Punjabi - The intellectual decline of the gymnosophists

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh

So......I conducted a little experiment. I took these 4 languages:

• Punjabi
  • Bengali
  • Gujarati
  • Hindi

and I did a Google News search for each of them. 

Here's the results:

• Bengali = The results pretty much reflected the fact that it was a 'news' search and the results were a healthy mix of news and high-brow experimental type cinema culture
  • Hindi = You got exactly what it says on the tin with this one. The 'news' search brought up general news.
  • Gujarati = Mostly a healthy mix of business news, exam news and cuisine.
  • Punjabi = Singing and dancing.  Nothing but singing and dancing. Occasional food item but the rest of it almost entirely singing and dancing. You even try and click on some random page, like page 3 or page 4 hoping and praying you'll find something other than singing and dancing.....But no. Even on page 3, 4 and 17 etc there is nothing but singing and dancing.

Is this really what we've been reduced to now ?  ?

oh so you dropped that "panjabis are persians" idea?

did you search the English google or the Panjabi (gurmukhi script) version?

there are panjabi news newspapers (in gurmukhi) and youtube channels,

i think that east panjabis are more industrious than intellectual, as a group. it is after all an agrarian region.

Were you logged into Google? Did you clear your cache and cookies before searching? I think Google's search results can significantly change depending on your online activity that it has been tracking.

Maybe try doing the above or using a different search engine such as duckduckgo. This will improve the reliability of your results! Apologies for being a nerd but I thought I get in there first before someone else does :) 

10 minutes ago, ssinghuk said:

Were you logged into Google? Did you clear your cache and cookies before searching? I think Google's search results can significantly change depending on your online activity that it has been tracking.

Maybe try doing the above or using a different search engine such as duckduckgo. This will improve the reliability of your results! Apologies for being a nerd but I thought I get in there first before someone else does :) 

Wherever I logged on......whatever my online activity......whether I changed my cache or not - would only come into play if I searched 'Punjabi' and nothing else. The fact is I searched 'Punjabi' 'Gujarati' 'Hindi' and 'Bengali' on the same computer, one after the other. I did not search 'Punjabi' on a computer in Dudley on Tuesday catch a coach to Sheffield and search 'Gujarati' on a computer up there on Wednesday, hitched a lift to Cardiff and searched 'Bengali' on a computer down there on a Friday and then we chilled on Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway....on a more serious note....:)  I pretty much knew as soon as I started that thread that the actual narrative of the thread would go over the heads of most people here. I used the word gymnosophists in the thread ttitle because we Punjabis were, at one point, the most intellectual people on earth. Alexander the Great conquered half the world, reached Punjab and neither him nor his men wanted to carry on. After verbal talks with the philosophical Punjabis they began to question everything - life, it's meaning, war, it's meaning, family, love, the universe. The intellectual philosophical nature of the Punjabis defeated the worlds greatest army with words. Thus, I ask again.....songs and dances....is this really what we're reduced to now ?

On 12/4/2019 at 5:34 AM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:

Punjabi = Singing and dancing.  Nothing but singing and dancing. Occasional food item but the rest of it almost entirely singing and dancing.

I think the problem is, in your little "experiment", you didn't do quite what you thought you were doing. To do what you I think you wanted to do, you should have gone to the left sidebar, clicked "Languages" and selected Punjabi.

Unfortunately, you can't do that, because Google doesn't offer that for Google News (neither for Bengali or Gujurati). Only for Hindi.

Languages which have more speakers than Gurmukhi Punjabi, by the way.

What you did, I think, is search for the word "Punjabi". Not the same thing.

On the other hand, if you had gone to google.com and changed your search language to Punjabi, and then entered ਖਬਰਾਂ ("news"), then you would have gotten exactly that. I.e., YouTube channels of various Punjabi news outlets, and then txt links to various Punjabi news sites (like BBC).

I don't know quite what your point was, but if it was that Punjabis should follow the news, I agree. 

6 hours ago, BhForce said:

I think the problem is, in your little "experiment", you didn't do quite what you thought you were doing. To do what you I think you wanted to do, you should have gone to the left sidebar, clicked "Languages" and selected Punjabi.

Unfortunately, you can't do that, because Google doesn't offer that for Google News (neither for Bengali or Gujurati). Only for Hindi.

Languages which have more speakers than Gurmukhi Punjabi, by the way.

What you did, I think, is search for the word "Punjabi". Not the same thing.

On the other hand, if you had gone to google.com and changed your search language to Punjabi, and then entered ਖਬਰਾਂ ("news"), then you would have gotten exactly that. I.e., YouTube channels of various Punjabi news outlets, and then txt links to various Punjabi news sites (like BBC).

I don't know quite what your point was, but if it was that Punjabis should follow the news, I agree. 

Oh my good lord ? Just how silly are you people here ?

Why on earth would you think any of this  was anything to do with 'languages' ? I mean not just you, even the 2 posters before you couldn't understand the basic premise. That's really quite frightening.?

The experiment was about wider perceptions of individual linguistic/racial/national groups in that the results that the searches threw up were not results that were written by 'Punjabis', 'Gujaratis' 'Hindis' and 'Bengalis' themselves but results on the world wide web that demonstrate what the wider perception of each of those groups is. For example, when searching for 'Bengali' on a Google News search, the results tend to point to articles written from everywhere from Delhi to Djibouti about experimental art-house cinema, i.e. it revealed that high-brow literature and experimental celluloid was the thing that often popped into people's head when they thought of the word 'Bengali'. The experiment revealed something similar about 'Gujarati', in that the results from all over the world tended to point to articles from everywhere from Jersey City to Jalalabad about medical exam results and share prices etc, i.e. it revealed that business and education were the things that popped into the heads of the wider world when they thought 'Gujarati', Our results, revealed that the wider world, when they think 'Punjabi', think of people that are nothing more than singers and dancers. Of course there are some regional variations in that results from Canada showed a healthy mix of sports and the American results demonstrated that Trucking was deeply ingrained in the public psyche when they think 'punjabi' but, by and large, the wider world thinks 'singing and dancing', i.e. a people that exist as nothing more than entertainers whose purpose it is to entertain the 'others' i.e. people with intellectual pursuits, such as business, exams and art-house cinema and literature. 

Please refer back to my previous message about how we, as the gymnosophists that blew Alexander the Great's mind with our intellect, were able to subdue the greatest army the world had ever seen with nothing but our intellectual verbal reasoning. But that was then and this is now. So, i ask again: 'Singing and dancing' - is this really what we've been reduced to now ?

On 12/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:

So, i ask again: 'Singing and dancing' - is this really what we've been reduced to now ?

On 12/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:

Why on earth would you think any of this  was anything to do with 'languages' ? I mean not just you, even the 2 posters before you couldn't understand the basic premise. That's really quite frightening.?

You know, Jagsaw, underneath the tough exterior of bluster and boastfulness, there does seem to be a smidgen of concern in you for our Panth.

But I have to say you'd get much farther without being so dismissive and and disdainful of every other member of the Panth except you.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:34 PM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:
  • Punjabi = Singing and dancing.  Nothing but singing and dancing. Occasional food item but the rest of it almost entirely singing and dancing. You even try and click on some random page, like page 3 or page 4 hoping and praying you'll find something other than singing and dancing.....But no. Even on page 3, 4 and 17 etc there is nothing but singing and dancing.

Is this really what we've been reduced to now ?  ?

There has been a concerted, long term effort to dumb the panth down and promote barn-dance jamboree culture over all else. This helps keep 'wild Panjabi Sikhs' docile and easier to control.

Sadly too many of our own are complicit in this, and actively help promote it themselves. 

But people are waking up to this. 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:58 AM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:

The experiment was about wider perceptions of individual linguistic/racial/national groups in that the results that the searches threw up were not results that were written by 'Punjabis', 'Gujaratis' 'Hindis' and 'Bengalis' themselves but results on the world wide web that demonstrate what the wider perception of each of those groups is. For example, when searching for 'Bengali' on a Google News search, the results tend to point to articles written from everywhere from Delhi to Djibouti about experimental art-house cinema, i.e. it revealed that high-brow literature and experimental celluloid was the thing that often popped into people's head when they thought of the word 'Bengali'. The experiment revealed something similar about 'Gujarati', in that the results from all over the world tended to point to articles from everywhere from Jersey City to Jalalabad about medical exam results and share prices etc, i.e. it revealed that business and education were the things that popped into the heads of the wider world when they thought 'Gujarati', Our results, revealed that the wider world, when they think 'Punjabi', think of people that are nothing more than singers and dancers. Of course there are some regional variations in that results from Canada showed a healthy mix of sports and the American results demonstrated that Trucking was deeply ingrained in the public psyche when they think 'punjabi' but, by and large, the wider world thinks 'singing and dancing', i.e. a people that exist as nothing more than entertainers whose purpose it is to entertain the 'others' i.e. people with intellectual pursuits, such as business, exams and art-house cinema and literature. 

Please refer back to my previous message about how we, as the gymnosophists that blew Alexander the Great's mind with our intellect, were able to subdue the greatest army the world had ever seen with nothing but our intellectual verbal reasoning. But that was then and this is now. So, i ask again: 'Singing and dancing' - is this really what we've been reduced to now ?

Yes.

Being intellektual means you are boring.

Keneda particularly promotes this. They love the Larping that goes along with the rural life. 

20 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

There has been a concerted, long term effort to dumb the panth down and promote barn-dance jamboree culture over all else. This helps keep 'wild Panjabi Sikhs' docile and easier to control.

Sadly too many of our own are complicit in this, and actively help promote it themselves. 

But people are waking up to this. 

EXACTLY ! 

whatever happened to learning about ancient punjabi civilization , learning tanti saz , engineering , medicine , other forms of sciences or atleast researching into our own religion in a healthy way. 

We don't even know how to sing raags in sggs properly.