Mind And Soul

BibaKaur

waheguroo ji ka khalsa waheguroo ji ki fateh

Sangat ji,

I was having a discussion with my friend when the question came up whether our Mind and Soul are two different things or the same?

Your views along with any links to gurbaani, literature/books will be much appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SikhForLife

this is a very good question.. and ull hear tons of diverse views on this ..

Soul to me means your state of being

and your mind is what can change your state. and thoughts of ur mind are reflected by your soul's state.

example:

page 176

Gauree Gwaarayree, Fifth Mehl:

In so many incarnations, you were a worm and an insect;

in so many incarnations, you were an elephant, a fish and a deer.

In so many incarnations, you were a bird and a snake.

In so many incarnations, you were yoked as an ox and a horse. ||1||

Meet the Lord of the Universe - now is the time to meet Him.

After so very long, this human body was fashioned for you. ||1||Pause||

In so many incarnations, you were rocks and mountains;

in so many incarnations, you were aborted in the womb;

in so many incarnations, you developed branches and leaves;

you wandered through 8.4 million incarnations. ||2||

Through the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you obtained this human life.

Do seva - selfless service; follow the Guru's Teachings, and vibrate the Lord's Name, Har, Har.

Abandon pride, falsehood and arrogance.

Remain dead while yet alive, and you shall be welcomed in the Court of the Lord. ||3||

Whatever has been, and whatever shall be, comes from You, Lord.

No one else can do anything at all.

We are united with You, when You unite us with Yourself.

Says Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, Har, Har. ||4||3||72||

your soul (state of being) can range from anything.. but by meeting SadhSangat you achieve this state where you are able to remember God.. and you can remember God by taming your mind to adhere to the above guidelines. of seva, simran etc

vjkk vjkf

I think they're two diffrent things, because soul is the one thing that u keep with you through you're millions of reincarnations. The mind is constantly changed over and over again. The mind is the one thing that has to be cleansed, not the soul. The mind is what gurbani aims to fix, so to speak. They are two diffrent entities.

This is what i heard .......the soul was with akaal purakh waheguroo but while being in the wheel of 84...it lost its companionship of waheguroo and start chilling with the mind......now the mind introduced the soul to his buddies...the five evils ( kam, krodh ,lobh, mo ahankar) and together these became gangsters and do loads of crimes( karmas)........now in order to get back in touch with waheguroo the person needs to do simran and paath (loads of it ) :umm: ....and when a person does loads of it...the soul lose interest in the mind and start focusin more on finding akaal purakh waheguroo.......when that connection is established and the soul start listening to satguruji.. the soul becomes a good boy again....and guruji does his kirpaa....

To further expand on what Ryu has said, You are the Soul, the Mind is your Instrument which you have carried with you thru out your births. It is you instrument to use on your journey, when you reach your home the Instrument is no longer your necessary.

Further more You Still 'Are' without the Mind, at the state of Nirvikalp Smadhi, the mind is no longer because it is a state of no thought and where there is no thought the mind is not, But you Still are so you are not the Mind.

Guest Akaal108
To further expand on what Ryu has said, You are the Soul, the Mind is your Instrument which you have carried with you thru out your births. It is you instrument to use on your journey, when you reach your home the Instrument is no longer your necessary.

Further more You Still 'Are' without the Mind, at the state of Nirvikalp Smadhi, the mind is no longer because it is a state of no thought and where there is no thought the mind is not, But you Still are so you are not the Mind.

Vah JI Vah... I always have hard time putting into words but you have said it all.. listen to this gurmukh banda... he is the don :umm:

So basicaly every one agrees to it that mind and soul are different... cool.

Even in gurbaani there are several tukks where the word soul and mind both occur.

For example

min sMqoKu Awqm pqIAwny ]

man sunthokh aathum putheeaanae

The mind is contented, and the soul is fulfilled.

and

jIAry rwm jpq mnu mwnu ]

jeearae raam juputh mun maan

O my soul, chant the Name of the Lord; the mind will be pleased and appeased.

thanks to everyone for replying... it would be nice to hear more views. :umm:

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure why I think this, maybe it's from my minimal understanding of Gurbani or my own thoughts alone: I always think of the mind as something which can be corrupted, which has a lot of useless thoughts/ideas, which I use for work/study. I think of the soul as something purer, something which has a connection with God.

Who/What says that I am the Soul? Who creates the thought of association with the Soul and a Mind? Is the mind looping on itself to create its identity? Does the Mind have a soul when it forges the thought that I have a Soul? Who is this I which associates itself to the Mind, Thought, the Soul and the Body?