y are sikh parents strict on relationships

Satsriakaal :TH:

i think having a boyfriend or girlfreind in a relationship is ok at a certain age which is 16+.my parents are soo strict with having relationship, even if i talk about having a boyfriend they tell me to shut up lol (obviously i havent got one).

i decided to ask about this because me and my cousin kimmy are rreeally close and a couple of months ago it was her brovaz wedding in india and a day b4 the wedding she told me she was with sumone and its serious and they dnt think they will brake up i was so happy for her. shes 18 shes an adult she dnt drink or smoke or go to clubs wat more can her parents ask for, her parents and his parents new, she told me not to tell anyone. when we got bak from india her mom told the family she was in a relationship and now everyone thinks differant of her, and my dad gets angry if i go to her house because he thinks if i go sumwere with her boyfriend will come. whats so wrong if he comes anyway, he is such a nice guy and everones judged him b4 they even no him i think that ashame because they cud at least give him a chance. anyway kims parents and his parents are cool with it so i dnt understand everone elses problem.

i think that is out of order, people shudnt judge a book by its cover. i think theres nothin rong with having a b/f especially at 18.

soz to go on abit lol

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, i'm 24 years old now and let me tell you from experience, when your 16,17, 18, 19, 20, etc, you are not as mature as you think you are. When I was 16 I thought I knew more than my parents. When I was 18, I thought I knew more than everyone in the world. My parents suspected I had a Gf at age 16 and when they asked me things related to that I would get upset and start fighting with them , well it turns out the only reason I fought with them is because they were right and I wanted to hide everything I was doing. Being in a"relationship" may seem harmless at your age now, but trust me when you get a little older you will realize that you should have developed a relationship with waaheguru first.

I'm telling you from experience.

peace.

That whole bf + gf causes more pangeh then anything else. I see it go on everyday and the effects of only a very very few relationships are actually serious. But nowdays things are mash-up, dont know if someone really does like you for who, you are or what you got or can do (sounds complicated but think about it). I think that if things are serious between a girl and boy then yeah its all good, but I aint getting into that stuff becuase I say to me sis you aint allowed a b/f until I think okay and if I go around doing it that contradicting myself. COMPLEXO PROBLEM PEOPLE. I got 99 problems but a "____" aint one. wacko.gif

hi, i'm 24 years old now and let me tell you from experience, when your 16,17, 18, 19, 20, etc, you are not as mature as you think you are.  When I was 16 I thought I knew more than my parents.  When I was 18, I thought I knew more than everyone in the world.  My parents suspected I had a Gf at age 16 and when they asked me things related to that I would get upset and start fighting with them , well it turns out the only reason I fought with them is because they were right and I wanted to hide everything I was doing.  Being in  a"relationship" may seem harmless at your age now, but trust me when you get a little older you will realize that you should have developed a relationship with waaheguru first.

I'm telling you from experience. 

peace.

105330[/snapback]

well said,

If you disagree with a five year old, in their mind they are absolutely right. At 10 they realize how little they knew at 5 and think they know it all at 10, at 12 they realize how little they knew at 10 and think they know it all at 12 .... etc. all the way to …if you ask an 18 year old something...

Today I still have to fight the traps that my society wants me to feel are important to me. I try to reflect on what I will think is important in life when I am near death.

The risks I took at ages 16 to early 20s not necessarily related to dating but in general were not wise. I am lucky to be alive and healthy. So much unnecessary pain, death and harm is done when young people with innocent intentions want to be adults but don’t quite realize what it means to be an adult.

vgjkk vgjkfateh

well i remeber when my brother had a g/f...and all the fmaily knew..(nothing proper)...they were like oh its ok ...cus hes a boi he can have a g/f

but they go to the girls youre not allowed to have a b/f!!! i was like wth!!

i dnt want a b/f at the end of the day...i have vaheguru ji and thats all i need!!..

....but parents are so sexist when it comes to girls and boys having g/f or b/f!!

they always think it leads 2 1 thing.... s e x. i min in a way they kinda right. coz it all DUS lead 2 it 1 way or another.. its just i learnt it ina stupid way (n YEs i AM a <admin-profanity filter activated> lol) well, im not actin lyk a typical parent or so n so, but yh wot ur parents want is the right thing. n abt the sexist issue...

well u can say nature is "sexist" coz a man can ra pe a woman but NOT vice versa. same way, its the gal dat gets the daag yeh..? maybe im just rong grin.gif