Sign in to follow this  
intellect4divine

Renaming "the Sikh Temple" To "the Sikh Church"

WJKK WJKF

The buildings are simply bricks and mortar, the teaching is divine and outshines any man made structure.

Maybe we could right on the sign of our gurdware something simple like non Muslim, sikh temple church building, everyone welcome, please come in to the gurdwara.

Simple.

Agree with all of comments above for prachar and sudhar, however I believe I haven't put the question right. Let me put it right What we can do to get out of muslim identity misconception in west. Bhul chuk maaf

I believe there is every reason for Sikhs to look like Muslims since

1. Gurudwaras are made generally in Mosque Dome design, where it can be build in any shape and size.Designing it in church architecture

make it much more inviting to people around.

2. No clear definition and effort made to convey that all are invited inside them.

3. No effort to convey sikhs as Pro-Women, Pro-Environment, Pro-Democracy, Pro-Development people.

Tips:-

1. Write in English instead of "The Sikh Temple" write "The Sikh Church", it is far more inviting.

2. Use Mobile gaming culture to spread identity awareness in kids & adults for ex- Popular games like Subway surfers and

Temple run can have sikh characters.

3. Run Open-Houses in gurudwaras and sikh homes to invite neibhours.

4. Open Facilities like Free Gymnasiums, Yoga centers in huge gurudwaras for everybody.

Use your intellect if you have some before

posting

Agree with all of comments above for prachar and sudhar, however I believe I haven't put the question right. Let me put it right What we can do to get out of muslim identity misconception in west. Bhul chuk maaf

do what we do best langar , sewa, care for our communities , that's means everyone not just desi peeps. a good deed earns more recognition than a leaflet drop

• Like 1

95% of the Muslim world are mona. All the attacks against the west have been committed by Muslims that were mona. The term Sikh Temple was wrong from the day it was introduced. And now you want to dig a deeper hole and start calling Gurdwaras as Sikh Churches? Dig a deeper hole and start calling it Sikh Mosque. The day when Sikhs start respecting their identity by adorning it, is the day people will know the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh. 90% of the Sikh population hide behind their hair cuts and do not want to be identified as Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji's sons and daughters. How many Sikhs do not know the meaning of Gurdwara and in sake of their own pride of looking stupid in front of a person who asked them, they say it means Sikh temple? Yet ask this Sikh about a popular sport and he will name you all the stats from ten years ago. Sikhs mind are not focused toward Sikhi.

In the west we have massive Nagar Kirtan's and never has anyone said, here comes the Muslims. Why because the Nishan Sahib of Sabat Soorat Sikhs are in a big group and we are easily identified as Sikhs. The British had no issue identifying who were Sikhs and Muslims when they invaded India. If disguising was the answer to this issue, the Gurus would have shaved their head bald in Mecca, grown their hair long when meeting the Buddhist, and tied turbans when meeting Hindus.

• Like 1

Well glad ur trying to think abt Sikhism

Veer

And these critics cmmnts and offensive veer's of mine please show respect to our Sikh veer

If u can't then ignore

Sikh veers with full beard and kesh should be friendly with each other

Try to spread love not stupidity u sound like low mind Americans :)

Waheguru ji Ka khalsa waheguru ji Ki fateh

• Like 1

No more posts please, End of debate, thanks guys.

Bro don't let anybody get you down! U thought out your idea with an honest heart!

Don't let negativity shut down your thoughts! U are trying to think about the welfare of the Panth!

I may or may not agree with you but I support your thoughts towards making Sikhi more accessible to youth!

Gyms + apps are needed in more and more Gurdwara's and for more and more youth phones!

Stay in Chardee Kallah!

• Like 2

Looks like we're back to that thing about the definition of the word 'Burger' and how Punjabis seem to suffer from a severe lack of a decent education.....i.e NOT very good at understanding what words mean in the English language.

The word 'Church', in the English language, by very definition, means a CHRISTIAN place of worship. The word itself is part of Chrstianity.

• Like 1

Well glad ur trying to think abt Sikhism

Veer

And these critics cmmnts and offensive veer's of mine please show respect to our Sikh veer

If u can't then ignore

Sikh veers with full beard and kesh should be friendly with each other

Try to spread love not stupidity u sound like low mind Americans :)

Waheguru ji Ka khalsa waheguru ji Ki fateh

No worries veer ji, all is fine, I am not new in this. Although very good thoughts and dedication towards sikh principles and I really appreciate specially the nagar kirtan example.but Veerji, with sad heart I have to say there is no forum in the world where a hindu/jew/christian boy come and get encouraged about sikhi.There is a fine line between Love for Sikhi and Love for my own explanation of Sikhi. We all busy explaining and proving what we think is right. Nobody cares Why. I am an historian and a phycologist and following panthic forums offline and online from around 13 years. Sikh religion is the best religion in the world but sikhs stand nowhere when it comes to rational discussion and phycological thought process. We tend to use explanation of spiritual conduct to put our point in solving the regional issues and if anybody opposes we get agitated.

Bhul chuk maaf .. WJKk WJKF..

With Guru Maharaj mehar daas is an Amritdhari singh. But I am not Punjabi and dont want to be either.

Well that’s that then...another upstart shown short shrift and sent on his way, who did he think he was coming on here with "ideas" and stuff, he'll think twice about doing this again. Weirdly enough that is exactly how Gurdwara committees work. Could we the "new generation" be turning into the committees we so hate and despise...???

Many people (including me ) come here to learn and be inspired, can you honestly say that happens on this forum..? Instead of being a better Sikh than anyone else and sneering at the less learned try teaching us and inspiring us and take us along with you on the journey.

Well done all concerned, carry on chaps!!

• Like 1

Why name church? Church is used for Christians. We are Sikhs, Why not Gurdwara (Gurus Door) Or (Gurus Gateway), as that's wat it is.

Ideas to attract to Gurdwara are needed yes, but you can't take the Sikhi out of Sikhi.

Paji intellect4divine take a look at this, they have some good ideas.

• Like 1

Why name church? Church is used for Christians.

No, you don't seem to understand fully. The word isn't merely 'used' for and by Christians. It is, in actual fact, a word invented by Christians specifically to signify a CHRISTIAN place or worship. The word itself is then part and parcel of Christianity. The word belongs to them. The ironic thing here, very pertinent o the title of this thread, is that the King James version actually specified that Christians moved from using the word 'temple' to 'church' specifically to highlight it's Christianity.

• Like 2

No, you don't seem to understand fully. The word isn't merely 'used' for and by Christians. It is, in actual fact, a word invented by Christians specifically to signify a CHRISTIAN place or worship. The word itself is then part and parcel of Christianity. The word belongs to them. The ironic thing here, very pertinent o the title of this thread, is that the King James version actually specified that Christians moved from using the word 'temple' to 'church' specifically to highlight it's Christianity.

interesting info. In Punjab I've heard many people call Christian church as "GirjaGhar". Maybe Girja must mean Church in Punjabi