Why Arent We Allowed to listen to music

`KuMi´

just curious but what about kirtan with different instramentals... take away the tabla, the harmonium and whatever else.. this time add a scratch, some bass... is that wrong?! You are still singing hyms just diff background music...

also u hear of immortal productions.. i love their cds!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atleast Kumi's not hailing the next Sant or babba as a living guru for guidance.

100395[/snapback]

well how do u no,

just curious but what about kirtan with different instramentals... take away the tabla, the  harmonium and whatever else.. this time add a scratch, some bass... is that wrong?! You are still singing hyms just diff background music...

also u hear of immortal productions.. i love their cds!

100496[/snapback]

there not gurbani they pout there back ground musik to, its called

k-washy (lol) what they do, neva put other background music to gurbani soo chup endd offf

dude, the language is horrible, and the message isn't much better. You're wasting your time if you think this guy can create lyrics even nowhere close to kirtan.

100339[/snapback]

lol, never said lyrics were close to kirtan.

some people find other things motivational too.

Seriously, theres bigger problems out there than a few dirty lyrics in a positive rap message.

Atleast Kumi's not hailing the next Sant or babba as a living guru for guidance.

Enjoy listening to other music and other cultures, just try to keep the message positive.

100395[/snapback]

Natsilahk

Thanks for the lyrics above. There is a lot of *^&% out there, but I can endure and understand a swear word in the context of art and culture. Those lyrics are more liberating than any opressive maintain the status quo corporate elevator music. More liberating in fact than many things you learn in formal education.

We don't have to compare everything to kirtan to appreciate it. I have virtually no respect for bhangra, little respect for most else out there. However, it would be a mistake to write off the richness of art whether it is poetry outside of gurbani, music outside of kirtan, etc.

I don't know where al this nonsense about not listening to that and this is coming from...........

What you have to be aware is control....we all have lust, anger, attachment, greed, egotism...........but it is control of these we strive for...........NOT eradication........

For example........the flip side of lust is love.... the flip side of anger is determination.......the flip side of egotism is self esteem...........

SO CONTROL AND DISCERNMENT IS REQUIRED

When listening to music this same control and discernment is required..............so listen to all and make a judgement as to whats good for you and whats bad for you.........

I persoanlly think most rap is crap (like any music)...........and the hey days of Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five have gone................even Ezy-E and NWA had some pretty good messages................

..........and all this rubbish about the angel of death is just rubbish................Sikhs do not believe in heaven or hell (for the Sikh these coexist side by side and can go one way or the other depending on whether you wish to assert your will or Gods will)................you will be judged here and now by your deeds and actions............

....so use your common sense......and exercise judgement.......

well, from my own experiences: i used to listen to bhangra/ pop music all the time....then one day my mom pooped in a cd of bhai harjinder singh ji (srinagar wale)....and i was enchanted on how deep gurbani was compared to the rubbish in the songs (now everybody knows why i am obsessed with b.h.s. ji's kirtan).......anywayz....after tht my taste started changing and so did my mind....no more emotional outbursts....i can control my mind a little more now........

i took a hammer and crushed many of my cds...every one i found...i have felt so much more purity in me since then

well, from my own experiences:  i used to listen to bhangra/ pop music all the time....then one day my mom pooped in a cd of bhai harjinder singh ji (srinagar wale)....and i was enchanted on how deep gurbani was compared to the rubbish in the songs (now everybody knows why i am obsessed with b.h.s. ji's kirtan).......anywayz....after tht my taste started changing and so did my mind....no more emotional outbursts....i can control my mind a little more now........

i took a hammer and crushed many of my cds...every one i found...i have felt so much more purity in me since then

100649[/snapback]

Exactly bhain ji, u r very right. Even I started my "listening only kirtan" thing from Bhai harjinder Singh ji's kirtan. The first track which caught my attention was "nindo nindo"and then "jeon jeon nama".

Guest Faujan

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I find it hard to believe that people feel the need to turn to rappers and their productions for inspiration and motivation, for a small shove onto the right path, when we have the biggest motivation, the most inspirational being right in front of us, living inside of us, entering this world, our minds and bodies, hearts and souls, through each and every single breath, with every single thought, with ease and flow, and serenity, with the beauty of the loveliest music, the passion of the strongest rap, the loving embrace of the sweetest Kirtan. When Waheguru Ji has blessed us with all we would ever need right there, in the form of our Beloved Guru Ji, with the knowledge of the three worlds and beyond, with guidance that no therapist, psychologist, or motivational speaker could ever give you, why should we feel the need to turn to rap, or bhangra, or anything else, no matter how inspirational the message might be. Especially when the music contains inappropriate words. Is there like, a rap rulebook somewhere, that says you have to curse in your songs in order for them to make it as publically accepted rap music? Or you won't be called a rapper unless you cuss? Crazy! It's not impossible to be motivational without cursing. You want a great example of inspiration without cursing? Without even any music? You want something that'll make you grateful for what you have, without having to endure profanity and useless images of lust and violence?

Then try this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness:Num. 1

And this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness: #2

And this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness: #3

And this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, and Gratefulness: #4

And this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness: #5 For this one, I request that you please scroll down a bit, and look at the one labeled Tuesday, April 19, 2005 "Feeling Disgusted...".

And this: Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness: #6

And this:Source of Awe, Inspiration, Guidance, and Gratefulness: #7

And these are only a few examples, there are even stronger examples out there. Try this:

Ik Oankaar Satnaam Karta Purakh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Murat Ajuni Saibhang Gur Prasaad Jap Aad Sach Jugaad Sach Hai Bhi Sach Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach.

Why hang onto your rap music full of profanity, the singer delivering a message he has nothing to do with, instilling in the minds of youth and others ideas that lust, profanity, intoxication, violence are tolerable, acceptable, even seen as something good? Turn to BAANI, to GURU JI. Nothing better than Him............nothing.

murakh di bhull chukk di khimma bakshni Jiyo

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!