Y..........

And even the gaini ji who does the ardas talk about diwali and not bundhi chor divas ...now why is that  wacko.gif

93442[/snapback]

At the gurdwara i have been to on Bandi Chhor Diwas, such as Dixie Gurdwara in Brampton... the gyanni ji says BANDI CHHOR DIWAS and not diwali in ardas...

i thikn the sikhs lighted candles and stuff to when guru ji got out of jail becuz they were so happy... so that tradition has continued

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you call it as diwali or bandi chor diwas, its alright. Names doesn't make much difference.

I would prefer to call it as diwali as i have been calling it since i was like 5 or 6 yrs old.. But i know the reason why we celebrate diwali because of guru jees return to us.

In an ideal world names would not matter, and the ideal behind the celebration would be of significance. We would all know why we were celebrating what we were celebrating. Sadly, this is not the case.

A couple of years ago, at work, I was asked why Sikhs celebrated Diwali despite not 'believing in' Rama and Sita etc. This did shock me, as until that time I was unaware that the knowledge of Bandi Choor Diwas was not infact common knowledge among Sikhs.

Bearing this in mind, and the confusion in Sikh minds regarding the puropse of the celebration, I think it has now become a neccesity to start calling the festival Bani Choor as opposed to Diwali, as the latter has created certain misconceptions.

While the name change is not inherently important to those of us aware of the real significance of the celebration, it has nonetheless become a neccesity as many are uncertain of this significance.

At the very least, if the festival is reffered to as Bandi Choor among Sikh circles, at least it would push people to question what this name actually means, and who was released and why. In this amnner, the 'new' name for the festival can act as a tool for educating those of us unaware of the real significance of this day for us.

In an ideal world names would not matter, and the ideal behind the celebration would be of significance. We would all know why we were celebrating what we were celebrating. Sadly, this is not the case.

A couple of years ago, at work, I was asked why Sikhs celebrated Diwali despite not 'believing in' Rama and Sita etc. This did shock me, as until that time I was unaware that the knowledge of Bandi Choor Diwas was not infact common knowledge among Sikhs.

Bearing this in mind, and the confusion in Sikh minds regarding the puropse of the celebration, I think it has now become a neccesity to start calling the festival Bani Choor as opposed to Diwali, as the latter has created certain misconceptions.

While the name change is not inherently important to those of us aware of the real significance of the celebration, it has nonetheless become a neccesity as many are uncertain of this significance.

At the very least, if the festival is reffered to as Bandi Choor among Sikh circles, at least it would push people to question what this name actually means, and who was released and why. In this amnner, the 'new' name for the festival can act as a tool for educating those of us unaware of the real significance of this day for us.

93521[/snapback]

:)

Sat Sri Akal:

Rajputs have nothing to do with Sikhism. Once a Sikh has committed to Sikhism by means of Amrit, their past associations are mute and their allegiance is only to the Sikh faith and Gurmat. Gurmat does not support that a Sikh woman participate in Rakhri, as Rakhir is tied by women to their brothers as a plea to those brothers to protect them. Sikh women were given a Kirpan to protect themselves.

This topic has been done, so do a search and you will get a much more thorough answer.