Sikh Events

Big_Tera

Its good you are organising these events. First thing you need to get straight is that a Gurdwara is not a 'temple'.

Personally, I'd take them to visit Park Avenue on a Sunday afternoon just after midday as it is far busier than Havelock and the experience I find is more suited to finding inner peace. For info, November 15, is when the Nagar Kirtan takes place in Southall for Guru Nanak Sahibs Gurpurab.

If non Sikhs want to experience meditation, take them to Park Avenue any day between 0400-0500 in the morning for Simran.

Outside of this there are many University Sikh soc events that take place frequently in and around London.

Then of course you have the Langar Seva Societies performing excellent work in London and the Midlands.

Thanks for the information. That was very helpful. Yes i was thinking of langar and kirtan events.

1. You could go to the Sikh museum, and learn about the Sikh heritage.

http://www.nationalsikhmuseum.com

2. Invite Basics of Sikhi or go to one of their sessions.

3. Go to see and participate in the seva the charities such as SWAT, Midlands Langar Seva Society do.

4. Attend a Kirtan samagam.

the only thing is the events are based in london only. but thanks for the links.

the only thing is the events are based in london only. but thanks for the links.

Come on now 'Big Tera', use your brains. Just from the top of my head you've got the Khalsa cannons with Gurmukhi inscriptions guarding Chelsea Hospital, you've got the inscriptions about the Anglo-Sikh Wars in Trafalgar Sqaure, you've got the khalsa standards at westminster abbey, you've got our koh-e-noor at the tower , you've got maharaja ranjit singh's golden throne at the V&A.

This is London, my friend. London and the history of the Sikhs are linked. Use your brains and open your eyes. You're not in Budapest wondering what Sikh related things you can show people. You're in London. Wake up.

Come on now 'Big Tera', use your brains. Just from the top of my head you've got the Khalsa cannons with Gurmukhi inscriptions guarding Chelsea Hospital, you've got the inscriptions about the Anglo-Sikh Wars in Trafalgar Sqaure, you've got the khalsa standards at westminster abbey, you've got our koh-e-noor at the tower , you've got maharaja ranjit singh's golden throne at the V&A.

This is London, my friend. London and the history of the Sikhs are linked. Use your brains and open your eyes. You're not in Budapest wondering what Sikh related things you can show people. You're in London. Wake up.

Lolll

In addition to V&A there are quality Indo-Persian weapons at the The Wallace Collection. Haven't been there for 20 odd years, but there is a breast plate with Gurbani inscription, small Sikh weapons and other impressive armour on the first floor.

Thanks for that Inderjit. I'd not been to the Wallace Collection before.

This looks interesting and worth seeing. Maharaja Ranjit Singh's gold mounted shamshir :

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMuseumPlus?service=direct/1/ResultLightboxView/result.t1.collection_lightbox.$TspTitleImageLink.link&sp=10&sp=Scollection&sp=SfieldValue&sp=0&sp=2&sp=2&sp=Slightbox_3x4&sp=0&sp=Sdetail&sp=0&sp=F&sp=T&sp=0

And this one is definately worth investigating further as it states its a helmet specifically designed for Sikhs as it is made to accomodate a "top knot" ? : http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMuseumPlus?service=direct/1/ResultLightboxView/result.t2.collection_lightbox.$TspTitleLink.link&sp=10&sp=Scollection&sp=SfieldValue&sp=0&sp=2&sp=2&sp=Slightbox_3x4&sp=0&sp=Sdetail&sp=0&sp=F&sp=T&sp=1