Sangat condemn Sports Tournament

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Sangat condemn Guru Arjan Dev Ji Shaheedi Cultural & Sports Tournament (12 June 2005, Ilford, Essex)

Sri Guru Singh Sabha London East & other local establishments started this tournament about 25 years ago. The current state of affairs is that many local Gurdwaras & community groups have now boycotted the tournament because of law & order problems, excessive drinking, rowdy & violent behaviour by tournament participants. This year has the added bonus of having Bhangra & Giddha dancers and competitions.

Is this how Sikhs celebrate the sacrifice by Guru Arjan Dev Ji?

Did Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji commemorate his father’s Shaheedi in this way?

The simple solution is to remove Guru Arjan Dev Ji sacred name, the term Shaheedi (Martyrdom) and links to the Gurdwara from this Tournament.

A group of local Sikhs approached the committee of Sri Guru Singh Sabha London East on 30 April 05 with this request. They addressed the committee who made the following comments:

- Accepted all problems caused by this tournament

- Failed to see the concerns that the tournament was an abuse of Guru Ji’s name and the memory of the Shaheeds

- Bhangra/Giddha is part of the Sikh religion, they referred to Ranjit Nagara as a dancing instrument

- Due to the fact that the tournament is funded by “local businessmen” linked to the Gurdwara committee, it is justifiable pursue activities that are in stark contrast to the sacred principles of Guru Arjan Dev Ji and all Sikh Martyrs

- Drinking is a norm in the Sikh community and is acceptable in modern society

- Gurdwara facilities and Sangat offerings will be exploited to make food for the day. - This same “food” was termed Langar by Guru Ji and is sacred. This same “Langar” will be distributed alongside alcohol and meat on the day

- Local residents have demanded a stop to this tournament

- Vans full of alcohol can enter on the day

The refusal of the Committee to accept the abuse of Guru Ji’s name and their blatant attitude to dismiss the concerns of the local Sangat is highly concerning.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji gave his life to teach the value of Sacrifice for others. This tournament is proposed to be held on the 12 June. On the 16 June we will be sitting in Gurdwaras commemorating Guru Arjan Dev Ji’s Shaheedi. Will we be able to face Guru Arjan Dev Ji four days after letting this dishonour to Guru Ji’s name and principles take place?

We will be responsible for insulting the first Shaheed of the Sikh religion by allowing the tournament to be named after Guru Ji.

Guru Ji is present within the Sadh Sangat - a congregation of Sikhs

In the form of Sadh Sangat if you have any love for Guru Ji, we are appealing to you to attend the sports committee meeting on the 8 May 05 and demand that the name of the tournament be changed in order to ensure that the blood of our Shaheeds was NOT spilt in vain.

8 May 2005 – Barking Singh Sabha Gurdwara, 100 North Street, Barking, Essex at 2:30 pm to an open sports committee meeting.

Call us on 079 4444 5651

GurFateh!!

The Glory of Ikonkar cannot be reduced if people insult it, in the same way the glory of Ikonkar will not become more if people keep talking about it.

In the same way, the glory of the Gurus will never become less or greater by people's actions. The gurmukh wins, the manmukh loses it. The manmukh prefers the shell in place of the jewel.

Sat Sri Akal:

The glory of the Panj Pyare was not reduced with Baba Gurbachana Narakdhari insulted them nor was the glory of the Guru Granth Sahib's Gurbani lowered when Gurbachana put his foot on the Guru Granth Sahib.

There is something called dignity that Sikhs have to live with. Please read the claims made by the committee that organizes the events...the ignorant statements made there are alone to pass a Gurmatta against them.

Below is a posting from www.tapoban.org by Gurcharan Singh Kulim, MBA Phd:

I now live in Chigwell,well within the catchment area of the two Singh sabha Gurduaras, for the past four years.

This tournament is very much in the local news because of the activities mentioned and the refusal of many local amenity bodies to allow it to be held within their areas, after having experienced the rowdy behaviours displayed by the tournament participants leading to law and order problems, excessive drinking, rowdy & violent behaviour.Not to mention of the illegal and dangerous parking of cars and loud noises created.

To end it all, the hugh heaps of rubbish, bottles and cans of drinks littered around with no attempt by the organisers to clear it all up at the end of it.

There were also cases of drug abuse and empty needles found around the grounds.I know this for a FACT as I was called to monitor the situation al;ong with officers of the local police , on the last day as part of the law and order brief, and because of the languages I speak.

In fact, in the year 2001, the tournament was held near to Chigwell.the above is part of my observation from that event.

In fact that evening sometime after the event was supposed to have ended,I was driving back to Chigwell,from Seven Kings Singh Sabha Gurduara along the Forest Road, when a number "Sikhs"(mone)were causing a road hold up after having drunk to their eye balls.They were in the middle of the road, and dancing and sprawling themselves on the road.They were holding up two cars ahead of me, and were getting into an argument with the two white drivers, one with a family.

I had to get out of my car, despite my wife's insistence to not get involved and approached the men ,six in all, seeing me their attitue mellowed.I showed them my ID card, and asked them nicely not to be silly and cause unnecesary issues.

At which one of them said to me ..bha ji tuhanu, apne bande nu milke bahot khushi hoyii assin ethon hatt jaande haan tuhade kahe te.Ajj Guru an da sports da din si...at this point they had moved out of the road.the two other drivers thanked me, as I asked them to move on;one of them still pulled up his car ahead and waited until I had got back into my car.

However, before that, I interjected into the conversation of the guy ,,and asked him ..ki Guru an ne hi tuhanu ehni peen waaste keha si ...woh Vi guru Arjan Ji ne ???to which all of them were speechless...and nahi bha ji ..nahi bhaa ji ...eh galti assin kar lende haan... was his half muttered answer, I turned round and got back into my car, and drove on ..as I neared the other car,the driver wound his window and thanked me again, I had to say to him ...they were not Sikhs...just silly indians!

That weeks local newspapers carried headlines of rowdy behaviours and littering of the area aftyer this so called shaheedi tournament.

The local areas of the council are relectant to hold this event within their own areas,see the local papers in the last few weeks.

I totally endorse the gurSikhs view that this event is a disgrace not only to Sikhs but to the SIKH Gurus and particularly lowers the shahidee of Guru Arjan Ji.It should change its name or be stopped.

Use of the Gurduara facilities to support this event, is also an abuse of the sagataan da daan and sharda.I am surprised at the committee's attitude towards this ....shame shame on them.

Cyber Sangat Ji please show your support against this beadbi to the great memory of Guru Arjan Dev Ji & our Shaheeds.

GurFateh!!

This is disgusting. About 15 years ago I went to this event and I clearly remember parshaday (rotis from Langar) brought from the Gurdwara and pieces of kebab being put into them by some next mona who had bought a BBQ with him.

15 years on this event still takes place. And what is worse is that we seem to let it take place by boycotting the event and ignoring the issue. Boycotting's a waste of time. We need some solid Sangat action on this. The local papers have written about this event and it's embarrassing.

The sangat is Guruji's roop and we have a voice. We put the committees into the Gurdwara and we can take them down. This particular committee is very open about their drinking, it's embarrasing. And worse still we don't do anything about but accept is as a modern day norm in Sikh Gurdwaras. What was the point about standing outside the Rep theatre in Brum, if all the Behzti is going on in our Guru Ghars.

The Sports Committee meeting on 8 May is a platform to voice our outrage. If anyone lives local, I would suggest you make every effort to be their for GuruJi.

It's t

What are the names of the organizers & supporters and what are their financial interests? ie. what businesses do they have or have an investment in?

96847[/snapback]

Air India is one of them, they will have a stall and banners around the event. Another Stakeholder is the local "Labour" Councils, they are after brownie points with the elections around the corner. One of the Radio stations are also sponsering the event (not sure if it's Punjab Radio or Desi Radio)

The organisers are the Sports Committee of Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara London East.

The committee has become a "Gentlemen's" club where an exclusive group of Punjabi businessmen seem to have an interest in the Gurdwara committee. Members of the committee have a number of local business such as Off-Licence/Convenience Stores, Banqueting Halls and the usual Property interests.

The Gurdwara has very close links with the Indian Embassy and on Vasakhi day a few weeks ago the Indian Ambassador and his wife were invited to the Gurdwara and presented with a Siropa. They were served "Langar" in a "nicely" presented separate room on a large dinning table away from the Pangat.

There is something called dignity that Sikhs have to live with.  Please read the claims made by the committee that organizes the events...the ignorant statements made there are alone to pass a Gurmatta against them.

96824[/snapback]

Yes, although I didn't say that we are to live in indignity, I just stated what always there will be.

bhul chuk maaf

We need to stop these fools that are holding the event, get them to change the name.

The Sangat needs to support this more, if this was a topic on a Baba this would have got so many reply but once again a topic that needs support as no support. whats the point walking around acting as a sikh but not standing up for sikhi. Then most of the youth walking around wearing Guru Sahibs Bana then hide when you are needed.

We need support and we need singhs to turn up and show the gurdware managment that the local youths have support. If this was in your area I know for fact the the youths of East london will back you up. If you need help getting to East London then let myself know or GurSa Singh and we will do our best to help you out.

Be the next Bhai Fauja Singh ...........

Be the next Nihang Avtar Singh Bramha .............

But Stop hiding and stand up for Sikhi !!!!!!!!!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Barking Singh Sabha has transformed into a Congressi Establishment.

There was not a wall in this Gurughar that didnt have Sant Jarnail Singh Ji's pictures on. Now they have all been taken down and recently on Vasakhi the committee invited the Indian High Commissioner and his Indira Ghandi lookalike wife!

The High Commisioner will be attending the Farce Tournement. He’ll probably sit back on the day and think what Indira couldn’t achieve in the 80’s, corrupt committees and so called Sikhs are achieve – turning our backs on Guru Ji’s principles and sacrifices.

This Congressi Committee has no right to include the word Shaheedi their pathetic tournament.

Shaheedi & Congressi cannot be linked! It is an insult to the martyrs of 1984