Male pattern baldness and Confidence

Guest A Human Being

Guest A Human Being

Sat Sri Akal Sariyaan nu.

I am at a bit of crossroads in my life and needed some guidance from people here who might be more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I am 28, I am not very religious , like I very rarely do path,but I do try to uphold the values of Sikhi and apply it in my life wherever I can. I suffer from male pattern baldness, so much that so that I pretty much have lost my hair on the front and top.

This used to bother me somewhat but since I wear a turban, it was not that noticeable to people.

Recently however a lot of my relatives , most of who are practicing sikhs themselves, joke sometimes about my receding hairline and comment that I should marry fast before I lose the rest of it too. My sister even recommended shaving my head off but to continue tying the turban.

I have talked to doctors about possible treatments. They recommend rogaine and Minoxidil, but they require multiple applications per day, which require like 30 mins, and this seems redundant to me as I tie a turban anyways.

Hair transplant doesn't change the volume of hair so the joora pretty much remains the same. And doctors mentioned if I tie a turban you will lose the transplanted hair in a little while.

I am crossroads in my life and I have decided to make my choice now and accept it and live with it. These are my options as I see it

Accept my natural hair loss, and continue living my life as a Sikh.

Shave off my head and continue tying a turban.

Get a hair transplant and apply rogaine on my hair to try to grow them back and stop tying a turban.

I am inclined to go for the first or second option because being a Sikh is part of my identity at this point (at least externally), that it is really hard for me to live with out one. At a personal level I can accept my natural hair loss but the attitude of some of my relatives and family concerns me. I can justify to non sikhs(I live outside of Punjab) my choice to keep hair despite growing bald as part of my faith, but if people who are sikhs themselves make fun of it, I am a bit concerned.

How common is hair loss among Sikhs? How do we justify keeping hair when we are growing bald. How will my future wife feel about balding hair and my justification to keep it. How can I grow accepting of my situation and continue to live with it. 

My logic for sikhs keeping the 5 k's has always been that is a form of symbolism , similar to an army uniform, and wearing it helps you keep disciplined and ease into the way of life expected from a Sikh, similar to how a army man would feel empowered and responsible wearing an army uniform of his country, while he may not feel the same in civilians clothes in a civilian setting. Symbolism is at the core of human psychology, and I have always apprectiated the khalsa even though I am not a Amritdhari Sikh myself

I guess people's views affect me a little, cause at some point in my core, I do find it a bit ironical to keep hair while you are almost bald, and I am struggling to come to terms with it. If keeping my hair does not feel empowered as a Sikh, but rather I worry about it's thinking, should I change the situation or my thinking about it.

Guest A human being

Thanks, I just wanted to know what the attitude of Sikh society is towards baldness. How do balding Sikhs keep their hair well kept with falling hair , as forming a jooda would be hard with no hair on top and front.

I believe your attitude towards a situation matters more than a situation, and I can face any rebuke from people as long as my thoughts are clear, but I am struggling a little bit with my falling hair.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

I bumped into Harjap Singh Bhangal a few months ago...the legal advice phone-in guy from the TV. He did what alot of apne have done and went to Jalandhar (the international home of hair transplant clinics) to get a transplant done. Man I swear the dude looks about 20 years younger. Not just the hair though...he's obviously combined it with a general change of lifestyle...going to the gym etc...but man he looks buff. 

On 11/3/2018 at 1:14 AM, Guest A Human Being said:

Sat Sri Akal Sariyaan nu.

I am at a bit of crossroads in my life and needed some guidance from people here who might be more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I am 28, I am not very religious , like I very rarely do path,but I do try to uphold the values of Sikhi and apply it in my life wherever I can. I suffer from male pattern baldness, so much that so that I pretty much have lost my hair on the front and top.

This used to bother me somewhat but since I wear a turban, it was not that noticeable to people.

Recently however a lot of my relatives , most of who are practicing sikhs themselves, joke sometimes about my receding hairline and comment that I should marry fast before I lose the rest of it too. My sister even recommended shaving my head off but to continue tying the turban.

I have talked to doctors about possible treatments. They recommend rogaine and Minoxidil, but they require multiple applications per day, which require like 30 mins, and this seems redundant to me as I tie a turban anyways.

Hair transplant doesn't change the volume of hair so the joora pretty much remains the same. And doctors mentioned if I tie a turban you will lose the transplanted hair in a little while.

I am crossroads in my life and I have decided to make my choice now and accept it and live with it. These are my options as I see it

Accept my natural hair loss, and continue living my life as a Sikh.

Shave off my head and continue tying a turban.

Get a hair transplant and apply rogaine on my hair to try to grow them back and stop tying a turban.

I am inclined to go for the first or second option because being a Sikh is part of my identity at this point (at least externally), that it is really hard for me to live with out one. At a personal level I can accept my natural hair loss but the attitude of some of my relatives and family concerns me. I can justify to non sikhs(I live outside of Punjab) my choice to keep hair despite growing bald as part of my faith, but if people who are sikhs themselves make fun of it, I am a bit concerned.

How common is hair loss among Sikhs? How do we justify keeping hair when we are growing bald. How will my future wife feel about balding hair and my justification to keep it. How can I grow accepting of my situation and continue to live with it. 

My logic for sikhs keeping the 5 k's has always been that is a form of symbolism , similar to an army uniform, and wearing it helps you keep disciplined and ease into the way of life expected from a Sikh, similar to how a army man would feel empowered and responsible wearing an army uniform of his country, while he may not feel the same in civilians clothes in a civilian setting. Symbolism is at the core of human psychology, and I have always apprectiated the khalsa even though I am not a Amritdhari Sikh myself

I guess people's views affect me a little, cause at some point in my core, I do find it a bit ironical to keep hair while you are almost bald, and I am struggling to come to terms with it. If keeping my hair does not feel empowered as a Sikh, but rather I worry about it's thinking, should I change the situation or my thinking about it.

Forget any of these treatments. They work for people mainly with moderate hair loss and by the sounds of it you have the latter. People who have heavey hair thinning and shedding it is useless fir them .Not worth the side effects, money and hassle. I work in health care so know about these issues. 

Best course is to strenghen exiating hair by making sure to take vitimans for hair growth. This is more a natural treatment. Also eat healthy. Do some research on foods for hair. 

Just let the sides of the hair grow as normal and as long as possible. 

Then do a joori with that. Nothing wrong in losing hair. Its a lottery of genetics. It can happen to anyone. Continue to wear the turban and grow hair. If you shave it off. Then its pointless wearing a turban. 

Ive seen sikhs with full male pattern hairloss. And they just tie up whatever hair they have remaining. It looks completley fine and acceptable. I actually think it looks good. It shows that your commited to the faith even with hairloss. 

Guest Ganja Singh

I too have developed male pattern hair loss. It started in my mid 20s but became noticeable when I turned 30. I started using finasteride and I got decent hair growth back but it affected my erections - they became softer. This caused issues with my wife so I stopped taking the medication. Within 6 mths my hair was back to where it was but at least I didn’t have ED. I’m now late 30s and have marked loss. I can still tie a joora but it’s the size of a large marble. Despite wearing pagh, it does feel humiliating- especially when so many shave their hair off. 

My chacha had such bad hairloss that by his 40s, he had a tiny pigtail about 2in long. He ended up shaving it off but still wears a pagh. 

I have hair loss too any it's entirely hormone related, which almost everyone's is.  If you ejaculate more then it is bound to get worse as that is when/how the enzymes convert testosterone in to DHT.  One can use a litany of DHT blocker pills that will slow it down, but using Rogain and its generics will only open up your hair follicles to more bloodflow.  If you increase the bloodlow to your follicles but your blood is still loaded with DHT then you're bound to have no improvement.  Take nettle root extracts and/or propidren to get at the root of the issue, the enzyme creating DHT from T.  You must be ethnically mixed because it's almost entirely a whitey thing lol.

Here is the thing though, caring about your hair is a thief stabbing at your soul.  Let it go!  Waheguru gave us hair and if it falls out you didn't purposely remove it.  If you act to keep it in desperation then it's moh.

guys you can make up methi seed and curry leaf infused coconut oil , it help strengthen roots and nourish the growth, reduce speed of greying too , We use it in our home . Also increase your leafy greens and biotin rich foods . If you are worried about DHT you can add a couple of drops of peppermint essential oil (on top of the anti DHt effect of methi ). it will increase blood flow to scalp whilst giving a cooling sensation .

first soak the methi seed overnight , in the morning drain and retain the water (can use as spray in growth agent) taking those seeds and some washed fresh curry leaves dry roast them in a pan for a while (5-10 minutes) then let them cool , grind into a powder then taking two tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil  and the powder cook gently in the pan for 10 minutes then switch off once totally cool filter and it's ready to use .

14 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

reduce speed of greying too

You can also use oil infused with ratanjot for this, however, it works best if started before the greying has began.