Prohibitions In Sikhism

True, but drugs have been used in the past by the purattan Sikhs and the Nihangs. They are part and parcel of the Sikh kaum and its culture. Why are they so alarmed at the recent reports suggesting that the youth/grown ups' are becoming hooked on them? Why have they not tried to find a solution to this problem by studying the Sikh history?

Why was cannabis, opium, marijuana etc used by those characters we think are truly spiritual? Their psychic experiences namely 'darshans or tinkling of bells and instruments they claimed to have heard, while in so called drug induced "samadhies" were nothing but hallucinations caused by cannabis, opium and the rest!!

I am appalled at my findings. I am beginning to ask questions as to 'does god really exist?' Could it be a creature of our imagination and fantasies? Is it just a concept invented by greedy, money making idiots, who will do anything to mislead the millions into a dark bottomless pit!

From today onwards, I am going to stop going to the gurdwara and take some time off from work to carry out my own private research as to why and what role did drugs play in the relgion of Sikhism? Why were they in usage during the times of our gurus, the purattan Sikhs and the Nihangs of those times? Why do the present day Nihangs still use them?

After reading all the comments posted on the topic of 'shaheedi degh' by various posters, I am totally baffled and today I am going to question my faith in Sikhism and Sikhi, for the first time in my life! I am at the verge of losing my faith in this religion. I was working so hard to bring my children up in this faith, now I am not sure. I never knew drugs were ever connected with Sikhism. No one ever spoke about this ever.!

I am an Amritdarry Sikh. I am shocked and appalled.

I confirm for you that I take no drugs at all - no alcohol, no painkillers, no strong coffee and neither have. Reading the Guru Granth Sahib and simran will give you experiences and dreams like you never imagined. So don't loose faith. It happens. All you need to do is keep going. Read the following link and you will get further encouragement.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/12279-meditation-my-experiance-am-i-allowed-to-share/

It is too early to start to doubt your faith. Be careful what you read. Make sure you read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji which is your Guru Ji.

There is no place of drugs in Sikhi. It seems to me like a planting from the enemy of Sikhi. In mu days, there were no books or literature which promoted this type of connection. The link above will guide you to the correct interpretation of these experiences. They do happen and many have experienced them.

I don't think these people are educated enough to realise how drug dependency can destroy entire generations.

Besides, people in Punjab relying on drugs could be the reincarnations of the purattan Sikhs or singhs or Nihangs, paying for their past karma. This new knowledge of mine has destroyed everything I thought about Sikhism in the past. There does not seem to be any sacredness or holiness anymore.

If our ancestors were using them then they have failed to prove or explain this in a proper perspective. This is what I mean by "uneducated!'

before you started pontificating did you ever consider that Guru ji advised against certain foods,substances for reasons that are only being discovered by the scientists now . e.g. cigarettes apart from direct consumption poisoning the body and creating cancers has an genetic component which curses future generations with reduced fertility , Guru ji said himself that so many generations would be affected .

The lack of faith that you talk about is due to your chanchal mat not doubts because of reading about some aspect of sikh behaviour you have no understanding of ...I mean read Jail Letters, In search of the True Guru , Bandaginama these are all autobiographies by Gursikhs who never touched any substances ...then tell me Waheguru ji doesn't exist , That Guru Sahiban don't exist ...

you choose to take or not , you choose to eat chatka or not , nothing is forced on you so stop being so 'offended' Sikhi is a personal relationship with Akal Purakh ultimately there are plenty plenty people claiming to be A1 sikhs because they don't eat chatka, drink shaheedi degh etc but they have no love or true acceptance of others .

I don't think these people are educated enough to realise how drug dependency can destroy entire generations.

Besides, people in Punjab relying on drugs could be the reincarnations of the purattan Sikhs or singhs or Nihangs, paying for their past karma. This new knowledge of mine has destroyed everything I thought about Sikhism in the past. There does not seem to be any sacredness or holiness anymore.

If our ancestors were using them then they have failed to prove or explain this in a proper perspective. This is what I mean by "uneducated!'

Compose yourself. You're being over-dramatic. God knows what you'd do if you were confronted with something that actually challenged your faith.

I don't agree or endorse the consumption of "Shaheedi Degh", but it's not caused me to spiral into depression to learn it may have been consumed a few centuries ago. There's a clear demarcation between it's use on the battlefield to tend to injuries and ailments, and the modern drug epidemic that's ravaging the Sikh population of Punjab.

Your hyperbole is disturbing.

Compose yourself. You're being over-dramatic. God knows what you'd do if you were confronted with something that actually challenged your faith.

I don't agree or endorse the consumption of "Shaheedi Degh", but it's not caused me to spiral into depression to learn it may have been consumed a few centuries ago. There's a clear demarcation between it's use on the battlefield to tend to injuries and ailments, and the modern drug epidemic that's ravaging the Sikh population of Punjab.

Your hyperbole is disturbing.

Thanks.