Shall we start s debate on Christianity?

Redoptics

1 minute ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Bro I understand what you are saying. I don't think I waffle, but you can characterise it like that. Personally I believe I spend rather more time than I would like calling out the inherent contradictions in people's assertions or asking people to back up their usually dogmatic statements. 

I would much rather spend time exploring things but I find people are quick to make grandiose statements and then when asked to substantiate or corroborate them instead of simply providing references they get abusive, Will try and deflect etc. 

I can't accept that and feel morally compelled not to allow that type of bullying.. I try and stick to the point, simply asking for references.. 

I do study gurmukhi and gurbani and I struggle to find any of the dogmatism some people do. So for me, being provided examples to then research and study is fundamental.. 

Study for a few years and at least get fluent in Gurmukhi. Otherwise you're just making yourself look like another overly opinionated fool who can't be bothered to do his homework. 

8 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Study for a few years and at least get fluent in Gurmukhi. Otherwise you're just making yourself look like another overly opinionated fool who can't be bothered to do his homework. 

I have been studying for many years.. I believe in discussion and exegesis. I am opinionated but I don't have to share someone's opinions or interpretations. When I do I happy to agree but if I don't I must do what is right, which is to ask questions.. I have always thought sikhi is about sharing knowledge. So when someone tells me that I am ignorant for simply asking a question I tend to think they are being defensive because they don't have the answer to the question or able to corroborate their statements.. 

With all due respect I am not referring to you, and I very much welcome your comments here in this thread ??

Just now, Sukhvirk1976 said:

I have been studying for many years.. I believe in discussion and exegesis. I am opinionated but I don't have to share someone's opinions or interpretations. When I do I happy to agree but if I don't I must do what is right, which is to ask questions.. I have always thought sikhi is about sharing knowledge. So when someone tells me that I am ignorant for simply asking a question I tend to think they are being defensive because they don't have the answer to the question or able to corroborate their statements.. 

With all due respect I am not referring to you, and I very much welcome your comments here in this thread ??

Dude, If you've just mainly read in English, you're already misled. Most of that stuff is serious twisted by colonial political influences that skews Sikhi into some victorian era protestant, christian amalgamation called 'Sikhism'. I know because I grew up with that too. I had to earn to unlearn it all and relearn without it's shadow. 

Whenever I've read your stuff, it just sounds like confused western liberalism disguised as Sikh thought. Put the effort in to study your heritage and realise how historic influences and agendas have provided the motivation to skew things. Goray made fools out of most of our people for 100 years during colonialism, and they targeted your people specifically (peasants) as the conduit for their manipulation. You have to shake that off first. 

4 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Dude, If you've just mainly read in English, you're already misled. Most of that stuff is serious twisted by colonial political influences that skews Sikhi into some victorian era protestant, christian amalgamation called 'Sikhism'. I know because I grew up with that too. I had to earn to unlearn it all and relearn without it's shadow. 

Whenever I've read your stuff, it just sounds like confused western liberalism disguised as Sikh thought. Put the effort in to study your heritage and realise how historic influences and agendas have provided the motivation to skew things. Goray made fools out of most of our people for 100 years during colonialism, and they targeted your people specifically (peasants) as the conduit for their manipulation. You have to shake that off first. 

I fully agree and approach all study by deconstructing as much as possible. However I think many people have agendas and navigating them requires a great deal of care.. 

It is why I try to revert back to actual evidence or scripture. 

I agree with you though ??

Guest GuestSingh
On 2/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, dallysingh101 said:

This last line of the Gurmukhi alphabet (the one with the dots) seems to have introduced in Guru Gobind Singh's time to cover Farsi sounds. 

do u happen to know why ਲ in its original, native form as a retroflex sound (in some dialects before 18th century) eventually became the english 'l' we know and use today? is there actually any historical evidence of whitey/muslims attempting to distort any of the sounds in our panti akhar? and should we really be pronouncing ਲ as used in previous times in our speech today? tried with a few words and it sounds more authentic and natural imo..and it still requires a tough jaw that makes our maa boli special..but u really don't seem to hear it anymore although some words are spelt with it e.g. goli.

and does any of that also explain why weve lost/changed our original and native 'throaty' ਹ? cuz it is or sounds farsi/arabic in origin? we know language evolves and always will but if these sounds were even close to what guru sahibaan used e.g. in their bani, then we should be making an effort to revive and recreate them dont u think? gurbani would be more shudh uchaaran too....