Sikhism/chrisitanity

tkkookar

i m soo confused .. when i came to know about other religion sepecially christianity .. they said same thing .. love god .. god is with you .. do good .. so what was the purpose of guru ji to come .. with guru ji's kirpa he gave me daat of amrit .. and now .. i feel that i dunno anything about my religion .. and i m wearning his bana .. and ashamed of myself :):(:doh: what should i do .. i don't want to take this bana off .. what should i do ..

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with you Harmeet but Budhism does not believe in a God per say so yeah they believe in conquering the mind but it isn't to become one with God as in Sikhi. The means may be similar but the end is different.

raju i'm sorry bro but i honestly do believe a man who offers himself for sacrifice is greater than a man who is forced to sacrifice himslef. Our Guru sahibs excepted God's will whereas jesus was confused as to why God had brought this suffering upon him...

and yeah the belief of God and so forth and love thy neighbor is all good but if you look at the core of christianity it is just like Islam, day of judgement you betta be on their side if you don't want to fell the wrath of God...in Sikhi we don't believe in this stuff don't get caught up in all the love stuff Christians talk about when you really sit down with them it basically comes down to believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and savior and you will be saved otherwise fire and brimstone. Islam basically says the same thing except switch Jesus with Mohammad and he is the last prophet and they will never say that our Gurus received the word of God so don't even bother..

"i honestly do believe a man who offers himself for sacrifice is greater than a man who is forced to sacrifice himslef."

bro that is what YOU believe. Christians see it differently. Jesus knew the entire time that one of his followers was going to double-cross him, he knew very well that the time of his end was near yet he did not take any steps to prevent the eventuality. Christ carried the cross willingly and was crucified willingly as well, but when he lay on the cross Christ found his spirit departing him, he found the pain too much to bear. You don't die instantly on the cross and that is when he asked God to redeem his suffering by giving him death instantly and thus getting rid of his suffering. You have to see it in that perspective.

And you DO NOT have to listen to what American evangelists spout on 24 hour christian channels, that is like an industry and very little to do with faith. Also the Americans talk a lot but when it comes down to it they do a lot of crap in other countries so obviously they do not walk the talk. You do not have to convert to Christianity to be a good Christian, just be the good samaritan who helps others and follow the 10 commandments and you can be a good Christian. At least that is what I believe w/e other people might say.

Believe in whatever religion you want, because every true religion is just a means to get closer with God but if it instead makes you a narrow minded and a closed individual then I believe you are worse off for it. Religion is just a means and a guide but the hard work has to be done by the individual concerned.

A common problem that I find with people whether they be Islamic, Christian, Sikh or Hindu or w/e is that once they get obsessed with religion then they soon become narrow-minded and fanatical and that is actually the farthest distance you could get from God. Nowadays this is especially true of Islamic societies which are becoming increasingly religion-obsessed and fanatical and thereby they are also losing the plot.

Yasmin,

There are like three or four 24 hour christian channels here in the states and you will see where these thoughts are coming from.  Also I have several christian friends who read the bible daily an dlive by it and they always say hey man on judgement day only jesus Christ is gonna save you....

112886[/snapback]

mann_kaum_layee_qurbaan, I have no doubt you are probably right, I was not implying that everything being said here is wrong!! I'm not one to know whether everything being said here is right or not lol I just wanted to make the point that when talking about any religion, even our own we make sure what we say is correct so as not to cause confusion or to unfairly link a practice with a religion which isn't really there.

"bro that is what YOU believe. Christians see it differently. Jesus knew the entire time that one of his followers was going to double-cross him, he knew very well that the time of his end was near yet he did not take any steps to prevent the eventuality. Christ carried the cross willingly and was crucified willingly as well, but when he lay on the cross Christ found his spirit departing him, he found the pain too much to bear. You don't die instantly on the cross and that is when he asked God to redeem his suffering by giving him death instantly and thus getting rid of his suffering. You have to see it in that perspective. "

a man of God endures whatever is in God's will..

Guru Arjun Dev Ji sat on a tati Tawi and did not say the pain was too much Sikhs were boiled alive and did not say the pain was too much...i"m sorry man again i don't think you hav eread sikhs history and present events, while christians talk about the suffering of christ we sikhs can tell you of thousands of sikhs who offered themselves for death because God's will was sweet for them...

anyways have a read that ikonkar posted.

shaheed brother,

yes that is true but ignoring the esistence of Akaal is a massive no no in sikhi...for us conquering the mind is to discover the divine spark of God within ourselves..without that divinity to discover what is the point of conquering the mind? Our whole purpose is to unite with Akaal.