Night Culture

Premi5

Evening and nights. 

Yes, I understand that most people who work, work during the daytime. 

But the evening/night culture during which people go out to restaurants, nightclubs etc, why is it so popular and prevalent (well, in non pandemic times at least) ?

Is it mainly related to alcohol consumption? Related to alcohol consumption and intoxication, hence then people go to bed ?

Am I right to think that there was not such a thing in Punjab a few generations ago ? My understanding is people in the pind still/were going to bed quite early before 9pm?

Even on weekends, and public holidays, most social events, and even media events like awards ceremonies will be in the evening

Before everyone had electricity I would guess society went by natural light to regulate their day much more

Is it fair to say that with/outwith influence of alcohol and drugs, that evening and night being linked to darkness, intrinsically attracts misdemenours and crime ? Even in (artificial light)

I know in some Islamic countries, there is instead a shisha and/or coffee culture

Why does society not start and finish the day earlier - e.g. in summer, schools and workplaces could easily start at 6 or 7am rather than at 8-9am

I know I have not articulated very well, but sangat's views appreciated. 

Also, I am aware that Amrit Vela falls basically during darkness majority of the time

There were pool halls and "pubs" in Punjab 25 years ago albeit very sparse. It was generally looked down upon, and even those who partook in these activities wouldn't tell their families where they were going. I don't know what the current situation is over there regarding these places. Maybe they've come out into the open so to speak? 

Night culture was never a part of rural Punjabi life, most people in the old days used to wake up like 4am, many still do. 

Things are changing with the youth though, my cousin goes "clubbing" in Ludhiana and Chandigarh and returns home middle of the night. Not sure what the clubbing scene is like in Punjab, never asked him ... 

People use such venues to pass the time. Even today in India, children don't tell parents where they been due to embarrassment. But speaking from anecdote none of my cousins ever been pubs in Punjab, due to the busy schedule of farming life from dawn til dusk. However, times are changing and "If Western countries do it, we should do it too" attitude kicks in. 

Western Countries, it is encouraged by parents for their kids to get out there n explore. 

1 hour ago, Singh1989 said:

However, times are changing and "If Western countries do it, we should do it too" attitude kicks in. 

Western Countries, it is encouraged by parents for their kids to get out there n explore. 

I think the first point is true of some things, but very few Punjabis I know are happy for their kids to be out at night

Your second point, I think a lot of Western parents are wary of their kids to go out at night; it’s not encouraged but accepted as a norm

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

Night culture was never a part of rural Punjabi life, most people in the old days used to wake up like 4am, many still do. 

Things are changing with the youth though, my cousin goes "clubbing" in Ludhiana and Chandigarh and returns home middle of the night. Not sure what the clubbing scene is like in Punjab, never asked him ... 

I think it’s much similar to Western night life, but (with exceptions of course) there is more restraint and still a sense of sharm  compared to West. 

And it’s likely less prevalent in rural dwellers being generally, farther from such places 

If anybody has been to Mediterranean countries, or Dubai or even parts of the far east like Singapore, there are families that go out at night, to restaurants, cinemas, shopping etc

The issue is not night time, the issue is what is open during night time. If everything is open then it dilutes things some what.

If anyone is old enough to remember the 80's in the UK, many kids were not allowed out a night, so the buggers used to set up day time parties. 

These are today's 50 something's who now have grown up kids.

6 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If anybody has been to Mediterranean countries, or Dubai or even parts of the far east like Singapore, there are families that go out at night, to restaurants, cinemas, shopping etc

The issue is not night time, the issue is what is open during night time. If everything is open then it dilutes things some what.

If anyone is old enough to remember the 80's in the UK, many kids were not allowed out a night, so the buggers used to set up day time parties. 

These are today's 50 something's who now have grown up kids.

Don't remind me. ?