Guru's and their image

Mahavir

Hi guys,

I've always been intereseted in information regarding the Guru's, heres what I understand so far:

Guru Nanak Dev ji was said to have started to farm in his elderly age to maintain his health and actually passed away at a very old age?

Guru Hargobind Singh ji was said to have been the tallest of all the Guru's, he was said to be 7 feet and 45 inches from one shoulder to the other; theres a Dhaliwal family somewhere in Sangrur(I think) and they have a robe of Guru ji adding some evidence to that claim. An example of his physical feats, I was told he had this Pathan employeed who could crush a metal coin with one fist and carry a full grown buffalo over both shoulders for miles, when the Pathan faced Guru ji though, Guru ji just like dropped his butt in less then a second lol

Guru Gobind Singh ji was said to have herculean like warrior skills, one example I heard was when he shot an arrow from a battlefeild towards the Moghul emperors, and it like landed right next to their heads with a message attached to it.

Could anyone clarify/add to this?

Hi Akal,

70 years old during the 15th century? Thats actually pretty old in those days.

I would think the farming bit would make sense, as the Guru's did promote an active lifestyle.

Sorry but I dont put alot of faith in Sakhi's bro.

Any info on the Guru's themselves though?

there is no real evidence of what the gurus looked like. clothes that we some people state are the gurus' can not be traced back further than a hundred years in most cases.

guru nanak did live to an incredibly old age for the 16th century. the average age of death back then was less than fourty years of age. only in the last century with advances in medicine, the discovery of germs, better benifits for workers, safety concerns and advances in construction for homes that living standars have greatly improved. in fact, look at the gurus themselves. only 3 gurus lived past the age of 50! guru nanak sahib jee, guru amar das sahib jee and guru tegh bahadur sahib jee. besides those three gurus, most passed away in their thirties and fourties, common for that time period.

guru nanak's age is thus very remarkable.

about his being a farmer, bhai gurdas's vaaran support this. guru nanak, after returning from his last udasi, and been reunited with his wife and children at the pind now known as "Dera Baba Nanak", created a new town across the river known as Kartarpur Sahib. There, he refused to live off of the sangats maya and instead provided for himself by working in the fields. tradition states that he worked until he passed away at the age of 72.

gurFateh

wjkk wjkf...well i think i have the real pic of guru nanak...well in this paper..the 5 banis was writen..n it was said tht when they finished it..the face of a man came out..they said its guru nanaks face..cause of the dastar style..but i have some pro to put tht pic on line cause i dnt have a scanner..ill try ma best to show u guys..bhul chuk maaf..wjkk wjkf..

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well I was told that it say's somewhere that Guru Gobind Singh Ji was a very strong man he picked up a horse with a man sitting on it with one hand, and in my heart I believe this is true

:wub:

Bhul chuk maaf

Inder Kaur

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guru Hargobind ji had an enormous physique. Even in Gurbani ( Bhai Gurdass or SGGS) it states that Guru ji was very heavy. This should be true because even Baba Buddha ji foretold that Guru ji would crush the heads of the evil like onions. Guru ji’s kaccherra was made from 5 meters of cloth.

Guru Gobind Singh ji is said have had a slender build. He was tall, slender, and very agile.

I think Guru Nanak sahib would be very tanned ( decades of traveling in the hot regions). He would be comparatively thin as you can imagine what decades of walking would do to a person. Also, it is known from sakhis that Guru ji and Bhai Mardana would have to go several days without food. This takes a toll on the body and makes a person very lean.

I think the photos that show Guru Nanak as a well rounded baba are probably not correct. He would definitely not look like the old grandpas of today.