Meaning

Big_Tera

Interesting read. But it does not mention if they are bhats, tharkan, jatts, labana ect.

Maybe they are not from these communities but something different altogether,

p.s this thread is not about caste promotion or anything like that as I dont believe in that just interested in the name and if they have same beliefs as Sikhs or just follow some festivals.

Anyone know what community surname is Mahajan? Never came across this name before but it seems they originate from Amritsar.

You seem to mistakingly equate Amritsar to 'Majha' quite alot Big Tera. Yes Amritsar is in Majha, but it is only one very small part of it. :nono:

Essentialy, the short story is that the Sikh Mahajans are the off-spring of the Hindu Khatri money lenders who deliberately made one of their sons 'Sikh' in order to financially prosper during the Khalsa Raj period when Sikhs ruled an empire. Those money lenders knew that in order to benefit from a monetary point of view from this wide and powerful empire, they would need to have at least one foot in the 'Sikh' camp. At the end of the day then, they are the people that existed throughout Majha (Gurdaspur, Lahore, Sahiwal etc etc) and throughout the Sikh empire to the north, east and north west of Majha, who were universally despised (as all money lenders are) for benefitting from people's misfortunes and debts. In order to protect the rural land-owning Sikhs of Punjab from these people the British enacted the Punjab Land Act which prohibted agricultural land in Punjab passing into the hands of these people.

You seem to mistakingly equate Amritsar to 'Majha' quite alot Big Tera. Yes Amritsar is in Majha, but it is only one very small part of it. :nono:

Essentialy, the short story is that the Sikh Mahajans are the off-spring of the Hindu Khatri money lenders who deliberately made one of their sons 'Sikh' in order to financially prosper during the Khalsa Raj period when Sikhs ruled an empire. Those money lenders knew that in order to benefit from a monetary point of view from this wide and powerful empire, they would need to have at least one foot in the 'Sikh' camp. At the end of the day then, they are the people that existed throughout Majha (Gurdaspur, Lahore, Sahiwal etc etc) and throughout the Sikh empire to the north, east and north west of Majha, who were universally despised (as all money lenders are) for benefitting from people's misfortunes and debts. In order to protect the rural land-owning Sikhs of Punjab from these people the British enacted the Punjab Land Act which prohibted agricultural land in Punjab passing into the hands of these people.

What is wrong with lending money to people who need it aslong as it is all fair and honest? These people made their first son Sikh as a thanks to Sikhs who did so much for India. So that is commendable and noble act not done out of any other reason such as greed.

What is wrong with lending money to people who need it aslong as it is all fair and honest? These people made their first son Sikh as a thanks to Sikhs who did so much for India. So that is commendable and noble act not done out of any other reason such as greed.

It's one of the reasons some would say contributed to anti-Semitism throughout the centuries, I.E. Jewish money lenders.

I partially agree with you. If not for money lending institutions like banks we wouldn't be able to buy a house or a car.

However in my opinion, there should be some constraints on money lenders or money lending institutions. For example, compounding interest rates is pure theft and should be banned around the world. In case you're wondering what it is, it is interest on top of interest.

Secondly money lenders should not be able to cart of ones goods or put that person through the cleaners just because another defaulted due to personal misfortunes. The money lender should be bear some of the risk. In the US they have laws called chapter 7 and chapter 11 that prevents a financial institution from selling all your wealth.

statement is ll wrong. it was made by hindus to counter sikhs. still today rss, vhp made such statements and launch ghar vapsi abhians.