Alcoholism recovery

Guest Singh

I am struggling with alcohol use disorder - my drinking has put me in unsafe situations and I have no doubt that if I continue down this path, I will be back in jail or in the hospital.

Does the Gurdwara or community have any resources that can help? I have looked into AA and things, but it felt cultish to me- I would prefer to pursue my recovery around the word of our Gurus, and I am not sure where to begin. Do I just show up to the Gurdwara and say I have an addiction problem? Do I perform service every time I feel a temptation? Any advice is welcomed.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:10 PM, Guest Singh said:

I am struggling with alcohol use disorder - my drinking has put me in unsafe situations and I have no doubt that if I continue down this path, I will be back in jail or in the hospital.

Does the Gurdwara or community have any resources that can help? I have looked into AA and things, but it felt cultish to me- I would prefer to pursue my recovery around the word of our Gurus, and I am not sure where to begin. Do I just show up to the Gurdwara and say I have an addiction problem? Do I perform service every time I feel a temptation? Any advice is welcomed.

AA is solid. 

You need to combine Simran, and Sangat eho support sobriety. Isolate. Read Gurbani and listen to Kirtan. 

you need a mix really

physical:

- go to AA no matter what

- do exercise

- try to do some little seva in gurdwara - anything but keep mind humble and remember guru nanak dev jee

spiritual:

- sit in sangat no matter what even if u feel shitty and do vaheguru while you sit there, make this a routine you never give up even

- start mool mantar at home, 15 mins in morning and dont give up

On 9/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, Guest Singh said:

Do I just show up to the Gurdwara and say I have an addiction problem?

Please avoid this, you’ll bump into judgemental types who push you away from Sikhi.

Hanji go to the gurdwara and pray in front of Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, that Guru Sahib ji please help me. Understand this much, your soul won’t find peace anywhere else. There is no other than Satguru ji who can liberate your soul.

Then take a seat in the sangat and reflect. Forget the situation for a moment. Vaheguru ji made his decision he would like to pull you back to him forever and for this purpose he arranged you have this mortal body and meet Satguru ji. It’s never too late, don’t feel bad about anything. 

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are the living guru. Daas would advise to start a sahej paath, where you read the entire Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It’s fine to use an app on your phone or online. Start with read 1 ang per day, but read translation too. This establishes your continuous daily conversation with Guru Sahib Ji. It will make a huge difference to your life. Personal experience daas would even call it magic. Whatever question or problems I have always seems to if by magic those answers come up in sahej paath.

Then Mool Mantar, simran, seva, read history of Sikhi etc. @SikhInTheMakingji can give you practical tips because he got through this, just like you will too 😀

The punishment for drinking alcohol is molten metal poured down your throat in afterlife. Not to mention other hells your soul passes through. Why you want to drink that poison for? Make a RULE. If alcohol comes into your hand, without thinking pour it down the sink immediately! The best thing you could drink as a mortal on earth is beautiful and sweet Khande di phaul prepared by Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji. Guru sahib ji tells us Singh panchan main hamro vasa. Work towards taking amrit di daat.