Big Statement By Nihal On Bbc Asain Network On Sikhs

Hammertime007

Veer ji ,

I think most people have understanding that one must wear clean clothes after keshi ishnaan to go anywhere near Guru ji or tabiyaan . Also they may have heard the story about Akhand paath being made nephal by the Granthi doing raul having clothes and body dirty from 'pollution' as it is called in Victorian english.

There is a doubt in most women's minds and they tend to avoid doing Guru ji di sewa but, at the same time we females still do paat from Gutkey pothian etc during those times and those are just as much as Guru ji . It is so confusing , are we saying if Guru ji is in a home and there is only a bibi left say as in shaheedi parivar she would be OK to not to prakash or sukhasan of Guru ji for a week every month? would that not be a lapse in sewa and therefore punishable?

I know other faiths (jewish,muslim, hindu) have created 'polluting' issues for their females during the monthly cycles and used this to criticise their bhagti or even worthiness in Waheguru's eyes compared to Men which I don't feel a Singhni should be feeling if Guru Nanak Dev ji put us on an even status spiritually by giving us all bani di daat and Naam, and disspelled the superstitions of such pollutions due to natural course of life e.g. Sutak post-birth .

i will ask you a question, do you think a male is allowed to touch guru granth sahib ji after he had sex or had nightfall or something similar which meant discharging body liquid occoured only in sex?

Nightfall? I think i know what you are referring too, is that even common? Most people have showers when they wake up, and most don,t indulge in sex prior to doing maharaj seva.

Anyway Do you even know what a period is? It is not discharged only in sex! It is natural human cycle for women, they don't have control of it. E.g men/ you can't set the time you want to go for a dump, you know roughly (apart from the odd emergency), but can't plan you day with exact times.

However I have heard it should not be done, but jkvlondon makes a good point re: only women in the house.

Nightfall? I think i know what you are referring too, is that even common? Most people have showers when they wake up, and most don,t indulge in sex prior to doing maharaj seva.

It's mentioned in rehitnama that you must do ishnaan after (bhai Chaupa Singh ji) even which pahar is permissible for such like (strange to be so prescriptive but oh well)

By most faiths reckoning the childbearing years are blighted as monthly cycles interfere in Bhagti/sewa and women are never trustworthy so even she isn't in that phase then somehow her existence is tainted and she is dissuaded from leading the prayers etc...I see a little of that 'backward' thinking creeping into the day to day of Sikhi, it's a shame

Anyway Do you even know what a period is? It is not discharged only in sex! It is natural human cycle for women, they don't have control of it. E.g men/ you can't set the time you want to go for a dump, you know roughly (apart from the odd emergency), but can't plan you day with exact times.

However I have heard it should not be done, but jkvlondon makes a good point re: only women in the house.

It's mentioned in rehitnama that you must do ishnaan after (bhai Chaupa Singh ji) even which pahar is permissible for such like (strange to be so prescriptive but oh well)

By most faiths reckoning the childbearing years are blighted as monthly cycles interfere in Bhagti/sewa and women are never trustworthy so even she isn't in that phase then somehow her existence is tainted and she is dissuaded from leading the prayers etc...I see a little of that 'backward' thinking creeping into the day to day of Sikhi, it's a shame

that was not my point , the point was if a person is dirty that person isnt allowed to touch guru granth sahib ji

if someone went to poop, you would have to take a bath before you go sit in sangat , let alone sitting at tabya or touching guru sahib.also previously in all gurduaras this was a common practice ,

the same concept is about this topic. and its mentioned in Damdami taksal rehat as well

there is an incident , our ex jathedar of Sri Hazur sahib , used to stand at the entrance and ask sangat "did you take ishnaan" and wont let anyone without ishnaan

a singh lied and went inside, just after climbing stairs , he felt immense pain and crying

sangat saw him laying down like someone was pinning him down

he was crying and screaming , please get this nihang singh ji off me he is breaking my leg

and yes his leg was broken. he described a nihang singh with yellow baana , broke it.

And I do not think there is any such restriction in the Sikh Rehat Maryada.

This is manmatt from the so called Sikhs who have a Brahamanic mindset.

as per you everything is bhramanic , everything you do not understand because you havnt been bought up with is bhramanic too? try to understand with more open mind .

This has nothing to do with women being impure during this period of the month. But it was a precaution for women not to sit on the taba during this period of the month. Also some women do not know when they will get the first day of the cycle and being stubborn about it and sitting on the taba can cause a mess. It comes down to which women do you allow during this period to sit on the taba and not. Some are prepared and some are the stubborn.........i don't care because i am big headed. To keep everything clean the fast rule is no one is allowed to during this time of the month. Unless there is a strict rule made women have to make sure no mistakes are made and they follow this rule to make sure everything stays clean and now there will be no problem with them doing seva of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji during this period of the month. But everyone thinks they know better than the next person standing in the langar line up. For saying this much, i will be labeled with many hateful names, but these same people will go into rage if I drop a piece of dirt from my shoe on to their car floor or a piece of food on to their car seat by mistake.

This has nothing to do with women being impure during this period of the month. But it was a precaution for women not to sit on the taba during this period of the month. Also some women do not know when they will get the first day of the cycle and being stubborn about it and sitting on the taba can cause a mess. It comes down to which women do you allow during this period to sit on the taba and not. Some are prepared and some are the stubborn.........i don't care because i am big headed. To keep everything clean the fast rule is no one is allowed to during this time of the month. Unless there is a strict rule made women have to make sure no mistakes are made and they follow this rule to make sure everything stays clean and now there will be no problem with them doing seva of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji during this period of the month. But everyone thinks they know better than the next person standing in the langar line up. For saying this much, i will be labeled with many hateful names, but these same people will go into rage if I drop a piece of dirt from my shoe on to their car floor or a piece of food on to their car seat by mistake.

I can understand we don't intend beadbhi by soiling tabaiyaan by any means ...soocham is required of mind and body for that sewa... back in the old days much more risk of that happening understandable now more security against it happening is available . So if one can ensure outer cleanliness along with inner cleanliness there should be no problems? I am not trying to be controversial but trying to be clear so I do no wrong.

Are there any places that have such a strict rule ?

I can understand we don't intend beadbhi by soiling tabaiyaan by any means ...soocham is required of mind and body for that sewa... back in the old days much more risk of that happening understandable now more security against it happening is available . So if one can ensure outer cleanliness along with inner cleanliness there should be no problems? I am not trying to be controversial but trying to be clear so I do no wrong.

Are there any places that have such a strict rule ?

hanji damdami taksal has it , and where ever the head granthi or head is , or its owned by them .

all bibiyan who go there follow this by themselvs this is understandable .

hazur sahib also follows this