marrying sumone of a differant religion

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to rehat, amritdharis may only marry amritdharis

99794[/snapback]

According to rehat, u can marry anyone, BUT In order to sleep or make physical contact they have to be Amritdhari.

99801[/snapback]

Kumi Singh Ji...where does it say that in rehat?...according to Rehat ". A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh"

according to rehat, amritdharis may only marry amritdharis

99794[/snapback]

According to rehat, u can marry anyone, BUT In order to sleep or make physical contact they have to be Amritdhari.

99801[/snapback]

Kumi Singh Ji...where does it say that in rehat?...according to Rehat ". A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh"

99846[/snapback]

I dont know which rehat but Im sure that someone told me, they said to me, 'I'll let you marry who you want but once two are marryed she will have to take amrit', not his exact words but they wouldnt be suitable for this forum.

I've seen too many people I know marry outside their religions and some to goray and kalay and they all miss their own communities. They hurt now because their children have no religion in their lives, because they are confused about who they are where they come from where they belong. Funny that they didn't think about that before their 'love' allowed them to leave their families and marry outside.

99810[/snapback]

You speak very intelligently. I don't want to pick on your post, but I want young sikhs to start thinking like sikhs.....I am going to point out that we should refrain from using blanket terms like goray and kalay. Regardless of what the majority may be or may not be, these are not appropriate for sikhs to use in describing religous association or making negative associations with races. This promotes the idea that goray or kalaay are not sikh or for those who are, less sikh.

Most resident punjabi's who claim sikhi are not only not sikh, but they are ANTI-SIKH. And there are many "goray" and "kalay" who are more Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sons and daughters than many of us.

Lets face it we learned about terms such as goray and kalaay to describe outsiders while we inherited racist schemas from our parents. These days I find the outsiders to be the punjabi's and the sangat to be much more of a global sangat.

From a logical perspective, why marry someone who does not follow the same belief?

If a sikh marries a muslim for instance, how will they get on? When its a muslims duty to reach heaven by converting people to emrace Islam?

A christian believes the wine given in communion is the blood of Jesus, we dont drink!

Buddist believe in peace and non violence, yet Sikhs believe in standing up for justice and lifting the sword when all other means fail.

Hindus believe in multiple gods, Sikhs Believe in One.

Doesnt seem Logical to marry out of you own religion..

And from a Sikhi Perspective, im sure the rehat i was given said, Marry Amritdhari and since Bani says it, too, must be a reason for it!!!

Ie.. If a girl marries away from Sikhi, and loses faith because of it, we dnt lose just one Sikh, We lose generations!! Since its the woman who carries the child..

Apologies if have offended anyone or made any mistakes, just sometimes it is useful to look at these in the logical sense...

WJKK WJKF

I am going to point out that we should refrain from using blanket terms like goray and kalay. Regardless of what the majority may be or may not be, these are not appropriate for sikhs to use in describing religous association or making negative associations with races. This promotes the idea that goray or kalaay are not sikh or for those who are, less sikh.

99849[/snapback]

BuddaSingh you are completely right, I used the terms goray and kalay very loosely and should've been more clear about what I was saying as i do know a few Sikhs who are not "brown" and were not born into Sikhi.

I also did not mean to sound like I was saying anything negative against these races. It is not the non-Sikhs fault that the Sikh chose to marry them. I simply meant that many people marrying non-Sikhs have found it difficult to integrate with their own communities and to teach their children Sikhi due to both cultural and religious differences of the parents.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Guru Fateh Ji

i have seen alot of interracial marriages espicially with sikhs girls with muslims etc and they dont last long at and have alot of conflicts....i think we got a real problem with ours gals marrying to ppl outside sikhi, it hurts i dont know why...dont know if this is true (can someone plz shed some light on this) a elder once said to me if a sikh gal follows sikhi her next three (or however many) generations to come will follow sikhi aswell? is this true or partly true? grin.gif