Workplace Racism

Premi5

• 3 weeks later...

It's sad it's happening in this day n age. 

I feel fortunate place where I work, they treat me equally despite am the only Indian and Sikh! A couple of handshake here n there (despite Corona). 

• 3 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59148419

Azeem Rafiq: Leading sponsors cut ties with Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Several sponsors have ended their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club as the fallout from the Azeem Rafiq investigation continues.

Primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea have severed ties with the club.

Rafiq will give evidence in person to MPs into a report about allegations of racism he made against Yorkshire.

The report found Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

However, Yorkshire has said no disciplinary action would be taken.

Senior Yorkshire officials have also been called to attend the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing on 16 November.

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton will be questioned by MPs, along with chief executive Mark Arthur and director of cricket Martyn Moxon.

Witnesses who give evidence to select committees are protected by parliamentary privilege, which means they are immune from the threat of civil or criminal proceedings relating to what they say.

On Wednesday, Emerald Publishing said that while it was withdrawing its "brand association" with Yorkshire, it would continue a financial commitment to Headingley, where the home stadium of rugby league team Leeds Rhinos is also based.

Yorkshire Tea ended its affiliation with the club with "immediate effect", while leisure club operator David Lloyd said it has chosen not to reinstate its partnership.

Tetley's beer said it had informed Yorkshire that its sponsorship would not be extended beyond the end of the current contractual agreement.

Julian Knight MP has called on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerged apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight, chair of the DCMS select committee, called it "one of the most repellent and disturbing episodes in modern cricket history".

In a tweet, he added: "Given the endemic racism at Yorkshire County Cricket Club, I struggle to think of any reason why that the board should remain in post."

YCCC did not comment on any of the allegations when contacted by BBC Sport.

Knight's comments came after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid had called for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) did not take action, "it's not fit for purpose". He further stated in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries called Rafiq's treatment "disgusting" and said "the investigation that followed only makes it even worse".

In a tweet, she added that any ECB investigation must be "swift and fully transparent. Racism must be confronted, and NEVER written off as just 'banter'".

Meanwhile, Yorkshire MPs have called on the ECB to launch an "immediate, comprehensive and independent inquiry into the racist abuse".

In the letter, they said referring to the use of a racially offensive term as "banter" was "truly abhorrent".

"Azeem Rafiq was not afforded the dignity and respect he deserved, it now falls to the ECB to ensure this degrading incident is not repeated," it read.

The ECB has begun its own investigation and a spokesperson said: "Last week, we received Yorkshire CCC's report into the racism and bullying allegations Azeem Rafiq made against the club.

''We are conscious about the length of time that Azeem has waited for resolution and the toll that must be taking on his wellbeing and that of his family. We are sorry that, as a sport, this has not yet been resolved.

''We will conduct a full regulatory process that is fair to all parties, but also ensure this happens as quickly as possible. To achieve this, we have secured the services of a QC, along with other external investigatory support to upweight resource around our process. The ECB board has also reaffirmed its commitment to further additional resource, should the investigation require it.

''We are aware that the [DCMS] Select Committee have called Yorkshire's chair, Roger Hutton, to give evidence. In the meantime, we will press ahead with our investigation.''

Last year, Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

Seven of the 43 allegations were upheld in a report by an independent panel.

Hutton apologised to Rafiq - who had two stints with Yorkshire, the second ending in 2018 - and said there was "no question" that during his first spell at the club he had been "the victim of racial harassment".

However, the club recently said it will not take disciplinary action against any player, employee or executive over the harassment.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, Premi5 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59148419

Azeem Rafiq: Leading sponsors cut ties with Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Several sponsors have ended their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club as the fallout from the Azeem Rafiq investigation continues.

Primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea have severed ties with the club.

Rafiq will give evidence in person to MPs into a report about allegations of racism he made against Yorkshire.

The report found Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

However, Yorkshire has said no disciplinary action would be taken.

Senior Yorkshire officials have also been called to attend the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing on 16 November.

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton will be questioned by MPs, along with chief executive Mark Arthur and director of cricket Martyn Moxon.

Witnesses who give evidence to select committees are protected by parliamentary privilege, which means they are immune from the threat of civil or criminal proceedings relating to what they say.

On Wednesday, Emerald Publishing said that while it was withdrawing its "brand association" with Yorkshire, it would continue a financial commitment to Headingley, where the home stadium of rugby league team Leeds Rhinos is also based.

Yorkshire Tea ended its affiliation with the club with "immediate effect", while leisure club operator David Lloyd said it has chosen not to reinstate its partnership.

Tetley's beer said it had informed Yorkshire that its sponsorship would not be extended beyond the end of the current contractual agreement.

Julian Knight MP has called on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerged apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight, chair of the DCMS select committee, called it "one of the most repellent and disturbing episodes in modern cricket history".

In a tweet, he added: "Given the endemic racism at Yorkshire County Cricket Club, I struggle to think of any reason why that the board should remain in post."

YCCC did not comment on any of the allegations when contacted by BBC Sport.

Knight's comments came after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid had called for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) did not take action, "it's not fit for purpose". He further stated in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries called Rafiq's treatment "disgusting" and said "the investigation that followed only makes it even worse".

In a tweet, she added that any ECB investigation must be "swift and fully transparent. Racism must be confronted, and NEVER written off as just 'banter'".

Meanwhile, Yorkshire MPs have called on the ECB to launch an "immediate, comprehensive and independent inquiry into the racist abuse".

In the letter, they said referring to the use of a racially offensive term as "banter" was "truly abhorrent".

"Azeem Rafiq was not afforded the dignity and respect he deserved, it now falls to the ECB to ensure this degrading incident is not repeated," it read.

The ECB has begun its own investigation and a spokesperson said: "Last week, we received Yorkshire CCC's report into the racism and bullying allegations Azeem Rafiq made against the club.

''We are conscious about the length of time that Azeem has waited for resolution and the toll that must be taking on his wellbeing and that of his family. We are sorry that, as a sport, this has not yet been resolved.

''We will conduct a full regulatory process that is fair to all parties, but also ensure this happens as quickly as possible. To achieve this, we have secured the services of a QC, along with other external investigatory support to upweight resource around our process. The ECB board has also reaffirmed its commitment to further additional resource, should the investigation require it.

''We are aware that the [DCMS] Select Committee have called Yorkshire's chair, Roger Hutton, to give evidence. In the meantime, we will press ahead with our investigation.''

Last year, Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

Seven of the 43 allegations were upheld in a report by an independent panel.

Hutton apologised to Rafiq - who had two stints with Yorkshire, the second ending in 2018 - and said there was "no question" that during his first spell at the club he had been "the victim of racial harassment".

However, the club recently said it will not take disciplinary action against any player, employee or executive over the harassment.

From BBC again

Gary Ballance says he 'regrets' using racial slur against Azeem Rafiq during time together at Yorkshire

Last updated on4 November 20214 November 2021.From the sectionCricket

Gary Ballance and Azeem Rafiq Ballance, who joined Yorkshire in 2008, played with Rafiq during the latter's two spells at the county

Ex-England international Gary Ballance has said he "regrets" using racist language towards his former Yorkshire team-mate Azeem Rafiq.

In a lengthy and emotional statement, Yorkshire batter Ballance said he was responsible for some of the offensive terms Rafiq was subjected to during his time at Headingley.

"It has been reported that I used a racial slur and, as I told the independent enquiry, I accept that I did so and I regret doing so," said Ballance, 31.

"To be clear - I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years."

Ballance, who played 23 Test matches for England, said Rafiq was his "best mate in cricket" and that he "cared deeply for him", adding that "on the pitch we supported each other greatly".

"I do not wish to discredit Rafa by repeating the words and statements that he made about me and others but I have to be clear that this was a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other which, outside of that context, would be considered wholly inappropriate," added Ballance.

"I regret that these exchanges took place but at no time did I believe or understand that it had caused Rafa distress.

"If I had believed that then I would have stopped immediately. He was my best mate in cricket and I cared deeply for him. To my knowledge, it has never been alleged that I reduced Rafa to tears."

Rafiq has responded by again accusing Yorkshire of institutional racism and "abject" failures by the club's leaders.

Zimbabwe-born Ballance said he and Rafiq "remained closest friends throughout the time we exchanged these inappropriate comments" with his team-mate travelling to Zimbabwe to stay with Ballance's family. Ballance said he was also invited to Rafiq's wedding in Pakistan, which he could not attend.

He added: "That does not mean that what passed between us was right or appropriate. It was not. Rafa said things to me that were not acceptable and I did the same with Rafa. I never said anything with any intended malice or to upset Rafa."

ESPN Cricinfo published an interview with Rafiq in September 2020 in which he claimed "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life, which prompted an investigation by the club.

In September this year, Yorkshire released the findings of the report, which said Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" with seven of the 43 allegations made by the player upheld by an independent panel.

In October, Yorkshire said it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

Rafiq received a heavily redacted version of the findings of the report into his allegations after Yorkshire missed the Friday, 8 October deadline by which it had been ordered to release it in full by an employment judge.

However, on Monday ESPN claimed to have seen redacted elements of the report, including that a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him but the Yorkshire report concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

Earlier this week, Julian Knight MP, chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee, called on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerged apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq, who left Yorkshire in 2018.

'I am aware of how hurtful the racial slur is'

Ballance said he felt he had "no choice but to provide a public response" following media reports which, he says, offer a "misleading impression of the evidence which was heard in the investigation".

"I am aware of how hurtful the racial slur is and I regret that I used this word in immature exchanges in my younger years and I am sure Rafa feels the same about some of the things he said to me as well," he said.

"My intention, during this whole process, has been to be honest and cooperate with the independent investigation.

"In light of recent media reports it is only right, on behalf of me and my family, that I put my position in the public domain."

Rafiq report timeline

2 September 2020: Following an initial interview with Wisden,ESPN Cricinfo publish an article with Rafiq in which he claims "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life.

3 September 2020: Yorkshire say they have launched a "formal investigation" into the claims made by Rafiq and chairman Roger Hutton says the club would be carrying out a "wider review" of their "policies and culture"

5 September 2020: Yorkshire ask an independent law firm to investigate racism allegations against the club by Rafiq.

13 November 2020: Rafiq says he hopes to bring about "meaningful change" after giving his first statement to the inquiry.

15 December 2020: Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire "claiming direct discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, as well as victimisation and detriment as a result of trying to address racism at the club".

2 February 2021: Yorkshire threaten a lifetime ban for anyone found to have made threats against Rafiq or his family and legal team after ESPN Cricinfo show them messages sent to Rafiq's legal firm.

17 June 2021: An employment tribunal case between Rafiq and his former club Yorkshire fails to find a resolution. The independent investigation into his racism allegations remains ongoing.

16 August 2021: Yorkshire receive the findings of an independent investigation into the racism allegations and, two days later, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) asks for a copy.

19 August 2021: Yorkshire, yet to release the findings of the report at this stage, admit Rafiq was "the victim of inappropriate behaviour" and offer him their "profound apologies".

Rafiq accuses Yorkshire of downplaying racism by calling him the victim of "inappropriate behaviour".

8 September 2021: MPs tell Yorkshire to publish the findings of the report "immediately".

10 September 2021: Yorkshire release the findings of the report, which says Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" and seven of the 43 allegations made by the player were upheld by an independent panel.

According to Hutton, the report said there was "insufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is institutionally racist".

Yorkshire released a summary of the panel's report and recommendations but said the full report could not be released for legal reasons "in relation to privacy law and defamation".

8 October 2021: Yorkshire miss a deadline to send the full report to Rafiq and his legal team after BBC Sport understands an employment judge ordered the club to release it in full by Friday, 8 October.

13 October 2021: Rafiq then receives a heavily redacted version, while the ECB says it is still awaiting the full report.

28 October 2021: Yorkshire says it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

2 November 2021: The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee calls on Hutton to appear before it to answer questions about Yorkshire's handling of a report into Rafiq's allegations of racism.

Julian Knight MP, chair of the DCMS select committee, calls on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerges apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

Knight makes his comments after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid calls for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the ECB did not take action "it's not fit for purpose". He further states in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

3 November 2021: The date of the DCMS hearing is scheduled for 16 November and Rafiq is called to give evidence in person, along with senior Yorkshire officials.

Several sponsors, including primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea, end their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Ballance releases a lengthy statement expressing regret for using a racial slur against former Yorkshire team-mate Rafiq.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59295933

Maurice Chambers: Second former Essex player makes racism allegations

Last updated on 2 hours ago2 hours ago.From the section Cricket

Maurice Chambers Maurice Chambers played his last first-class match in 2015 for Northants

Former Essex bowler Maurice Chambers has become the second player to say he suffered racist abuse at the club.

The 34-year-old, who was born in Jamaica, alleges he was repeatedly racially abused by two team-mates and a senior coach at the county.

Chambers, who played for Essex from 2005-2013, told The Cricketer he "would go home at the end of the day and cry".

The allegations come after another ex-Essex player, Zoheb Sharif, claimed he suffered racist abuse at the club.

"It was humiliating. It was isolating. I never told anyone, but I would go home at the end of the day and cry. It made me very unhappy," Chambers said.

He said other than one occasion, when his mother reported an incident on his behalf, he "never reported anything" as he was "always worried about being seen as a troublemaker".

Essex chief executive John Stephenson said he was "extremely disappointed to hear of further historic racial allegations" which made "distressing reading". 

He said none of the individuals were now involved with the club, and had referred the matter to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

https://news.sky.com/story/yorkshire-cricketers-taking-legal-advice-ahead-of-azeem-rafiqs-evidence-to-mps-about-institutional-racism-12469701

Several Yorkshire cricketers have been taking legal advice anticipating that they could be accused of racist behaviour when former teammate Azeem Rafiq gives evidence to MPs in Westminster. 

The 30-year-old whistleblower, who has accused his former club of being "institutionally racist", will explain why the abuse he suffered led him to consider taking his own life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59304381

Rafiq, 30, told a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee that racist language was "constantly" used during his time at Yorkshire.

In an emotional testimony, he also said the club gave him "inhuman" treatment after his son was still-born in 2017.

He added the issues he faced at Yorkshire are "without a shadow of a doubt" widespread in domestic cricket.

Rafiq said he had lost his career to racism, which is a "horrible feeling" but that "hopefully" by speaking out there will be "massive change in five years' time".

"All I wanted was an acceptance, an apology, an understanding, and let's try and work together to ensure it never happens again," he continued.

"I was not going to let this go, no matter how much damage it causes me - I was determined to become a voice for the voiceless."

In wide-ranging testimony, Rafiq also said:

• All he ever wanted to do was realise his "dream" of playing for England
  • Racist language, including terms aimed at his and others' Pakistani heritage, was used "constantly" and "never stamped out" during his time at Yorkshire
  • The use of such terms was racist and not "banter" as the report had concluded
  • It left him feeling "isolated" and "humiliated", with racist comments made by others in front of team-mates and coaching staff but not challenged
  • The use of such language was so common it "became the norm" and people at the club "didn't think it was wrong"
  • He "didn't realise" and was "in denial" about the scale of the problem during most of his first spell at Yorkshire, up until 2014
  • He thought "things had changed" when he returned for his second spell in 2016
  • But the atmosphere became "toxic" after Gary Ballance took over as captain later that year, shortly after former batter Andrew Gale replaced Jason Gillespie as head coach
  • Aged 15 and a practising Muslim, he was pinned down by a senior player at his local cricket club and red wine was poured into his mouth
  • He said he did not drink alcohol again until "around 2012" when he felt he had to "to fit in" at Yorkshire
  • He said he "wasn't perfect" and was "not proud" of some of the things he did and said while drinking, but these have "no relation" to the racism he was subjected to
  • The report into his allegations was "shoddy at best" and the panel failed to speak to key witnesses

https://news.sky.com/story/azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-making-antisemitic-comments-in-2011-12471813

Azeem Rafiq has apologised for making antisemitic remarks in 2011 in a message posted on social media.

The former cricketer, who has been at the centre of revealing the recent racism scandal which has sent shockwaves through the game, posted a statement on Twitter.

He said he was "ashamed" of remarks he made more than a decade ago when he was 19-years-old and apologised to the Jewish community.

The messages, uncovered by The Times, were sent to former Warwickshire and Leicestershire player Ateeq Javid.

Rafiq was seen to make disparaging comments about an unnamed person.

Tweeting about the old messages on Thursday, Rafiq wrote: "I have gone back to check my account and it is me - I have absolutely no excuses.

10 hours ago, Premi5 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-making-antisemitic-comments-in-2011-12471813

Azeem Rafiq has apologised for making antisemitic remarks in 2011 in a message posted on social media.

The former cricketer, who has been at the centre of revealing the recent racism scandal which has sent shockwaves through the game, posted a statement on Twitter.

He said he was "ashamed" of remarks he made more than a decade ago when he was 19-years-old and apologised to the Jewish community.

The messages, uncovered by The Times, were sent to former Warwickshire and Leicestershire player Ateeq Javid.

Rafiq was seen to make disparaging comments about an unnamed person.

Tweeting about the old messages on Thursday, Rafiq wrote: "I have gone back to check my account and it is me - I have absolutely no excuses.

You just couldn't make it up! The guy protesting against casual racism displayed casual racist attitudes to Jews! Who had the bright idea to have him as a figurehead to take on casual racism? 

• The topic was unpinned