Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Mmm I've read studies like that for a while, as someone who served bar for many years, I can tell you it's a load of <banned word filter activated> written by alcoholic doctors. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Mmm I've read studies like that for a while, as someone who served bar for many years, I can tell you it's a load of <banned word filter activated> written by alcoholic doctors. 

 

But ayurveda is a respected science.

many Gursikhs r ayurveda doctors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ayurshilpi.com/post/ayurvedic-view-on-alcohol

Conclusion

Alcoholic drinks have to be consumed with respect to the body constitution, digestive capacity, and health condition, along with a balanced diet. If consumed wisely, it excels over any medicine in terms of health preservation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

But ayurveda is a respected science.

many Gursikhs r ayurveda doctors.

Whelp it's an excuse to normalize kurehit, and the Gurus knew exactly the nature of that foul poison so I guess ayurveda needs updating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

https://www.ayurshilpi.com/post/ayurvedic-view-on-alcohol

Conclusion

Alcoholic drinks have to be consumed with respect to the body constitution, digestive capacity, and health condition, along with a balanced diet. If consumed wisely, it excels over any medicine in terms of health preservation.

 

A russian doctor who was teaching us biology said yes theres a lot of studeies saying alcohol in moderation is healthy. But he says if u can ever avoid starting alochol its best.

I think the moderation key is for alcoholics. For example, imagine the study is done in France. Where lets say everyone drinks alcohol. They find out ppl who drink only 1 glass ornless are the healthiest. So they start saying alcohol in moderarion is very good.

But what if, its the least amount of alcohol thats good. So i think the studies are trying to day drink in moderation. Not to start drinking. 

But this is all assumption. I would need to look at the study methods. 

Plus i have only heard red wine is good. And that because it uses red grapes and so has antioxodanta. Which u can get from the grapes itself. Otherwise alochol is a posion our liver has to detoxify. And thats why most ppl get hangovers from excreting the waste, which wastes water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William Franklin 1798-1803

Seiks are remarkably fond of the flesh of the jungle Hog, which they kill in chance, this food is allowable by their law. They likewise eat of mutton and fish, but these being deemed unlawful, the Bramins will not partake, leaving those who chuse to transgress their institutes to answer for themselves. In the city or in the field the Seiks never smoke tobacco; they are not however averse to drinking spirituous liquors, in which they sometimes indulge to an immoderate excess; 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it is appropriate in today's day and age. Alcoholism is a huge problem in many communities. Here in the UK is is a massive problem and in India it is a huge problem as well. Alcohol is very addictive, even if someone might start drinking with "moderation" it will eventually get out of hand. Its like a drug. I think i read somewhere how in he UK one of the biggest causes of road accidents is actually alcohol. Even alcoholics started of drinking with moderation and then it just spirals out of control. 

I'm pretty sure government makes a lot of £££ out of this business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

Maybe they did. Gurbani says not even to touch the bottle. If you wanna drink bro go ahead. It's as wise as smoking crack. Have at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shastarSingh said:

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

Sikhs aren’t meant to drink alcohol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sat1 said:

Sikhs aren’t meant to drink alcohol. 

I am not saying that Sikhs shud start drinking alcohol.

All I am saying is that alcohol is not a bajjar kurehit and can be used as a medicine as it has strong medicinal qualities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, shastarSingh said:

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

why are you trusting the writings of an English 'observer'  , did not Ernest Trump do beadbhi of gurbani by smoking cigars whilst reading  Guru ji? Did not the EIC destroy historical texts, learning materials , murdered Akalis  and state that sikhi would be finished by them within Punjab . We all know that Chevvin Patshah gave hukamnama of staying away from Bhang, Macchi etc i.e. all intoxicants ... is his rehit not applicable at that point in time on top of restrictions given by Dasmesh Pita ji?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

A russian doctor who was teaching us biology said yes theres a lot of studeies saying alcohol in moderation is healthy. But he says if u can ever avoid starting alochol its best.

I think the moderation key is for alcoholics. For example, imagine the study is done in France. Where lets say everyone drinks alcohol. They find out ppl who drink only 1 glass ornless are the healthiest. So they start saying alcohol in moderarion is very good.

But what if, its the least amount of alcohol thats good. So i think the studies are trying to day drink in moderation. Not to start drinking. 

But this is all assumption. I would need to look at the study methods. 

Plus i have only heard red wine is good. And that because it uses red grapes and so has antioxodanta. Which u can get from the grapes itself. Otherwise alochol is a posion our liver has to detoxify. And thats why most ppl get hangovers from excreting the waste, which wastes water.

doesn't matter if you drink a little or a lot it is a poison and crosses the blood brain barrier and kills and damages brain cells .
Guru Amar Das ji speaks badly of those who drink , we know also that the child of a women who drinks also is poisoned and can suffer from Fetal Alcohol syndrome which can result in mental retardation, learning difficulties , physical changes in the child . No amount of alcohol is safe .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people are there that can actually control their alcohol intake? Very very few. 

I remember going to kabbadi matches with my dad as a kid in west london and the audience would be prancing around like monkeys after a few drinks. I remember this one guy laying flat on the ground and then he started rolling across the park like a log. 

This stuff should be kept away as much as possible. 

If you think about it a lot us have seen some stuff that kids shouldn't even see because of alcohol!  Yet we became to desentitised to it!

When I was in primary school my white friend came around our house and my dad started drinking alcohol in front of us and started getting tipsy! The boy even asked me why my dad is drinking. 

This is some really fcked up stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use