Sikh Girls Marrying Muslim Boys

Big Tera,

You're walking right into this mate. Your fighting the symptoms, not the underlying pathology - which is what Jagsaw as well as others on here have eluded to. No point treating the symptoms and ignoring the pathology.

The fact is, most sikhs are not amritdhari, and the ones that are, are academically less able than those who aren't. This is the crux of the debate. What turns the intellectuals away?

Another reason why the ratios are skewed is that some amritdhari (and non-amritdhari) men still marry girls from India. Hence, for women, there is fewer choice in the UK/Canada/US/Australia/NZ etc. The reason I didn't mention this in my earlier post is because this group of men is mostly less educated (not always) and wasn't relevant to the discussion. However, maybe, the less educated guys are marrying girls from India, leaving the educated women with even fewer options. Firstly, because there aren't as many educated Sikh men in the first instance (compared to Sikh women) and secondly, even if a Sikh woman was to settle for a less educated guy than herself (not so likely nowadays but still, even if) then there's a shortage of them too because they get married in India.

So what is the girl to do?

There's no point shouting outside gurdwaraes when mixed-faith marriages occur (symptoms). It's too late by then. We got to look at the pathology, underlying reasons, of how we got to this situation.

Big Tera,

You're walking right into this mate. Your fighting the symptoms, not the underlying pathology - which is what Jagsaw as well as others on here have eluded to. No point treating the symptoms and ignoring the pathology.

The fact is, most sikhs are not amritdhari, and the ones that are, are academically less able than those who aren't. This is the crux of the debate. What turns the intellectuals away?

Another reason why the ratios are skewed is that some amritdhari (and non-amritdhari) men still marry girls from India. Hence, for women, there is fewer choice in the UK/Canada/US/Australia/NZ etc. The reason I didn't mention this in my earlier post is because this group of men is mostly less educated (not always) and wasn't relevant to the discussion. However, maybe, the less educated guys are marrying girls from India, leaving the educated women with even fewer options. Firstly, because there aren't as many educated Sikh men in the first instance (compared to Sikh women) and secondly, even if a Sikh woman was to settle for a less educated guy than herself (not so likely nowadays but still, even if) then there's a shortage of them too because they get married in India.

So what is the girl to do?

There's no point shouting outside gurdwaraes when mixed-faith marriages occur (symptoms). It's too late by then. We got to look at the pathology, underlying reasons, of how we got to this situation.

This problem is actually very big if not bigger in the muslim community. There is a big difference in the ratio of muslim girls and boys. most muslim males go to pakistan to get married. leaving a shortage of muslim males for the muslim females.

this is further exacerbated as most muslim males are uneducated cab drivers wheras muslim girls have become very educated ie doctors/lawayers ect. hence muslim girls have a shortage of educated muslim males. bbut do we see muslim girls marrying sikh or hindu males? there answer is No.

Lets no make excuses for Sikh girls theres plenty of good looking sikh guys out there for them to chose who ere educated and respectful. instead of the great and noble ahmeds and abduls.

Guest Jacfsing2

We keep making the same stupid excuses for the same thing, simple answer: no Amrit, no Sikh! Rehat Pyara Mujh Ko Sikh Pyara Nahi, because without Amrit there is no Sikhs! If these were Amritdhari it would mean something, the same could go for "sikh" men marrying non-Sikhs. I don't care what the excuses.

So the hypothesis is:

- Educated Sikh girl cannot find educated Sikh guy of equal status and will not marry less educated Sikh male with less status.

-Less educated Sikh male cannot find Sikh girl in home country therefore goes to Punjab to find girl where his status is higher.

-This leaves lower pool of eligible Sikh males for the highly educated Sikh women.

-Therefore highly educated Sikh female goes for highly educated non-Sikh male of equal or higher status.

-Highly educated Muslim female all the above except that she still marries a Muslim male.

The question is then why is it so different for both sets of females?

I think it is rare for a highly educated sikh girl to marry a muslim. I only know of one case. Its not as if they will struggle to find another educated sikh guy. we as indians have arranged marriages which makes it easier to find someone.

I think it is rare for a highly educated sikh girl to marry a muslim. I only know of one case. Its not as if they will struggle to find another educated sikh guy. we as indians have arranged marriages which makes it easier to find someone.

It would be interesting to get some statistics to see how many highly educated academically superior Sikh women marry non-Sikh and if they do marry non-Sikh what the reasons are for it.

Guest Jacfsing2

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe you said somewhere that you haven't yet received Amrit. Do you therefore not consider yourself a Sikh?

That is a true statement, I am not fully Sikh but I still wait for the day when Guru Sahib blesses me with Amrit. It is my own Haumai that I haven't done so yet.