Beard

buddasingh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I'm having bit of a problem with my beard, now I go to meetings and in my field I will be taking care of preschool kids which are gora, most of them are gora kids. And preschool kid tend to get messy and touch your face a lot and one time one kid got paint stuck in my beard and I didn't know about it and when her mother came to pick her up she was disgusted and upset with me.

Now my question is do we have to have our beard flowing out? To Me it doesn't look presentable so I now tuck it in. But I have to use globs and globs of Gel which is gross and becomes crusty and hard and goeey and sticky ewww, I use to trim it but then stopped, I'm really worried and I need this job and I've been told that I must look clean what is that I can do with my beard?

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

personally i don't think tying ur beard is WRONG... i jes wouldn't do it myself.. but obviously sometimes the situation arises where it would be best to tie ur dari...for example a singh working in a mechanic shop or working around mechanical/electrical equipment... keeping ur beard untied can be very dangerous and in some fields of work mite get in the way.. now for ur situation.. yes kids are dirty.. especially gora ones :wub: hehehe jokes jokes.. but seriously.. if tha's the situation..then i think it would be okay to tie ur dari.... especially if ur at risk of gettin paint and other thingz stuck in ur dari... on top of that .. how embarassing would it be to walk around wit paint stuck in ur beard??? ur dari should be kept clean as well.. so tying it up would probably make sense in ur situation...i know many gursikhs that tie they're beard and they're still amazing gursikhs...to me i think i's okay...

but at the same time... keep it untied whenever possible.. then others see a GURSIKH.. u know what i mean? (not to say that tying ur dari would make u NOT look like a gursikh.. but i hope u get what i mean)... tha's like our 'mane'..however u spell it... like a lion that has his 'mane' around his neck...

personally i think it looks better if one has his beard OUT and in the open..

hope i helped..

Tying your beard is not wrong and those who say it is wrong they need to take care of their own business :wub: (though i prefer the beard to be open :e: )

Try to limit the use of gel as some stong gels can break off your beard and many other long term negative effects to your beard (for example color changes, getting bald and so on) Even if you choose to use gel, then go for the least strong on and use it with water. Anyway, i would tie my beard (very loose non-indian style) if my future work conditions require me to for the safety or any other reason. So yeah.. if you think that having beard tucked is needed for your work place and so on.. then go for it, otherwise keep it open.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I personally like it flowing, my beard out and flowing but tucked in I do not like it, i Hope it's not against gurmat for keeping it tucked in. I've been facing a lot of problems with my beard at my workplace that I might even hae to remove my turban which I highly doubt will do that~thats a no way in my book~and the field that I'm going into has sooo many goras and most of them are kids and cannot understand and get scared when you have your beard flowing and they pull on it and stuff, grr. BUt I just hope it's not against gurmat for tucking in your beard...but I agree it looks better out flowing. grin.gif

I think what you do is take the kesh on left side of your face and roll it together...do the same with right side, and get it really straigh and tight, and then merge them together in a knot at the bottom of your face.

You will look like this: :wub: ))))

I think that is the way...never done it or seen someone do.. :wub:

My dhari is too small so i have no such worries.

the easiest and most comfortable way to tie up your dari is

first apply some gel...not too muc...then comb the dari with dari brush...and then just tie a small knot underneath your chin...not too tight....cuz the secret is ...use some of your mom's pins to pin the knot up....this way you don't have to feel all tight and uncomfortable...i had to tie my dari during the summer as i was working in a research lab and totally didn't wanna burn off my dari with any of the reagents...

I have tied my dari a few times... but i's not even that long yet... what also seems to work in the place of gel is lotion.. rub ur hands wit lotion and jes like go down ur dari with ur hands... kinda moistens it up.. then go through it with a dari brush.. and well the rest... do what JSS said..

some people don't even need pins ... so jes deal wit what works for you