Side businesses and jobs

Big_Tera

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Well, bro, there are two aspects of Sikhism: miri and piri. Miri is the temporal, worldly aspect.

In order to have resources to conduct miri, you have to have money. And that's what he's asking about.

So why not ask your Sikh brothers about good ways to earn money, that will also be in accord with dharam di kirat? Where else would he ask that? General forums don't care about a business being in accord with Sikh maryada or not.

I grant that this particular forum "What's Happening" might not have been appropriate, but the question is indeed vital for us as Sikhs.

Miri Piri.  Miri is about money?   I've never come across this and find it difficult to understand.

Also, what is DHARAM DI KIRAT?  How is that different from KIRAT ? 

Isn't KIRAT done as per karams, since this body is given to perform the weight of karams ..bani says Karmee avai kaprah.?

Another question, You also say(imply) that Maya=Money.    My question is  "WHAT IS MAYA?"  is it confined to money?

3 hours ago, JUSTAJATT said:

Miri Piri.  Miri is about money?   I've never come across this and find it difficult to understand.

Also, what is DHARAM DI KIRAT?  How is that different from KIRAT ? 

Isn't KIRAT done as per karams, since this body is given to perform the weight of karams ..bani says Karmee avai kaprah.?

Another question, You also say(imply) that Maya=Money.    My question is  "WHAT IS MAYA?"  is it confined to money?

Miri is about being self-reliant a sikh should haveknowledge of how the world works, raise his/her game and gain financial/political/physical  independance so that he/she cannot be manipulated into going against Guru ji's updesh just keep roti on the table for their families i.e. becoming beggars for their job's sake. Farming was good because even if you c ouldn't sell you could still barter, feed own family but now we have to adapt to the current world and jobs are no longer plentiful so everyone who is sensible is looking for alternate sources of income.

20 hours ago, JUSTAJATT said:

you're right. This forum and most of the posts are totally irrelevant. Many years ago you could come on here and learn a lot of things from old members. Nowadays, I come on here and leave with "polluted" mind. ......No good for spirituality. Knocks you down many notches.

Making money to survive is irrelevant?

Making money is essential to our survival. Also when you make money you can also give to the poor. 

Sikhs are meant to give 10% of wealth to the needy. But Justjatt obviously think money grows on trees and we dont need to work. Maybe he shouldnt bother entering the topic and just read topics he is interested in the future.  Very simple to do. And your mind wont so polluted. 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, Big_Tera said:

Making money to survive is irrelevant?

Making money is essential to our survival. Also when you make money you can also give to the poor. 

Sikhs are meant to give 10% of wealth to the needy. But Justjatt obviously think money grows on trees and we dont need to work. Maybe he shouldnt bother entering the topic and just read topics he is interested in the future.  Very simple to do. And your mind wont so polluted. 

you spend 100% of your wages on goat meat by the sounds of it lol

On 6/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, BhForce said:

Do you have 3700 pounds?

Buy a small car (Datsun Go, Maruti Alto, etc.) in India. They cost around 330000 rupees.

Sign up with Ola (similar to Uber) as an owner of the cab, and hire a deserving, poor Sikh as a driver for 15000 rupees per month. You'll take in about 50000 rupees per month.  You'll know where your cab is at all times.

Hire 2 drivers to drive day and night, and you double your take.

You achieve 2 goals: make money, and help Sikhs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ola+micro

Sounds interesting. I have used ola on many occasions while in India. But dont go India that much. But a great idea to help the needy. Will look into that. 

At the moment I thinks its looking like a property investment for the time being and will defo be either in manchester, birmingham areas. London is defo out of the question. Prices are way to high. 

Incidentally jkvlondon, do you know which mortgage is best. Buy to let or a residential one?

I have heard you can rent out on the buy to let one. But interest rates are higher. 

But some find a way to let out on a residential mortgage and get around the legal complexities of doing this somehow.  

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Sounds interesting. I have used ola on many occasions while in India. But dont go India that much. But a great idea to help the needy. Will look into that. 

At the moment I thinks its looking like a property investment for the time being and will defo be either in manchester, birmingham areas. London is defo out of the question. Prices are way to high. 

Incidentally jkvlondon, do you know which mortgage is best. Buy to let or a residential one?

I have heard you can rent out on the buy to let one. But interest rates are higher. 

But some find a way to let out on a residential mortgage and get around the legal complexities of doing this somehow.  

buy it on resedential and air BNB it , that way you are covered by insurance of airbnb for damages , plus your rental rates will be higher than a regular renter. e.g. in Liverpool or Manchester near the touristy/historical areas , people are always hiring in those place s (I know because  we did  on our way to Ireland).

29 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

buy it on resedential and air BNB it , that way you are covered by insurance of airbnb for damages , plus your rental rates will be higher than a regular renter. e.g. in Liverpool or Manchester near the touristy/historical areas , people are always hiring in those place s (I know because  we did  on our way to Ireland).

Yeh I have heard about airbnb. But not sure if it would work long term. As it all depends if you get a steady stream of people who will rent it out. With a regular renter at least you know you will get the rent paid long term and not have to worry about getting more one off stays. 

Its pretty hit and miss. If your lucky to find a place in a touristy area. Then it might work out with people making bookings regularly. 

I just hope I have enough for the deposit.

In this kalyug, everyone does need a side business or investment in order to survive properly.

I was running a very good profit making food business which i sold it because it was more than side business and added too much stress on my young family. So food business is NEVER a side business unless a slow one, which i would never suggest to get into unless you have extra trustable manpower (which is almost impossible in west). 

I don't know your age but age do matter on starting a side business. If you are ok to wait for 5+ years to work on everyday until you see good profit then you should go in service industry which can be anything - brokers, RE agents etc. 

You can also check out with amazon reseller but again that market is also very saturated unless you have unique item. If you do that way then if you become success at it with few sku and then you can flip it via Empire Flippers.

I would encourage you to take it easy on side business - not overnight success but make sure you do something on side. I would encourage you to search for something that has high entry barrier for others to enter.

Interesting topic.

Good Luck. 

-----

On 6/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, S1ngh said:

In this kalyug, everyone does need a side business or investment in order to survive properly.

I was running a very good profit making food business which i sold it because it was more than side business and added too much stress on my young family. So food business is NEVER a side business unless a slow one, which i would never suggest to get into unless you have extra trustable manpower (which is almost impossible in west). 

I don't know your age but age do matter on starting a side business. If you are ok to wait for 5+ years to work on everyday until you see good profit then you should go in service industry which can be anything - brokers, RE agents etc. 

You can also check out with amazon reseller but again that market is also very saturated unless you have unique item. If you do that way then if you become success at it with few sku and then you can flip it via Empire Flippers.

I would encourage you to take it easy on side business - not overnight success but make sure you do something on side. I would encourage you to search for something that has high entry barrier for others to enter.

Interesting topic.

Good Luck. 

-----

That is very interesting. 

I think the era when you would get a good wage just doing a normal day to day job is gone. Buisness is how you make the big money. Unless you are a doctor of course who rake it in.