How to measure bhagti?

shastarSingh

These days every person says that the Jathedaar/baba of their group has been doing bhagti for decades and has the greatest bhagti. 

But How do we measure someone's bhagti?

During Kharrku movement, there were many young Kharrku Singhs who were only doing nitnem and Gurbani paatth for few years but yet they gave shaheedi.

On the other side, we hv/had these old babaas doing bhagti for decades but were/are still afraid of the government and some also become agents.

I think bhagti only brings fruit if one has love and loyalty for Guru Sahib.

Spiritual progress depends on Gur Prasad and Gur Prasad cannot happen without love and loyalty.

1 minute ago, shastarSingh said:

Then why do every jathebandi says their Jathedaar or baba is a sant or a brahmgyani?

Because people are being competitive.

Bhai Randhir Singh and Sant Gurbachan Singh didn’t do any competition on who did more Bhagti or who did more for the Panth.

3 hours ago, shastarSingh said:

Dallysingh veerji

Proactive veerji

MisterrSingh veerji

Premi veerji

Can you plz tell how do we get to know how much bhagti a person has?

If this is a rhetorical question, I think the answer is a true bhagat does not tell anyone, they keep it gupt. 

Sometimes when we see or meet someone who has avastha, we get a sense of that. 

But other times, we don't have a clue. I understand this was the case with Sant Baba Hansali wale at times (deliberately ?) as they often changed the way they appeared to people/sangat

Only someone with high avastha/bhagti can recognise another one (from my understanding). 'Takes one to know one'

31 minutes ago, Jassu said:

Honestly, it is nearly impossible to tell who is sincere or not. Look at it this way: a lot of Sikh parcharaks and leaders got exposed for doing a lot of disgusting and nefarious deeds (sh!t like abusing youngsters which should never happen in our community). Some of us even admired them. We can never know for sure, tbh. It is better to be safe than sorry. Look at actions and not words. We can't trust anyone, no one is on our side unless they prove themselves to be a shaheed/martyr or a valiant fighting for our quom. A lot of people, even here, will write essays about Sikhi and their love for it but we don't know their true story or intentions. Be careful of people who act like they are better than you, that's always suspicious. Instead of helping you, they are always trying to pull you down or tear you down. Imagine if all the shaheeds during 80's were told, uhhh no, f off because of your past you can't join us and help us? 

For some people, money and status matters more than religion. We are kind of seeing the effects of it (conversion of some people into other religions, leaders selling out). The true ones will always stay or find their way. Some babas did that (became agents) because maybe doing bhagti and acting like they loved Guru Ji was more beneficial to them in the past but after a while, being an 'agent' gave them more brownie points. 

Very nice thoughts.

Thanks for posting on this forum.

41 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I understand this was the case with Sant Baba Hansali wale at times (deliberately ?) as they often changed the way they appeared to people/sangat

Hansali wale were a good gursikh but we don't know whether he was a brahmgyani or a sant or a decent gursikh below sant avastha.

Gyani thakur Singh was telling that one day hansali wale were sitting crosslegged for a long time. He opened his eyes and said "paani bohat charriya hoyiya c" which means water was beyond control and then he said "I tried to lower down the power of water."

I hv 2 problems with that.

1. Why will a sant tell everybody that he has the power to stop a tsunami like event?

2. If God wants tsunami like disaster to occur at some place, why shud a sant try to stop it and interfere in God's hukam/bhaanaa.?

6 minutes ago, shastarSingh said:

1. Why will a sant tell everybody that he has the power to stop a tsunami like event?

2. If God wants tsunami like disaster to occur at some place, why shud a sant try to stop it and interfere in God's hukam/bhaanaa.?

Wasn't 1984 also Vaheguru's Hukam?