HOw important is Taking Amrit for a Sikh??

Pheena

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

Quotations about Amrit are all over the Guru Granth Sahib. Most notable is that Amrit is described as a liquid that is drunk by the Gurmukh. I doibt it is a consequence that Amrit of the Panj Pyare is a liquid.

What about Nitnem? Guru Granth Sahib states over and over to remember the Lord with every breath every day (many with the word Nit, which means daily). Same as Sehaj Paath...to remember the Lord as much as possible.

What about Kirpan? Can't say...not knowlegeable enough. Even the Almighty is stated to be a sword-wielder (look up the word Kharag in Sikhitothemax search engine).

For a Sikh, the Panj Pyare are the Guru-in-body...they represent the ideal of the Gurbani instilled into a human form. Through them, salvation is achieved. Is Sikhism the only path to salvation? Don't know...but I do know that Bhai Gurdas Sahib did write "Kal Taran Guru Nanak Aya" - Guru Nanak Sahib has come to guide across the Kalyuga. Being Bhai Gurdas Sahib was chosen to write the Adi Granth, I tend to believe him. And who has the authority to guide others across Kalyuga? They who were given the Guru Sahib's authority...the Panj Pyare, whose command even the Tenth Nanak obeyed. And how does one become the Guru's disciple/Sikh? By taking amrit from those who were vested with the authority to administer it. (The point about the Udasis recognizing Charanamrit is interesting...who amongst them was given the Guru's Authority to administer Charanamrit? Who among has such a blessed foot that can match Guru Nanak Sahib's Charan? No Sangat Ji, only the Panj Pyare were given that divine right).

Panj Pyare are the way to salv

ation for a Sikh...and they administer Khande-Di-Pahul. Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh even analyzed the Japji Sahib lines starting with Panch (Panch Parvan, Panch Pardhan...) and concluded that these Panch (Panch meaning 5 members of an wise persons) were the Panj Pyare for Sikhs.

Take from it what you will...you believe that another person can get you to SachKhand...great, follow him/her.

Panj Pyare are the way to salvation for a Sikh...and they administer Khande-Di-Pahul.  Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh even analyzed the Japji Sahib lines starting with Panch (Panch Parvan, Panch Pardhan...) and concluded that these Panch (Panch meaning 5 members of an wise persons) were the Panj Pyare for Sikhs.

Punch Parvaan Punch Pardhan

Punchay pavay Darghay maan,

Punchay Sohahi dar raajaan

Puncha ka gur Aik Dhayan.

HOw do u get the 5 Piyaray from this???

The Translation that i have heard points to the inside world not the 5 Chosen ones

The 5 Senses, your 5 sense are the ones that are controlling you they are Pardhan

They are the Slaves of their 5 senses. Touch, Taste, Smell, Sight, Hearing.

The 5 that are honored in the court of the god are the (5 Virtues) Compassion, Love, Patience ( can't remember all of them)

Don't know what Sohahai means!!

Turn the 5 senses onto THE ONE and meditate.

Guru Nanak mentions nothing about the 5 piyaray in the Japji Sahib. It is the 10th Nanak which gives them status.

rolleyes.gif

i give up

if u dont want to take amrit, and u consider sikhi and the gurus unimportant, just dont take it, but dont expect a hug and pat on the back grin.gif

waheguru ji, If you are taking offense to my last post, i've said noting which proves that Taking Amrit is Wrong, Im just trying to understand it whether taking amrit is as necessary as doing Simran?? rolleyes.gif

Taking amrit means.. You are now responsible for several khalsa duties..

Without amrit one *CAN* feel lazy all tha time..

Taking amrit is the guidline for you to have guru sahibs darshan.. (If one takes it serious)

Without it, one has to travel in a zig zap fashion road to attain the gurusahib..

Taking amrit naturally bring and create strong brotherhood/sisterhood among in our community

without it you will see chugglaess(others behind talk) from women, jealousy and fights etc...

i can go on and on.. There are several advantages of taking amrit in our life.. without it one can be in difficult position and might find himself/herself questioning a lot ..

bhul chaak ke maaf grin.gif

pheena you take amrit because bhai gudas says to be a sikh you have to take amrit. the gurus acknowledged varan as the key to the guru granth.

rehatnamas and gurujis own hukams make it obvious that amrit is not just good, but COMPULSORY for a sikh of the guru. so do SGGS quotes, since amrit existed even in guru nanaks time.

if you cant understand the shabad, again, dont assume u are right and bhai sahib is wrong, why not read his book and make a decision? every line of gurbani has a meaning which only becomes 100percent clear to the enlightened soul.

what i "take offence to" or rather, ticks me off, is when people shy away from a harder lifestyle and try to justify by proving the thing wrong, rather than themselves wrong. i openly admit im a moorakh and a fool, who hasnt taken amrit, and need it. what others, not neccesarily you think, is, subconsciously, amrit is far too hard to stay by so lets try and make excuses to show how its not neccesary.

ever noticed how many excuses people come up with to show that kesh isnt needed any more? not relevant to todays society, not compulsory to be a sikh, etc?

but have you ever heard any irreligious sikh question the kara in teh same way? no, because its an easy thing to wear a kara, but not so easy to grow a dhari/long hair. its become a fashion statement. it doesnt involve any dedication or love for sikhi, now even non sikh indians wear it. in the same way, we only question things which we dont like or imply harder work.

pheena you take amrit because bhai gudas says to be a sikh you have to take amrit. the gurus acknowledged varan as the key to the guru granth.

rehatnamas and gurujis own hukams make it obvious that amrit is not just good, but COMPULSORY for a sikh of the guru. so do SGGS quotes, since amrit existed even in guru nanaks time.

if you cant understand the shabad, again, dont assume u are right and bhai sahib is wrong, why not read his book and make a decision? every line of gurbani has a meaning which only becomes 100percent clear to the enlightened soul.

what i "take offence to" or rather, ticks me off, is when people shy away from a harder lifestyle and try to justify by proving the thing wrong, rather than themselves wrong. i openly admit im a moorakh and a fool, who hasnt taken amrit, and need it. what others, not neccesarily you think, is, subconsciously, amrit is far too hard to stay by so lets try and make excuses to show how its not neccesary.

ever noticed how many excuses people come up with to show that kesh isnt needed any more? not relevant to todays society, not compulsory to be a sikh, etc?

but have you ever heard any irreligious sikh question the kara in teh same way? no, because its an easy thing to wear a kara, but not so easy to grow a dhari/long hair. its become a fashion statement. it doesnt involve any dedication or love for sikhi, now even non sikh indians wear it. in the same way, w

e only question things which we dont like or imply harder work.

It was not my translation, it was translated by a Sant which makes more sense to me that does the 5 Piyaray, I did not say Bhai sahib was wrong, it was translated thru another's perception. You can say im wrong simply based on im a Munmukh and thas fine with me. But i did not say that, it is something i've heard which i've written to the best of my memory. I'd be more than willing to post that clip for you.

Perhaps i did not make it clear earlier, i did not make this thread to prove that its wrong for a sikh to take amrit, im simly questioning the necessity of taking amrit. As for the rest of your posts, i think they have hit home and i greatly apprecite your input.

and with waheguru's grace i can turn from this > B) to this grin.gif

rolleyes.gif

i give up

if u dont want to take amrit, and u consider sikhi and the gurus unimportant, just dont take it, but dont expect a hug and pat on the back grin.gif

waheguru ji, If you are taking offense to my last post, i've said noting which proves that Taking Amrit is Wrong, Im just trying to understand it whether taking amrit is as necessary as doing Simran?? rolleyes.gif

ohh.. i see where you are coming from veer..

heres the thing, you see the importance of simran.. but you dont see the connection to amrit. But heres what sikhi says, without amrit, you cannot

do simran. Amrit is getting the naam, now from panj, which is guru sahibs roop, before it was charan pahul and guru sahib in human form.

So without getting naam from panj, what simran are you doing? you cannot do simran, and if you could, without rehat it is like filling a strainer with milk!