Inter-Racial Marriage Between Sikh and Christian

Guest Guest Amrit

Guest Guest Amrit

I have been in a relationship with a nonsikh man for the past 4 years, but it has been a secret relationship (meaning my parents don't know). For the past two years we have been talking about marriage, but in Indian or Sikh culture I have realized that this is deemed as unacceptable. But why is it unacceptable? I don't see any reason other than the fact that I wouldn't be able to pass on the culture or bring my children up as Sikhs, but he has agreed to let me do that because he understands that it is something very important to me. If he's okay with that- then why would it still be unacceptable?

How exactly do you plan on raising your kids as Sikh?  You have been living a lie for four years yourself. This may seem harsh, but perhaps you should work on yourself before trying to raise someone else as Sikh. 

Sat sri Akal phenji!

There’s nothing wrong with an inter caste or inter faith “marriage” but you CANNOT have an interfaith “Anand Karaj” 

There’s four ceremonies that a Sikh undergoes in his lifetime, ideally.

NaamKaran(naming),

Amrit sanchar(initiation into Khalsa), 

Anand Karaj (marriage)

antim sanskar (cremation after death)

if you can live without Anand Karaj, that’s your decision to make. 

Good luck!

wahegurji ka Khalsa, wahegurji ki fateh!

The purpose of marriage in sikhi is so that you as a couple practise sikhi together, the foundation of your marriage is supposed to be sikhi that's why we get married in the presence of guru granth sahib ji, that is the whole point of anand karaj. If you read the eng translation of the laavan then you will understand. You can't really fullfill your anand karaj if sikhi is not the foundation of your marriage, it's just an empty ritual then. 

But If your not that religious then it don't really matter who you marry, so your fine lol 

Good luck ... 

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

The purpose of marriage in sikhi is so that you as a couple practise sikhi together, the foundation of your marriage is supposed to be sikhi that's why we get married in the presence of guru granth sahib ji, that is the whole point of anand karaj. If you read the eng translation of the laavan then you will understand. You can't really fullfill your anand karaj if sikhi is not the foundation of your marriage, it's just an empty ritual then. 

But If your not that religious then it don't really matter who you marry, so your fine lol 

Good luck ... 

Sikhs are only allowed to marry other Sikhs, it is plain and simple. This stands for any ‘level’ of Sikh. Don’t be fooled by people who say if you’re not a ‘proper Sikh’ then you can do what you like.

If you end up marrying this Christian guy you will probably end up losing your cultural values and religion particularly as you’re a female. Now I know a lot of people are going to say that is being sexist. The truth is I don’t agree 100% with a Sikh male or female marrying a non Sikhs.

But I am even more strongly against  particularly when sikh females marry non Sikhs. The reason is simple.

Males are more dominant in their nature and women tend to follow the faith of their husband. Rarely do men end up following the faith of the wife. That is why Sikh community is protective of females as they are more vulnerable to being converted. We know the reality out there. Women may try and come across as strong and independent but the truth is they always end up following what the man does.

and hence it has nothing to do with being biased towards males. 

16 hours ago, Guest Guest Amrit said:

I have been in a relationship with a nonsikh man for the past 4 years, but it has been a secret relationship (meaning my parents don't know). For the past two years we have been talking about marriage, but in Indian or Sikh culture I have realized that this is deemed as unacceptable. But why is it unacceptable? I don't see any reason other than the fact that I wouldn't be able to pass on the culture or bring my children up as Sikhs, but he has agreed to let me do that because he understands that it is something very important to me. If he's okay with that- then why would it still be unacceptable?

The question is why did you end up dating a non sikh in the first place? I am sure you could have resisted this.

38 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

The question is why did you end up dating a non sikh in the first place? I am sure you could have resisted this.

Yeah, that's the key point.

People go around asking, I've been with a guy for five years, and he's so wonderful, I want to get married, what do I do.

That's the wrong question.

The right question is, what were you doing dating him in the first place?

2 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Sikhs are only allowed to marry other Sikhs, it is plain and simple. This stands for any ‘level’ of Sikh. Don’t be fooled by people who say if you’re not a ‘proper Sikh’ then you can do what you like.

If you end up marrying this Christian guy you will probably end up losing your cultural values and religion particularly as you’re a female. Now I know a lot of people are going to say that is being sexist. The truth is I don’t agree 100% with a Sikh male or female marrying a non Sikhs.

But I am even more strongly against  particularly when sikh females marry non Sikhs. The reason is simple.

Males are more dominant in their nature and women tend to follow the faith of their husband. Rarely do men end up following the faith of the wife. That is why Sikh community is protective of females as they are more vulnerable to being converted. We know the reality out there. Women may try and come across as strong and independent but the truth is they always end up following what the man does.

and hence it has nothing to do with being biased towards males. 

Things don't work like that in the real world. Many people are not religious and don't see dating someone of a different faith background as a problem. Some people are just not interested in people of same faith background, that's just who they are

For many people "Sikh" is a cultural tag, not religious.