A Guru Nanak Glossary - Christopher Shackle

Analysing tuks or lines is great, but we should also always contextualise it within the wider context of the whole shabad itself too I think, because we can get an incomplete picture otherwise?

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ   
Āsā mėhlā 5. 
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl: 

ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ  ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਈ  
Parabẖ ho▫e kirpāl ṯa ih man lā▫ī. 
When God shows His Mercy, then this mind is focused on Him. 

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਭੈ ਫਲ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ 
Saṯgur sev sabẖai fal pā▫ī. ||1|| 
Serving the True Guru, all rewards are obtained. ||1|| 

ਮਨ ਕਿਉ ਬੈਰਾਗੁ ਕਰਹਿਗਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੂਰਾ  
Man ki▫o bairāg karhigā saṯgur merā pūrā. 
O my mind, why are you so sad? My True Guru is Perfect. 

ਮਨਸਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਤਾ ਸਭ ਸੁਖ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਭਰਪੂਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ  
Mansā kā ḏāṯā sabẖ sukẖ niḏẖān amriṯ sar saḏ hī bẖarpūrā. ||1|| rahā▫o. 
He is the Giver of blessings, the treasure of all comforts; His Ambrosial Pool of Nectar is always overflowing. ||1||Pause|| 

ਚਰਣ ਕਮਲ ਰਿਦ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੇ  
Cẖaraṇ kamal riḏ anṯar ḏẖāre. 
One who enshrines His Lotus Feet within the heart, 

ਪ੍ਰਗਟੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲੇ ਰਾਮ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥੨॥ 
Pargatī joṯ mile rām pi▫āre. ||2|| 
meets the Beloved Lord; the Divine Light is revealed to him. ||2|| 

ਪੰਚ ਸਖੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਗਾਇਆ  
Pancẖ sakẖī mil mangal gā▫i▫ā. 
The five companions have met together to sing the songs of joy. 

ਅਨਹਦ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਦੁ ਵਜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥ 
Anhaḏ baṇī nāḏ vajā▫i▫ā. ||3|| 
The unstruck melody, the sound current of the Naad, vibrates and resounds. ||3|| 

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤੁਠਾ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ  
Gur Nānak ṯuṯẖā mili▫ā har rā▫e. 
O Nanak, when the Guru is totally pleased, one meets the Lord, the King. 

ਸੁਖਿ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਣੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥੪॥੧੭॥ 
Sukẖ raiṇ vihāṇī sahj subẖā▫e. ||4||17|| 
Then, the night of one's life passes in peace and natural ease. ||4||17|| 

20 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

ਮਨ ਕਿਉ ਬੈਰਾਗੁ ਕਰਹਿਗਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੂਰਾ  
Man ki▫o bairāg karhigā saṯgur merā pūrā. 
O my mind, why are you so sad? My True Guru is Perfect. 

You know, I'd be inclined (at first glance) to interpret this as:

Why would my complete Satguru make my munh (mind?) sad.

It seems like a rhetorical question?

I think the use of poora here is implying that Satguru is complete, in that they can give you all you need? That goes in line with the rest of the theme of the shabad too.

It seems very heavily psychologically based too, suggesting a transformation of psyche leading to contentment? 

41 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think the use of poora here is implying that Satguru is complete, in that they can give you all you need? That goes in line with the rest of the theme of the shabad too.

It seems very heavily psychologically based too, suggesting a transformation of psyche leading to contentment? 

This is the problem, over years words meaning change, so if it is possible we need to go back what the word meant , when the gurus said it, as that is true bani. 

4 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

This is the problem, over years words meaning change, so if it is possible we need to go back what the word meant , when the gurus said it, as that is true bani. 

And we are blessed with that, because SGGS ji is so big, and we have lots of other supplementary works like Bhai Gurdas Vaaran etc. That we can cross reference. Plus Guru Arjan Dev ji's words that bani contains sat, santokh and vichaar is pertinent too, because depending on how we interpret vichaar, us discussing it like we are now, seems to be one f the whole objectives of the game (of love). Sikhi and it's scriptures and literature, truly is a linguistic treasure trove - I'm understanding that more and more lately, especially with DG. 

I do NOT think we should approach it like an Abrahamic faith, that seeks to erase a mind and then completely fill it up with something else. Sikhi seems to work on a process of transformation which involves triggering innate intuition within us?

18 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

And we are blessed with that, because SGGS ji is so big, and we have lots of other supplementary works like Bhai Gurdas Vaaran etc. That we can cross reference. Plus Guru Arjan Dev ji's words that bani contains sat, santokh and vichaar is pertinent too, because depending on how we interpret vichaar, us discussing it like we are now, seems to be one f the whole objectives of the game (of love). Sikhi and it's scriptures and literature, truly is a linguistic treasure trove - I'm understanding that more and more lately, especially with DG. 

I do NOT think we should approach it like an Abrahamic faith, that seeks to erase a mind and then completely fill it up with something else. Sikhi seems to work on a process of transformation which involves triggering innate intuition within us?

Of course as we seekers of truth, Guru Granth Sahib Ji,  is the truth, we need to learn and understand as sangat, that's the whole point. I can think one thing, I ask a question and I find out I'm wrong and you point me the direction.  As you are me and I am you .

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।

Yes I agree with it being a rhetorical question and that being complete means that they can do so much for us. But remember ਕਿਉ means how ਕਿਵੇਂ and not just why. Gurmukhi is different to Punjabi so we need to take that into account.

I think it translates to : O my mind how could you (possibly*) be sad, my Guru ji is perfect (i.e. he can't make mistakes, he is showing me the complete truth) 

Which leads on to the next Pangti about Guru Sahib's Vadiaye.

* I used possibly here as there is no reason to be sad and since ਕਿਉ can be used for ਕਿਵੇਂ Maharaj is making us question our feelings and how we could possibly be sad.

5 hours ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Yes I agree with it being a rhetorical question and that being complete means that they can do so much for us. But remember ਕਿਉ means how ਕਿਵੇਂ and not just why. Gurmukhi is different to Punjabi so we need to take that into account.

I think it translates to : O my mind how could you (possibly*) be sad, my Guru ji is perfect (i.e. he can't make mistakes, he is showing me the complete truth) 

Which leads on to the next Pangti about Guru Sahib's Vadiaye.

* I used possibly here as there is no reason to be sad and since ਕਿਉ can be used for ਕਿਵੇਂ Maharaj is making us question our feelings and how we could possibly be sad.

Very good,  but as I said its perception of the reader, we need our sangat to tell us the truth

14 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Very good,  but as I said its perception of the reader, we need our sangat to tell us the truth

So kion manda akkiiya jitjame rajan is always incorrectly translated to english:

so why call her bad , when she gives birth to kings?

When we know old punjabi kion meant how not like modern punjabi why

So how can you call her evil, who gives birth to kings ?

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

So kion manda akkiiya jitjame rajan is always incorrectly translated to english:

Some more examples.

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

We get this from an online dictionary:

SGGS Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
Ki-u. 1. ਕਿਵੇਂ, ਕਿਸ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ। 2. ਕਿਸ ਲਈ। 3. ਬੇਸ਼ਕ (ਭਾਵ)। 1. how. 2. why. 3. may. 1. ਉਦਾਹਰਨ: ਕਿਵ ਕਰਿ ਆਖਾ ਕਿਵ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਕਿਉ ਵਰਨੀ ਕਿਵ ਜਾਣਾ ॥ Japujee, Guru ʼnanak Dev, 21:15 (P: 5). ਉਦਾਹਰਨ: ਜਿਸਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਏ ਸੋਈ ਝੂਝੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਕਿਉ ਰਹੀਐ ॥ (ਕਿਵੇਂ, ਕੀ ਲਾਭ ਹੈ ਜੀਵਨ ਦਾ). Raga Gaurhee, Kabir, 51, 3:1 (P: 334). 2. ਉਦਾਹਰਨ: ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਇ ॥ Raga Aaasaa 1, Sodar, 3, 1:1 (P: 9). 3. ਉਦਾਹਰਨ: ਪਾਛੈ ਤੇ ਜਮੁ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਪਠਾਵਹੁ ॥ Raga Gaurhee, Kabir, 32, 3:2 (P: 329).

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary
[P. pro.] Why 
SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਕ੍ਰਿ. ਵਿ- ਕੈਸੇ. ਕਿਸ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ. "ਕਿਉ ਵਰਨੀ ਕਿਵ ਜਾਣਾ?" (ਜਪੁ) "ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੀਐ". (ਵਾਰ ਰਾਮ ੧. ਮਃ ੩) "ਨਿਕਸਿਓ ਕਿਉਕੈ ਜਾਇ?" (ਸ. ਕਬੀਰ)। (2) ਕਿਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ. "ਸਮਝਤ ਨਹਿ ਕਿਉ ਗਵਾਰ?" (ਜੈਜਾ ਮਃ ੯).

So it can mean 'why' and 'how'? 

Here we have ਕਿਵ and ਕਿਉ in Japji Sahib. That should help clarify.

ਕਿਵ ਕਰਿ ਆਖਾ ਕਿਵ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਕਿਉ ਵਰਨੀ ਕਿਵ ਜਾਣਾ