Can any person become a Sikh??

Khalsa_starr

Can any person become a Sikh??  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Can any person become a Sikh??

• [b]Yes - within reason (good motives, dedication)
    • Not sure
    • No - must be born into a Sikh family[/b]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Darcy,

welcome to the forum!

Bhai Gurdas Ji in his Bani Wrote:

"charan sharan gur aik paida jaye chal, satguru kot paida aage hoye lait hai."

meaning:

If you take one, but one steps towards the Guru, Guru takes one million steps towards you.

Now you have taken your first step towards the Guru and Guru has already taken one million steps towards you :wub:

Well, first of all - Should i go directly to the Gurdwara? or should i do some research first?

I know it sounds dumb, but i'm new! :wub:

Anyways, is there a standard time of the week or day that everyone comes to worship that i should be aware of??

What kind of precautions or rules should i respect?

(thanks for telling me to cover my hair and not walk in the langar hall with my shoes)

Darcy,

I did not go through the same experience as you, because I was raised in a family that associates itself with Sikhism. However, most of my family was not actively practicing Sikhism and it was about 4 years ago when my grandfather first became initiated, and then myself, and then my grandmother (re-initiated), and then my sister. That is all the blessings of the Guru and it is from the inspiration of my grandfather in his immediate closeness to us, always teaching us stories of the Sikh faith and encouraging us to keep a balance in life and keep the love of God in our hearts.

This is not bound to happen with everybody, as my parents and other family members are still unsure or perhaps not 100% confident in Sikhism, and this has led to some challenges. However, it is always a difficult challenge. I still cannot call myself a Sikh because I do not have the dedication to wake up early in the mornings to meditate like the Guru has told me to. Nonetheless -- the Guru is always (always) with you and there is no reason to fear anything.

Guru Granth Sahib Ji says "As long as you are with me then what can bother me? You have given me everything, I am your devotee."

You asked about going directly to the Gurdwara - feel free to do some research, but there is no restriction about when you can go or not. Some of the pointers from my previous post might guide you in how to approach the different areas of the gurdwara. Another thing to keep in mind is to go with an open mind - you might see some things you are not familiar with, or comfortable with. Some of the people may not be polite, or they may act different. This is not likely, but it could be the

case. And that is natural in our society - because we all make mistakes. However, go there with the intentions of meditating, getting a vision of Guru Granth Sahib, and enjoying the community meal.

If you just want to browse, I would suggest a Friday or Saturday afternoon. You might see a wedding on Saturday or Sunday morning. There are usually programs in the evening each day - but most likely the programs will be on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

please forgive my mistakes

Vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa

VAaheguroo jee kee fatheh!!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Beloved Darcy,

It is excellent that you have chosen the righteous and pure path of Sikhi. I really recommend that you read the link that 'JSingh' has given, it is very beneficial.

Remember if you have any questions then the Sangat (congregation) on this site is ALWAYS ready to answer your questions, no matter how 'embarrasing' or 'stupid' they may seem to you, because we have all asked these questions, if you dont ask then you will never learn.

Other Sikh forums you can visit are:

AKJ FORUM

TAPOBAN PHORUM