Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Mansha Singh

Recommended Posts

What was the name of the Singh who during the time of massa rangar used to swim across the sarovar to light a divaa in Harmandir sahib. I think massa rangars men eventually caught him ...

Iv forgotten it 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Swami Singh?

no its not that i just checked.   Theres a painting of him swimming in the sarvovar as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found it!    his name was Bhai Mansha Singh       there is absolutely no information about him whatsoever, not even a single article, unless he was known by another name too ?

when massa ranghar invaded Harmandir Sahib Bhai Mansha Singh used to secretly swim across the sarovar to light a jot in Harmandir Sahib, he did this on a daily bases and was eventually caught by the massa ranghars men and killed  he became shaheed in 1743. 

 

spaceout.gif

3273968823_2c3b35aa1c_o.jpg

DFKScV4XcAAbXDH?format=jpg&name=900x900

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, puzzled said:

found it!    his name was Bhai Mansha Singh       there is absolutely no information about him whatsoever, not even a single article, unless he was known by another name too ?

when massa ranghar invaded Harmandir Sahib Bhai Mansha Singh used to secretly swim across the sarovar to light a jot in Harmandir Sahib, he did this on a daily bases and was eventually caught by the massa ranghars men and killed  he became shaheed in 1743. 

 

spaceout.gif

3273968823_2c3b35aa1c_o.jpg

DFKScV4XcAAbXDH?format=jpg&name=900x900

It should be noted that Harmandir Sahib didn't have the gold covering that it is now famous for, at the time. Maharajah Ranjit Singh had that put on at a much later date (and in obviously better circumstances for Sikhs in Amritsar!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

It should be noted that Harmandir Sahib didn't have the gold covering that it is now famous for, at the time. Maharajah Ranjit Singh had that put on at a much later date (and in obviously better circumstances for Sikhs in Amritsar!). 

yh painting isn't accurate, I'd imagine harmandir sahib was a simply brick structure back then. In those dark times sikhs had no time  to create a beautiful building, with local muslims, mughals and afghans hunting sikhs down from all direction. plus around this time many sikhs had gone and started living in forest areas, near rivers and rajasthan. 

there was another painting on mansha singh swimming towards harmandir sahib, cant find it online though. cant find absolutely anything about him online.  

i had been looking for his name since the day i posted this, i was gnna give up yesterday and then i asked guru gobind singh ji what his name was and around 3 mins later i came across this painting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yh painting isn't accurate,

What proper does my head in is paintings of old Singhs that have the 'modren' khanda symbol on their dastaars and jhanday, I mean, a little historical research wouldn't kill an artist.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

What proper does my head in is paintings of old Singhs that have the 'modren' khanda symbol on their dastaars and jhanday, I mean, a little historical research wouldn't kill an artist.......

Yh that annoyed me when I saw it at the fort at anandpur sahib. Why would a 17th century fort have a khanda on it lol.

I think older generation wouldn't be happy with a lot of puratan stuff. Sikh leaders in the last century almost became bhramin phobic and any practise or tradition which remotely reminded them of hinduism they wiped it out.  Its one of the reasons why dasam bani got shoved to the side. 

Just like how the post that I posted about mansha singh, about him lighting jot at harmandir sahib and then sikhs questioning it because it's a bhaman practise. 

The war banners of the khalsa army during majaraja ranjit singhs time used to have kali mata and other war goddesses on it, imagine bringing that back today! It would cause a riot lmao. 

Couple of years back old wall paintings at tarn taran darbar sahib of hindu mythology were whitewashed and painted over with sikh ithiaasic scenes. 

My told me that in the local gurdwara when she was a kid they used to have a shankh shell in the gurdwara. 

These images were symbols of war, nothing more. 

Not that your average sikh cared, but leaders didnt want sikhi to be seen as a sect of hindu dharam  which is understandable especially with all the events in the first half of the last century. 

Theres even a sikh flag from maharaja ranjit singhs time with hanuman on it.

But younger people are less "insecure" about these things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, puzzled said:

Yh that annoyed me when I saw it at the fort at anandpur sahib. Why would a 17th century fort have a khanda on it lol.

I think older generation wouldn't be happy with a lot of puratan stuff. Sikh leaders in the last century almost became bhramin phobic and any practise or tradition which remotely reminded them of hinduism they wiped it out.  Its one of the reasons why dasam bani got shoved to the side. 

Just like how the post that I posted about mansha singh, about him lighting jot at harmandir sahib and then sikhs questioning it because it's a bhaman practise. 

The war banners of the khalsa army during majaraja ranjit singhs time used to have kali mata and other war goddesses on it, imagine bringing that back today! It would cause a riot lmao. 

Couple of years back old wall paintings at tarn taran darbar sahib of hindu mythology were whitewashed and painted over with sikh ithiaasic scenes. 

My told me that in the local gurdwara when she was a kid they used to have a shankh shell in the gurdwara. 

These images were symbols of war, nothing more. 

Not that your average sikh cared, but leaders didnt want sikhi to be seen as a sect of hindu dharam  which is understandable especially with all the events in the first half of the last century. 

Theres even a sikh flag from maharaja ranjit singhs time with hanuman on it.

But younger people are less "insecure" about these things.  

at that time ALL gurdwaraey used jot for lighting   , some punjabis are so dense ... It is more important to have nagara than shank anyhow . Brahmins did their utmost to reinstate their prejudical treatment of folks when they became willing MAHANTS under British raj   and also brought murtian of devtey (the ones that were brought into harmandir Sahib ended up in durgiana mandir I heard .) That is why Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh did morcha against the people running harmandir sahib preventing 'low caste ' sikhs from getting degh or giving degh for blessing. then you had Saka Nankana sahib and saka Guru ka Bagh .  They've been trying since time of Guru Nanak Dev ji to subvert our panth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

at that time ALL gurdwaraey used jot for lighting   , some punjabis are so dense ... It is more important to have nagara than shank anyhow . Brahmins did their utmost to reinstate their prejudical treatment of folks when they became willing MAHANTS under British raj   and also brought murtian of devtey (the ones that were brought into harmandir Sahib ended up in durgiana mandir I heard .) That is why Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh did morcha against the people running harmandir sahib preventing 'low caste ' sikhs from getting degh or giving degh for blessing. then you had Saka Nankana sahib and saka Guru ka Bagh .  They've been trying since time of Guru Nanak Dev ji to subvert our panth.

yh thats what i mean, the reform movements happened because of everything that was happening back then. but in the process some leaders kinda became anti bhaman and removed anything which reminded them of bhamans like lighting  jot.

arya samaj, rss, used hindu dharam as a political thing at that time, muslims in the cities started clashing with hindus, british missionaries started converting hindus etc   so things like arya samaj and rss used their dharam as a political tool to tackle what they saw as a threat to their dharam,  this is when they started calling Guru Gobind Singh ji a desh bhakt    i think they thought by making sikhi a sect of hindu it will give hindu demography a boost in punjab.    on top of that the massands.  so reform movements like singh sabha did what they had to do. but in the process they put aside dasam bani and did other things.  

not much changed in pinds tho, people light jot in the gurdware to this day and some have things like shankh as well as nagara. people still use things like pang and afeem for desi treatment in pinds while urban sikhs in those days started turning their noses up to these things.   it was how urban lot practiced sikhi that was reformed the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, puzzled said:

yh thats what i mean, the reform movements happened because of everything that was happening back then. but in the process some leaders kinda became anti bhaman and removed anything which reminded them of bhamans like lighting  jot.

arya samaj, rss, used hindu dharam as a political thing at that time, muslims in the cities started clashing with hindus, british missionaries started converting hindus etc   so things like arya samaj and rss used their dharam as a political tool to tackle what they saw as a threat to their dharam,  this is when they started calling Guru Gobind Singh ji a desh bhakt    i think they thought by making sikhi a sect of hindu it will give hindu demography a boost in punjab.    on top of that the massands.  so reform movements like singh sabha did what they had to do. but in the process they put aside dasam bani and did other things.  

not much changed in pinds tho, people light jot in the gurdware to this day and some have things like shankh as well as nagara. people still use things like pang and afeem for desi treatment in pinds while urban sikhs in those days started turning their noses up to these things.   it was how urban lot practiced sikhi that was reformed the most. 

delhi sikhs are idiots they are now asking sirsa to demand Chandni Chowk to shaheedi Chowk , I said to them the only reason people remember Chandi Chowk is through the Mahan Shahadat of gursikhs and Guru Sahib , they are too dense to realise that removing the name is also removing the marker of the history .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

delhi sikhs are idiots they are now asking sirsa to demand Chandni Chowk to shaheedi Chowk , I said to them the only reason people remember Chandi Chowk is through the Mahan Shahadat of gursikhs and Guru Sahib , they are too dense to realise that removing the name is also removing the marker of the history .

They are a strange bunch. This sikh lady from chandigarh was surprised that I dont drink    she said how can you be a sardar and not drink alcohol.  I really was speechless. She then asked me why I dont tie my dhari up.    Sikhs/indians from the cities are weirdos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Swami Singh?

I see what u did there. 

Swam-i singh

I had heard that there was also a time when sikhs would go take ishnaan at harmandar sahib to thumb their noses at the guards. But this woukd be the time when the sarovar was not filled up in the seige. 

Also that there was a grouo of singhs. And they woukd go each night to light the jot. And would get captures each time...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, puzzled said:

yh thats what i mean, the reform movements happened because of everything that was happening back then. but in the process some leaders kinda became anti bhaman and removed anything which reminded them of bhamans like lighting  jot.

arya samaj, rss, used hindu dharam as a political thing at that time, muslims in the cities started clashing with hindus, british missionaries started converting hindus etc   so things like arya samaj and rss used their dharam as a political tool to tackle what they saw as a threat to their dharam,  this is when they started calling Guru Gobind Singh ji a desh bhakt    i think they thought by making sikhi a sect of hindu it will give hindu demography a boost in punjab.    on top of that the massands.  so reform movements like singh sabha did what they had to do. but in the process they put aside dasam bani and did other things.  

not much changed in pinds tho, people light jot in the gurdware to this day and some have things like shankh as well as nagara. people still use things like pang and afeem for desi treatment in pinds while urban sikhs in those days started turning their noses up to these things.   it was how urban lot practiced sikhi that was reformed the most. 

There is still jot in Gurdwara Ber Sahib and I think in most gurdwarey I've been , My Nani used to do jot as well in House Gurdwara  never seen people saying this is hindu mat . Even Nani ji would keep jaal da kumbh next to akhand path , later I read that this is old school mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I see what u did there. 

Swam-i singh

I had heard that there was also a time when sikhs would go take ishnaan at harmandar sahib to thumb their noses at the guards. But this woukd be the time when the sarovar was not filled up in the seige. 

Also that there was a grouo of singhs. And they woukd go each night to light the jot. And would get captures each time...

I heard some Singhs used to openly charge towards the sarovar to get isnaan despite it being heavily guarded and obtain shaheedi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • too many organisation abound and zero coordination as shown in that video I posted about sikh NGOs meeting with authorities in Ludhiana , need was for langar for 100,000 but food for 500,000 was being made on daily basis in this time of hardship, then it was being givem to the same group of people in the same 4 locations by sikhs going one group after another. As the Singh says NO ONE is dying of hunger in the towns as those same labourers are being given food rations and money by either their bosses or the goverment ON TOP of them grabbing up langar and then 'feeding it to our cows because it makes our kids sick' . wheat crops have failed this year due to combination of hailstorms and curfew only 30 % yield , we are wheat eaters  and what is the state government's response ? Not save stored grain for state population but to send 20 trainloads out of Punjab to other states who also have their own crops to eat. Remember this is the same Ahole who OK'd the deliberate flooding of punjab's fields to disrupt farming yields for 5 Years . Punjabis are literally scared to say/do anything that the hindus may object to even if they are totally merciless in diverting all tax revenues to centre , reduce investment in healthcare to such an extent that there is no way hygiene could be maintained . fake medicines have flooded Punjab's markets killing those in need. Sikhs HAVE TO COORDINATE efforts, resources outside of SGPC/RSS/CONGRESS/Akali  control Gurdwarey have to become property of Guru Panth ONLY and serve the people's needs : educational, medical, spiritual, Fitness and Defence. The days of Langar roadshows have to stop , these politicians will have us expend our last penny and cook our last grain to feed others so that we are brought to our knees. Time to put on our airmasks and help all other sikhs put on theirs . Guru ji did not do langar roadshows he made dharamshaley for those who came to His door; he helped and he didn't help those who could help themselves but expected people to do kirit first and if that failed then rely on langar. Our own people are suffering in the villages behind closed doors , don't see many NGOs worrying about them ... It is a truth that the most money collected for charity is by the sikhs in Uk, Canada  and India   we are talking millions of pounds/dollars and then we also donate time, effort food  on top . If we were  coordinated properly there would be proper use of Golak and no replication of effort and wastage . Quite easily we could build the hospital wards, vet clinics, schools colleges  with  which we could  serve our people and others to free education, healthcare , we could educate the nurses, doctors, scientists, engineers we need , we could give/lend money to farmers to switch to organic farming again and permaculture methods . Water preservation/harvesting could be a major target for sikhs as well since we are being squeezed from all sides for our natural river water. Problem is the wrong people are being listened to .
    • yes dasvandh was only meant to protect the gareeb sikhs from being taken advantage of, doing parchaar of gurbani/sursikhi and running pangat (but history shows that sikhs used to donate seperately for degh and pangat)
    • five years training , five year volunteering then 12 years practice . daily dose of 30 c , that was back while I was training
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use