Do Afghan Sikhs Mix With Punjabi Sikhs In Marriage?

mrggg123

Hang out about, afghan sikhs r all arora's? I thought most afghan sikhs were indiginous to afghanistan, as theyve been there since guru nanaks days. Also the arora sikhs have been their id imagine from maharaja ranjit singhs campaigns in afghania. I thought afghan sikhs were majority of like pashtun n other surrounding ethnicities.

Ive never met any afghan sikhs, as the town i live in has hardly any sikhs as it is, never mind afghan sikhs.

Regarding the keeping of kesh, u will find sikhs who r NOT panjabi always always r better at keeping their identity intact. Just look at sikhs from jammu/kashmir, UP, deccan, afghanistan, sikhligar sikhs etc.

Starstriker,

Afghan Sikhs are not of pashtun ethnic stock at all. Mostly Arora.

Regarding non-punjabi Sikhs and kesh, yes you're correct. Connecting this with Arora's, you'll note that the Delhi Sikhs are also of this background and yes, also observant Sikhs. However, first cousin marriages are commonplace amongst these Delhi Sikhs too.

Starstriker,

That is not true lot of Afghani Sikhs are Afridi (it is a pashtun tribe). I know for sure lot of Sikhs around Bhai Joga Singh gurdwara in Peshawar and dera area are Afridi which is the same race as Afridi muslims. I know technically this area is in Pakistan, but pashtun don't recognize the border between Pashtun areas. Interestingly, all these Afridi Sikhs carry Ak-47, and I am not exaggerating, all of them do (or at least a few years ago they did)

However, I have never met any sikh afgan refugee, so they could be aroras.

Now I am confused, why most afghan Sikhs will be Aroras and not Afridi.

That is not true lot of Afghani Sikhs are Afridi (it is a pashtun tribe). I know for sure lot of Sikhs around Bhai Joga Singh gurdwara in Peshawar and dera area are Afridi which is the same race as Afridi muslims. I know technically this area is in Pakistan, but pashtun don't recognize the border between Pashtun areas. Interestingly, all these Afridi Sikhs carry Ak-47, and I am not exaggerating, all of them do (or at least a few years ago they did)

However, I have never met any sikh afgan refugee, so they could be aroras.

Now I am confused, why most afghan Sikhs will be Aroras and not Afridi.

You're confusing 'some' Pakistani Sikhs with Afghan Sikhs. Whilst all of Afghanistan's Sikhs are Aroras (with a sprinkling of Khatris), and most of Pakistan's Sikhs also Arora, there are some Sikhs that live in the remote valleys, especially the Tirah valley, of the North West Frontier of Pakistan that are ethnic pathan. Historically, the ones found in Peshawar old town etc were all aroras but lately, as the Punjabi Taliban have made life hard for the remote valley Sikhs, many of those ethnic pathan Sikhs have migrated into Peshawar and the towns.

A little background here, although aroras are technically Khatris, Punjab in terms of business and trade was divided up between those 2 groups. Khatris had what we know as Punjab proper, i.e Lahore, Rawalpindi, Amritsat etc whilst the whole of south west Punjab and the north west frontier was the preserve of the Aroras. So the Aroras had Multan, the mountains, Peshawar etc, and from there they expanded westwards into Afghanistan and Zahedan in Iran (and as far north as Turkmenistan).

The Arora Afghans tend to be quite short from my observations.

Aroras generally have a body build very different to other Sikhs, abd for that reason they were strictly banned from joining the army as they were seen as extremely poor soldiers.

As for their habit of first cousin marriage, a recent in-depth study of the arora and khatri sikhs in pakistan found that 26% of them marry their first cousins, another 29% married their second cousins.

http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals/JSS/JSS-10-0-000-000-2005-Web/JSS-10-3-153-238-2005-Abst-PDF/JSS-10-3-153-157-2005-179-%20Wahab-A/JSS-10-3-153-157-2005-179-Wahab-A.pdf

However, all historical accounts of Khatris and Aroras generally, in Punjab and India, have made clear that first cousin marriage is the norm with them, and as 80% of their group are Hindus, inter-faith marriage between them and Hindus is the norm. In fact, going back to the earlier point, Major Barstow, in his Handbook for military recruitment specifically mentioned how both khatri and Arora Sikhs should never be recruited because they "marrry freely with Hindus" so make very poor fighting men, as they 'half-sikh-half-hindu'.

https://archive.org/stream/AHistoryOfTheSikhs-Volume21839-2004/AHistoryOfTheSikhsSecondEditionVolume2--kushwant-singh-english_djvu.txt

Jagsaw Singh - All Gurus were from Khatri clans, and the sixth and tenth Guru from Khatri clan started the martial race :).

Jagjit Singh Arora in Indian Army was the one got Pakistani Army surrendered.

We all know how many Jatts today practise Sikhism and are in Sikhi swaroop.

Anyways, watch the below video ...

I didn't say anything about them as people. I personally know many of them and think they're lovely people (my next door neighbours are afghan sikh). I merely told you, and evidenced you with, 4 facts: they marry their cousins, are short and were never deemed suitable for military combat and freely inter-marry with Hindus. So what did I say that was wrong ? :wow:

Starstriker,

Regarding non-punjabi Sikhs and kesh, yes you're correct. Connecting this with Arora's, you'll note that the Delhi Sikhs are also of this background and yes, also observant Sikhs. However, first cousin marriages are commonplace amongst these Delhi Sikhs too.

I remember reading a while back, the pakistani sikhs, r all arora sikhs and they ALL marry their cousins, and they have an abundance of disabled kids, which was sad to hear