How did your ancestors become Sikhs?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about Hindu Jats who have the same last names as Sikh Jats?  Yuzvendra Chahal, a Hindu Jat  Simarpreet Kaur Chahal, a Jat Sikh actress  On religion of Jats in 1901 and 1931 (s

Up to the 10th century Jats were tribals having a tribal religion, nothing to do with 'Hinduism'. 12th century and Muslim invasions, the Jats fought against them in areas around Rawalpindi and some tr

Lol. My little secret is out. No, I'm a first unfortunately. My mom is close. I'm hoping the Guru Granth Sahib takes her up. 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Guest sikh said:

Do any of you know when your ancestors became Sikhs? What faith did they follow before Sikhi and which are were they from?

Nope. In my family, we have not records going back more than 3-4 generations, and no one has said we were non-Sikh anytime soon before that

• Like 1
On 1/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

Lol. My little secret is out. No, I'm a first unfortunately. My mom is close. I'm hoping the Guru Granth Sahib takes her up. 

The fact that she has not yet, proves to me Guru Granth Sahib Ji takes you. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest guest
On 1/5/2022 at 6:24 AM, Guest sikh said:

Do any of you know when your ancestors became Sikhs? What faith did they follow before Sikhi and which are were they from?

are you some kind of troll?  i think you know the answers to this.

more to the point is that our ancestors stuck to Sikhi, and didn't convert to Islam, Christianity or Arya Samaj for the sake of safety or upward mobility.

49 minutes ago, proactive said:

It really depends on what background a Sikh's ancestors came from.  If they were Jat, Kamboh  or any other agricultural castes then their ancestors were never Hindus at all. These groups followed their own tribal religions which consisted of ancestor worship such as Jathera. The Sikhs who come from the Khatri, Brahmin, Arora backgrounds had Hindu ancestors. The Sikhs whose ancestors' background was so-called lower castes like Chamar, Chuhra etc, they also followed older animalist gods which were eventually incorporated into popular Hinduism. 

If you look beyond the Hindu propaganda that anyone who lived in south Asia prior to the Muslim invasions was a Hindu then technically possibly less than 10% of Sikhs today had Hindu ancestors.

There was a minor census done by a British officer in 1848 of Lahore which was cited in an article in the Punjab Past and Present journal of Punjabi university which I read a few years ago. He classed the Sikhs as either Muslim-Sikhs and Hindu-Sikhs, ie those who came from a Hindu background and those who came from a Muslim background. He found that around 9 or 10% of the Sikhs of his time in Lahore came from a Muslim background and 90% came from a Hindu background. This wouldn't be the same all over Punjab because Lahore being the centre of Sikh power, Muslims would have been more likely to become Sikhs there than in other parts of Punjab. But it does show that the 'Sikhs all came from Hindus' slogan is complete BS. 

I'm not too sure but there's data from the British era which shows a major decline in Hindu-Jat population in Panjab over the years and at the same time a big increase in Sikh-Jat population. Jathera worship wouldn't be the dominant religion followed by a family during the British times but more so practiced on the side (similar to how people visited Peers/Deras but follow another faith too) and some still carry it out on the side today. 

We know it's propaganda that "Sikhs all come from Hindus". Like Sant Syed Prithipal Singh (né Mushtaq Hussein) was born in a famous religious Muslim-Mirpuri family but became a baptised Sikh. 

• Like 1