Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Big_Tera

8 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Has anyone read the full Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

Yes, through a process called "Sehaj paath" or "Akhand Paath". The former takes a while to complete as it is done in Sehaj (slowly, at ones own pace). The latter takes 48 hours to complete. Akhand means unbroken - so it is a continuous recitation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee. If you have never read Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee, I recommend listening to an akhand paath first or doing your own sehaj paath (it can take as long as you like, one month, six months, a year). Fun fact! You only have to read 4 angs of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee a day to complete the Sehaj paath in one year (with 60 days left so you can miss 60 days of reading and still be on track to finish in one year).

If they did where is the best english translation available to read?

If you have an iphone, "iSearchGurbani" is a brilliant app in which you can read all of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee with English translations and transliterations. You can also bookmark where you left off so you don't lose track of where you last left off. However, it's worth noting that the spiritual anand (bliss) that we experience when we read Gurbani in it's original and authentic Gurmukhi script is not comparable to reading English translations or transliterations so please try and learn Gurmukhi. But it's always a great starting point to read in whatever language you can.

how many pages are there?

There are 1430 angs (pages) in Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee. We refer to them as Angs (limbs) out of respect and it is considered disrespectful to say pages as we believe Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee is our eternal physical living Guru. We do not treat them like a mere "book". They are the embodiment of the past 10 Gurus and their spiritual light shines within Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee today.

I hope this helped :)

On 11/29/2018 at 9:07 AM, Big_Tera said:

Has anyone read the full Sri Guru Granth Sahib? If they did where is the best english translation available to read? 

Also how long does it take to read? ie how many pages are there?

lol, i was reading SIDH GHOST the other day, it took me 2 days to grasp the message of just half a page.... means 4 hours to understand half a page...

Remember, SGGS is not a book that if you read in 48 hours or 1 year and yeh you're done, yeh know everything...... its the combined knowledge of our 10 gurus ( 250 years )....... take the time to understand each and evrything..... contemplate on it.......... debate on it with yourself....question the GURU..... questioning abt gurbani is not bad IMO, i think it just increase your knowledge and broadens your perspective.... and also learn punjabi if yeh can... it will be utmost helpful... and dont care abt pages... its knowledge.... even if it takes you 50 years to grasp it.... ITS STILL WORTH IT.

16 hours ago, Amit12 said:

questioning abt gurbani is not bad IMO, i think it just increase your knowledge and broadens your perspective....

Ah! A critical thinker! :)