissions shows that they are a “hoax played through the façade of investigation into the November 1984 killings” and were aimed at covering up the extent and scale of violence against the Sikhs.

Naming the former MPs, Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler, Union Minister Kamal Nath, Arjun Singh, HKL Bhagat and Amitabh Bacchan, among others, the petition says the government has “thwarted all attempts by the victims to get justice by cover-ups, destroying evidence and providing immunity to Congress leaders, by threatening witnesses and victims. The victims have no recourse but to approach the UNHRC.”

Speaking to The Hindu from Geneva, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, the legal adviser of the SFJ, said: “We are overwhelmed at the support that this petition has got from Sikhs across the world. We hope to have a hearing before the U.N. subcommittee on Human Rights, to present evidence and witnesses about the extensive use of government machinery in the violence against Sikhs during November 1984.”

Initiated last year, the petition was also supported by the Akal Takht, the supreme temporal body for Sikhs, which issued an appeal to Sikhs to gather signatures and make it a success.

Camps were held in the five Sikh takhts and at several gurudwaras along with awareness campaigns across social media to collect signatures.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/radical-sikh-groups-petition-unhrc-to-recognise-1984-massacre-as-genocide/article5308461.ece

With headline like 'radicals' clearly shows their true intent. Is Sikhs for Justice radical? I thought India only consider turban amritdhari sikh as radicals but I guess they changed their definition and now includes liberal Sikhs as radicals too. India journalism is too weird. It is not like these authors/writers are writing this up on their own.. Most probably higher level editor forcing lower writers to write something against Sikhs and Sikhism in order to keep safe their jobs.

Radical Sikh for them is anyone who questions the Indian Government's role in the Sikh genocide of 1984. Most Indians are shocked to hear that Sikhs today are still are against operation bluestar. They think we should thank them for conducting this attack which we consider to be an attack on the Sikh faith itself. Just look at their media, they cannot believe how we consider Sant Bhidranwale and Santwant Singh Beant Singh as Shaheeds and heroes of the Panth while considering Brar, Dayal, Kp Gill as traitors.

Many Indians blame Sikhs for the Sikh genocide itself. Their attitude about the Sikh genocide after Indira Gandhi died is "well if you didn't fight back while we were killing you then we wouldn't have killed even more of you".

I said the same stuff couple of days ago when i posted links from various media web sites, including "The Hindu reporting" SFJ as radical group.

IMPORTANT - Any new folks (SIKH/NON-SIKH) starting to gather historical knowledge of 1984 and pre-1984 can now judge themselves how Indian media portrays justice seeking voices against their unjust system as Extremism, people seeking justice such as Sant JArnail Singh Khalsa Bhindranwale as extremists/terrorists/seperatists akin to how Jatinder Singh Grewal, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun from SFJ, folks from UK Sikh Federation are reported as radical, extremist Sikhs.

One can just imagine what would happen to Mr. Grewal and Mr. Pannun if they were somehow based in India.

Anyway, fight for justice is not a small battle.

hahaha i know what you guys are talking about everywhere online any indian media tht talks about 1984 and those who demand justice are always labeled as radicals i say who cares what they think and keep on the fight for justice we all know who the real radicals are. I mean since when does wanting justice which is 29 years overdue make you a radical. I dont know if we ever will get justice for 1984 but the key is to tell our kids about 1984 and Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale's cause he was one of the truest Sikhs in our modern time and had thousands of followers he changed punjab for the better but now everyone forgot in punjab and look at the state of it. It is when our next generation forget about these events thts when we loose and our enemies win i have younger cousins aged 8-9 and when they reach proper age i will make sure they know and spread it amoung the next generation of sikh youth

Do these guys know that (a) even according to the UN Charter it is NOT illegal to demand a separate state for your community, so labeling Khalistanis as terrorists is as lunatic as it can get, and (b) even the Supreme Court of India has decried that Sikhs have every right to demand Khalistan using non-violent means, yes there is a provision.

So who is the radical now?