Question For The Singhs

Simran9

This time the question is for the Singhs, theres lots of you guys here tongue.gif

First we looked at what affects the girls in getting closer in sikhi :

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.ppa?showtopic=9593

Now you guys share what you think affects guys from becoming amritdhari, getting into sikhi.....anything having to do with sikhi.....whats taking you away from it or preventing you from being a better Sikh?

The bf gf stuff was already mentioned.....so think about other stuff that has taken you away from sikhi....

1) You think you are not "perfect" - and therefore shouldn't take Amrit because it disrespects the Amrit's value (A lot of oldies who don't want kids to take Amrit or need excuse for themselves - use this excuse).

>>> We take Amrit because we need help - not because we are Perfect. Guru Sahib himself took Amrit, showing the necessity of it. I am not perfect and hence I need to take Amrit and need the support and guidance of my Guru. I learnt this from the Sangat of Gursikhs

2) People saying "You are too young to take Amrit... Live life and take Amrit when you are middle aged"

>>> I might die tomorrow. We say do a good thing tomorrow, but a bad thing "do it today". "Hum Aadmi Ek Dami"... we live not knowing whether we breathe the last. Taking Amrit I will make a good foundation for my life to grow on, why wait? More longer you take, the more harder it gets to change your thoughts, habits and lifestyle etc (to be in accordance to gurmat)

3) "What about your wedding... take Amrit after marriage, coz then we can do sewa of the relatives (i.e. serve them sharaab paani), if not they will think bad of us... and people wont come to a Gursikh style wedding (i.e. go to gurdwara and eat langar - no sharaab kebabi party)

>>> I don't care what people say! "Teri Bhagat Naa Chhodo, Paane Log Hasai... I wont leave Waheguru's path even if people laugh"... End of day, its their loss. We should make an example in the family and show them that you can have a wedding without having to please "relatives" by doing manmat and turning your back on the same guroo who you seek for blessings.

4) Weighing up whether you will be able to cope in society and the pressures from peer group - e.g. people wanna share food from ur plate, people swearing around you, friends talking manmat (dirty) talk etc....

>>> I told my friends, and relatives not to swear around me and not talk manmat around me. Once you take a strong stand and show that you are not going to compromise your principles (in a loving and respectful way) then people will respect you for that and stop. My Gore friends at college, when i was around they wouldn't talk about dirty things and stuff which they knew I didnt want to hear. Don't become a victim to people's manmat lifestyle or views - be strong like a lion!

thats my thought and responses (according to my personal experience)

whats taking you away from it or preventing you from being a better Sikh?

away? it reminds of the last lines of an article I read two days ago that said "Dushmana Ton Wadd Mainoo Dostaan Nay Maareyaa" (hope you know what I mean). usually people from inside pushed me away but sakhis of Shaheed Gursikhs keep bringing me back. my family has always encouraged me and others in Sikhi. recently my cousin took Amrit . Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

"

Dushmana Ton Wadd Mainoo Dostaan Nay Maareyaa
"

reminds me of sher....which goes like that....

Hum to apno nay maaraa, Gairon mein kahan Dum tha,

Meri Kishte bhi dubee wahan, jahan pani kam tha"

pray.gif

whats taking you away from it or preventing you from being a better Sikh?

away? it reminds of the last lines of an article I read two days ago that said "

Dushmana Ton Wadd Mainoo Dostaan Nay Maareyaa
" (hope you know what I mean). usually people from inside pushed me away but sakhis of Shaheed Gursikhs keep bringing me back. my family has always encouraged me and others in Sikhi. recently my cousin took Amrit . Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

85407[/snapback]

wjkk wjkf..well wht stops me from keeping my hair is tht..no support from family..n then like ur the only one in the house whos keeping amrit..n if ur vege..its hard for u to cook..or even hard..cause u eat n cook in the same plate ...well iim am a practising amritdhari sikh..still in the proses of practising..still waiting for the amrit sanchar....hope guru maharaj provides me with amrit!his antarjami..knows when ill be ready for it..wjkk wjkf

To tell you truth.. There are many guys who keep their hair but in reality they do not want to keep it. Seeing young hip non-sikh stuff on tv and then there's bollywood/hollywood fashion clearly shows that short hair is needed to attract any women. This is the mental setup of many Sikh youth out there.

About decade ago, in punjab most of the sikh youth wouldn't dare to cut their hair of their parents/relatives fear, BUT these days they won't mind as the society changed a lot and no wonder why you see 8 out of 10 youths of punjab monay. In some way it's good because at least they are leading false life (according to their mind). But the thing is having hair but do not know why.. is still one step ahead of other ppls who do not have hair, Why? because maybe later on their mind changes and learnt the real meaning of sikhi.

Taking amrit for guys is not also very easy.. Getting called as giyani, baba and so on is not so cool nick for youths who are amritdhari. But when a person takes amrit then he is definately don't care about those stuff. If one is still thinking.. "Ohhh man what would my friends think or what if i can't go to parties and get stoned" well in that case the person needs to discover more about sikhi. because real sikhi is not limited to those thinking levels.

Couple of years ago.. taking amrit was huge GIANT step and i was like "No way.. thats not for me, im still just a choota bacha.. lol" Seriously i thought that taking amrit is only for ppls who are only interested in Religious life.. Which is very good but back in my mind im more social guy who likes to have clean fun as person next to me.. But later one having couple of friends and so on made me think hey.. what i am thinking.. being amrit i can lead my social life as long as its clean.. i can go beach,hiking,backpacking and so on.. So naturally when guy or girl take amrit, your life becomes balance. You are doing all prayers and doing good job in religious and at the same time you are leading the normal life :umm:

Bhul chukka maaf karna jee

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I used to cut my hair chori chori (if my mum found out I would get more than a smack)when I was a kid so I could get rid of the split ends and make it even but now it doesnt matter about what my parents will say, its me and my Guru.

So I don't cut my hair because I don't want to. :umm: My parents don't want me to get 'too' religious now but its fun getting closer to God.

I did it the other way round: took amrit, then tried to follow rehit but I don't advise anyone to do that. But it helped me, I was close to 'trying out' smoking and the clubbin scene and all that but the fact that I had taken amrit stopped me from becoming a total loser (no offence to anyone who smokes). Even after taking amrit I was taking it easy(ie.not stress about doing paath on time) until I started to read the sants lives and then I woke up.

I'm trying to be a good Sikh and getting influenced by the stories I read, the experiences I have, the fact that there is a God, but no way am I a good example of a 'Sikh' but I'm proud to be amritdhaari and I would have it no other way ever. Its better than anything in life, getting married and having a babloo and pinky is no where as fun. Amrit is all that matters, I do believe that we have come to this world to pray, if God is all that matters, we have realised that, then what stops us from taking amrit?

Today blokes often don't take amrit as there are too many 'restrictions' such as not being allowed to marry a non-amritdhaari. IMO taking amrit is a path to freedom, it opens your eyes, when you are asleep you can do nothing, that is worse than restriction, but taking amrit makes you feel like you can do anything(good).

I think everyone of us can take amrit and follow Guru Ji's rehit if we only ask Guru Ji with saaf man and actually want to (you have to want to lol), so no excuses about waiting for the right time (are you waiting for a pandit to make a jantri?) or amrit not being for you (if Guru Ji shakd amrit and I did then why cant you?I'm no better than you and you don't get better than Guru Ji) pray.gif

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

i try to follow a closly as possible to the rehat. the only thing in my veiw that stops ppl from takin amrit or following the gurus path/rehat more strictly is the parents. my dad always says im an "extremist" (sorry if i spelt it wrong, im thick). i get moaned at for wearing a keski! its all down to the parents. my mother let me explore sikhism, i explored the shaheeds and the suffering. it is that which brought me closer to my guru, what they did for me. and they only ask for one thing in return, to follow the rehat.