Are Sikhs Hindus? (I nice reply)

Answered by Kirpal Singh Nijjer from Learning-Zone-Egroup:

Q1….we have heard sikhs are hindus .is it true??

Ans 1:  … No, it is not true that Sikhs are Hindus.

To understand this Answer, what one needs to do is to understand first, as to what is Hinduism?. … Despite the fact that it is very difficult to precisely describe as to what Hinduism is, given below are its major PILLARS;

…. 1) Concept of Avtarvadha: i.e. GOD TAKES BIRTH from time to time whenever the level of tyranny on the earth becomes unbearable.

….. 2) Concept of POLYTHEISM; i.e existence of multi god-heads; reaching a count of even  330,000,000. 

…. 3) Concept of TRINITY: i.e. Existence of Lord Brahama as the Creator, Lord Vishnu as Provider, & Lord Shiva as the Destroyer.

…. 4) IDOL Worship; i.e. God can be set up as an image

….. 5) Chatur-Varan - The CASTE SYSTEM; meaning Human beings are born UNEQUAL as Brahmins, Kashatryas, Vayshias, & Shudras.

…. 6) Chatur-Ashram; Four stages of Life: Renunciation being the last.

…. 7) Sanctity of Sanskrit Language as Dev-Bhasha, the language of gods, 

…. 8) Mazes of mechanical rituals prescribed for different activities of life.

….  9) Advocacy of a life of Brahamacharya (Celibacy), Yogi (renunciation), Jangam (Staying naked), etc.

…..10) Sacredness of the COW.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. "According to Prof. Jeaneane Fowler of the University of Wales College, Newport: “The relationship between the many manifest deities and the unmanifest Brahman is rather like that between the sun and its rays. We cannot experience the sun itself but we can experience its rays and the qualities, which those rays have. And, although the sun’s rays are many, ultimately, there is only one source, one sun. So the Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism amount to thousands, all representing the many aspects of Brahman”"

http://hinduism.about.com/cs/basics/a/aa072103a.htm

Why don't Hindus make mandirs dedicated to just Brahman then. If you know the source then why not go directly to it. If Hindus say Brahman is the source, then why pray to all the other Gods?

I'm sorry but I've noticed how these days people are trying to make Hinduism seem like a monotheistic religion when it is not.

"We cannot experience the sun itself but we can experience its rays and the qualities, which those rays have."

In Sikhi we can experience the "Sun" or source directly. Waaheguru is the source and that is why Sikhs worship the one supreme lord God. And this professor is forgetting that the Sun is actually a star that is burning gas and will eventually burnout wheareas God is eternal. This professor's explanation is very weak in my viewpoint. In sikhi all of mankind is a "ray of light" coming from the source, thus putting people right up there with their sacred gods. So basically this professor's explanation gives proof that Sikhs are not Hindus.

Why don't Hindus make mandirs dedicated to just Brahman then.  If you know the source then why not go directly to it.  If Hindus say Brahman is the source, then why pray to all the other Gods?

I'm sorry but I've noticed how these days people are trying to make Hinduism seem like a monotheistic religion when it is not.

"We cannot experience the sun itself but we can experience its rays and the qualities, which those rays have."

In Sikhi we can experience the "Sun" or source directly.  Waaheguru is the source and that is why Sikhs worship the one supreme lord God.  And this professor is forgetting that the Sun is actually a star that is burning gas and will eventually burnout wheareas God is eternal.  This professor's explanation is very weak in my viewpoint.  In sikhi all of mankind is a "ray of light" coming from the source, thus putting people right up there with their sacred gods.  So basically this professor's explanation gives proof that Sikhs are not Hindus.

Whilst all things may be the objects of worship, choice is naturally made of these objects which, by reason of their effect on the mind, are more fitted for it. An image or one of the useful emblems is likely to raise in the mind of the worshipper the thought of a Devata. Saligram stone induces easily concentration of mind. Everybody has got predilection for a symbol, emblem or image. Idol or Murti (Vigraha), sun, fire, water, Ganga, Saligram, Linga are all symbols or Pratikas of God which help the aspirants to attain one-pointedness of mind and purity of heart. These are personal inclinations in the worshipper due to his belief in their special efficacy for him. Psychologically, all this means that a particular mind finds that it works best in the direction desired by means of particular instruments or emblems or images.

The image of Vishnu and of his Avataras, and the images of Sakti and Siva are the popular idols that are worshipped both in temples and in the houses. The idols in the temples of Tirupati, Pandharpur, Palani, Kathirgama, etc., are powerful Deities. They are Pratyaksha Devatas. They grant boons to the devotees, cure their ailments and give Darshan. Wonderful Lilas are associated with these Deities. There is no polytheism in Hinduism. Siva, Vishnu, Brahma, Sakti are different aspects of the one Lord.

God reveals Himself to His devotees in a variety of ways. He assumes the very form which the devotee has chosen for his worship. If you worship Him as Lord Hari with four hands, He will come to you as Hari. If you adore Him as Siva, He will give you Darsan as Siva. If you worship Him as Mother Durga or Kali, He will come to you as Durga or Kali. If you worship Him as Lord Rama, Lord Krishna or Lord Dattatreya, He will come to you as Rama, Krishna or Dattatreya. If you worship Him as Christ or Allah, He will come to you as Christ or Allah.

You may worship Lord Siva or Lord Hari, Lord Ganesha or Lord Subramanya or Lord Dattatreya, or any one of the Avataras, Lord Rama or Lord Krishna, Sarasvati or Lakshmi, Gayatri or Kali, Durga or Chandi. All are aspects of one Isvara or Lord. Under whatever name and form, it is Isvara who is adored. Worship goes to the Indweller, the Lord in the form. It is ignorance to think that one form is superior to another. All forms are one and the same. Siva, Vishnu, Gayatri, Rama, Krishna, Devi, Brahman are one. All are adoring the same Isvara. The differences are only differences of names due to differences in the worshippers, but not in the object of adoration. It is only out of ignorance that different religionists and different sects fight and quarrel amongst themselves.

By

SRI SWAMI SIVANANDA

btw im not saying Sikhs are like Hindus. Just some info related to your posts.

Sat Sri Akal:

Pheena Ji, perhaps you would like to contrast the Swami Sahib's Katha with Bachitar Natak. Guru Sahib outlined that these dieties were indeed created by the Almighty, but they all abandoned the Almighty's worship and began their own paths. Those who themselves have gone astray...how can they lead others to the proper path?

Something there don't click.

Raag Kaliyan Paatshahi 10

Except Waheguru (God), do not accept anyone as the ruler and controller of the world.

The one who has been here from the beginning, the one who is away from births, the one who is matchless, and the one who cannot be destroyed, know that He is Waheguru (God).

So what if Krishna/Vishnu came here and killed about ten bad people?

Showing many hypocrisies and fooling everyone, he called himself God.

The one who kills and creates, how can He be described by counting?

If he (Krishna) was God then how come he couldn’t save himself from death?

Hey <banned word filter activated>, listen, how can that <banned word filter activated> get you across this world ocean (get you liberated) when he himself fell into the world ocean (died).

You can only be saved when you go to Waheguru (God).

Tilung Kaafi Paatshahi 10

Only Akaal (God) controls the universes.

He has been here since before the beginning and will be here forever. He is the one who creates everything and He is the one who kills/destroys everything. Pause

To Him slandering and praises are the same. He has no enemies or friends.

What was the reason then that He became the charioteer of Arjun?

God has no father, no mother, no son and no grandson.

Then why did He come to this world and called Himself as son of Daivkee?

God who created life, solar systems, soil, and rest of the elements in the universe

How can He be praised by comparing Him to a human such as Arjun or Krishna?

Raag Daivgandhari Paatshahi 10

Without the name of Waheguru (Shabad) of the True Lord, you cannot be saved.

Where are you going to run away from God who has everything under his control?

Raam and Mohammed and other prophets who you remember couldn’t describe God.

Brahmas, Vishnus, Shivji, Sun, Moon, etc. all die and reincarnate.

Vedas, Puraans, Kuran and other religious books can’t describe God.

Inders (Vishnu), Faninders (Shivji), Muninders (Brahma) tried to find God but couldn’t find the Lord Almighty.

The one who has no colour or physical appearance, how can He be called blue or black?

You can only get away from the cycles of birth and death when to cling to the feet of God.

Sat Sri Akal:

And, instead, I created gods and angels.

They, too, mustered considerable power and

glorification;

And, started assuming to be God themselves. (7)

Shiva started to call himself Immortal;

Vishnu also equated himself to the Creator;

Brahma called himself the Supreme, and

No one considered the Lord as the Lord. (8)

Then, I (Waheguru) created eight witnesses, the sun,

moon, fire, wind,

Yamma, element, axis and Dhruv,

To certify the existence of the Lord;

And ordered them to worship the Akaalpurakh, and

declared

That there was no one else worshippable. (9)

Those who didn’t, or couldn’t, recognize the Supreme;

Started calling themselves as the Ultimate.

Many started worshipping the Sun and the Moon,

And many accepted the powers of fire and the wind.

(10)

Some called the stone, the Saligram, the Waheguru;

Some, taking the baths regularly started calling the

water, the

Supreme.

Many got scared indulging in various forms of acts and

imitations,

But Dharamraaj recognized and accepted only the

Infinite. (ii)

When the Omnipotent could produce witnesses for His

cause;

When they came to this world, they would start calling

themselves the

Divinity;

The real meaning of the Immortal would be forgotten;

They all got worried about their own glory and

splendor. (12)

Bachittar Natak

http://www.lotusmedia.co.uk/sikhstudent/Do...ra%20Naatak.pdf

Bhairo Mehlaa 5.

varat na raha-o na mah ramdaanaa.

tis sayvee jo rakhai nidaanaa. ||1||

ayk gusaa-ee alhu mayraa.

hindoo turak duhaaN naybayraa. ||1|| rahaa-o

haj kaabai jaa-o na tirath poojaa.

ayko sayvee avar na doojaa. ||2||

poojaa kara-o na nivaaj gujaara-o.

ayk nirankaar lay ridai namaskaara-o. ||3||

naa ham hindoo na musalmaan.

alah raam kay pind paraan. ||4||

kaho kabeer ih kee-aa vakhaanaa.

gur peer mil khud khasam pachhaanaa. ||5||3||

Bhairao, Fifth Mehl: (Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji)

I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan.

I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1||

The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.

WaheGuru adminsters justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause||

I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines.

I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2||

I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.

I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship WaheGuru there. ||3||

I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.

My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. ||4||

O Kabeer, this is what I say:

meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher, I realize WaheGuru, my Lord and Master. ||5||3||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -Ang 1136

"There is no polytheism in Hinduism. Siva, Vishnu, Brahma, Sakti are different aspects of the one Lord."

This is self-contradicting. So Hindus believe that there is one Lord, but worship different deities which are "aspects" of the one lord. If you revere one God, why not worship him completely, all aspects, so why not respect all deities, so one covers all the "aspects" of God. When a mandir has a statute of Shiva only then basically they are ignoring the other 329,000,000 deities or "aspects" of God. The hindu religion is the very definition of polytheism. When one looks at Hinduism as a monotheistic religion, their beliefs totally do not back their claim.

Why do their "aspects" of God fight over wives and other wordly things in their scriptures? Our Guru sahib lost his four sons and did not go crazy, so I guess our Guru sahib was above the Hindu deities, which according to the swami are "aspects" of God.