Beard

buddasingh

In your situation, nothing wrong with tying. But in some places there is something very wrong with tying. That is many people's reason for tying is to "look neat". Ever heard the expression "clean" shaven. I always say clean bearded and dirty shaven.

I wear a suit and tie and am in a very conservative profession and let the beard flow and wear bright color dastars. I think the self confidence is what people are attracted to. Some people feel intimidated, not because of the look, but the fact that they know I am carefree and will speak my mind.

We see many people in the west sometimes less than confident about standing out and wanting to be sikh but worried about fitting in. This will sometimes exhibit itself in the west with dastars as "BOLUH syndrome" black only like ur hair (with respect for those genuinely black for simplicity), or "SDS" shrinking dastar syndrome, or "SBS" shrinking beard syndrome. Now there are absolutely shameful variants of the above such as trimming your beard, or gangsta style headscarves.

Often things such as BOLUH, SBS and SDS are entry points for the transition from patka, ramal to dhari dastar. They were for me. If you carry yourself with genuine confidence, your heavy bright orange dastar, flowing dhari and smile will garner great respect.

So tie your beard if necc. for practical purposes. But be honest about recognizing the difference between practical and weak. Your strength is relative to your own principles not by the majority psychiatrically ill appearance infatuated population.

• 3 years later...

wjkk wjkf

i am 18 years old and ive been tieing my dari for about 2 years now. my dari 6-7 cm long and i use gell to keep it looking neat. i used to use small rubber bands to tie it, but they broke easy and now i use plastic ones which dont break. As iam always usually running around and it is usualy hot weather around here, i sweat heaps and my dari gets sticky and annoying. Is there anyway i can still have my dari nice and flat and firm without using gell?

my second question is that i use plastic band to tie my dari up and then fold it. But at times due to sticky weather the dari doesnt fold properly and doesnt hold in place. can someone please make a video of how to use pins in a dari so i can watch and learn or a correct way of folding it. i cannot keep it open as i must shave or keep it tied up so it isnt open.

if anyone has suggestions for me it would be really much appriciated

thank you

Veerpratap Singh

sikhboys@hotmail.com

Veerpartap Singh, you could use hairspray. It isn't uncommon that people ONLY use hairspray and not any gel. This shouldn't make it all gou-y like the gel does.

Basically you just apply hairspray, use your dari brush, and keep applying hairspray untill your happy with it; use the rubber band and tuck it in like your normally do. So use hairspray instead of gel.

Budda Singh, I think it's a matter or preference. Although I don't tie my beard, I don't mind other doing so, neither would I be surprised if I did tie it in a matter of years.

There isn’t any reason why you should NOT tie your beard.

Unless of course you think flowing looks better - but again it's a matter of preference.

Tying beard doesn't mean you're less proud of it.

Shaheeds of the past didn't use stoves to cook their food - they used fire. Surely we must all go back to that as well? Who are we to question the way they used to cook their food? Surely we must use fire to.

I'll be at least as proud of my beard when/if I tie it, as I am with it flowing.

Stop trying to portray that tying beard is related to shame or lack of pride. It's people who make such statements that turn people off of Sikhi...

whats cooking got 2 do with this??lol

ok so why tie a beard?most of us youthh dnt have a very long dhari anwway not like some baba's at teh gudwareh etc. so its not as if it gets in the way of whatever we do?ive seen people put hairpins, gel, hairspray all sorts in their dhari. we shud be as natural as poss. allso tucked in dhari's look trimmed sumtimes. so whether u wanna admit it or not i dont think u shud tuck it in. be proud

Since you're quite young, you would realize that newgrowing beard can also look as if you've just trimmed it - so what?

Sherlsurj, the reason I mentioned cooking, was because of your flawed logic "they never did it before...so we can't do it today either."

As I said, it's a personal preference. If you like to have a flowing beard - fine. If you prefer tying it then fair enough.

We should respect other people, whether they wear a Dumalla or a Kenyan Pagh, whether they tie their dhara or not.

ur point about respect is true but i 4 one wud respect sum1 more if they didnt tie tehir dhari up. theres no logic behind it. i still feel that peeps who do r ashamed maybe they just dnt know it or want to know it. but thats only my opinion. i hate the use of gel, hairpins etc to me thats like modifying ur hair as like hair dye. to the original poster let ur beard down u wnt even be conscious of the fact thats ita untied after a bit.

ps-im 23 and i dont think a newgrowing dhari ever looks trimmed!futeh