Should Sikhs Apply Body Perfumes/colognes?

Harmeet Singh

Should a Sikh apply pefumes/colognes.body sprays on his body?

While most of them do contain alcohol i was just wondering why do we apply it? Just to look better , to smell good, isnt it ego then?

I do not need any image, or incense, or perfume, or lamps; through and through, He is blossoming forth, with me, life and limb.

Ang 822, Line 5 -- Guru Arjan Dev

False are the fine clothes, perfumes and clever tricks; false are the foods and drinks. ||1||

Ang 1215, Line 16 -- Guru Arjan Dev

I know people would say Gurbani is just saying we should not get obsessed with smells as we also use soaps.

But still you think sikhs should flap body sprays on them just to smell "good"?

the natural thing should be when our body smells it means we are probabaly dirty or our clothes are, we wash them with soaps and detergents ofcourse they do have nice fragnances, if that is so shouldn't we not apply colognes becasue otherwise how would we know(as we wont have body odor due to colognes and deodrants) now is the time to get clean?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If we dont use anything...our body will begin to smell its natural..but because we live in stressful times and eat the wrong foods...it means our odor is prolly worse than it should be.

I would agree that we can use something to make the scent nicer, but sumone commented because the smell would be affecting others....thats true but i would disagree with using aerosol spray cans (body spray) because these damage the ozone layer and add to global warming..that IS going against Gurbani, we can use roll ons or talc..these are prolly the best options for those around us and the planet. :TH:

alcohol is not bad as it is.....its the use of alcohol for getting high which is wrong. Nuthing is bad in this world but its the use of that thing for wrong purposes which make it wrong.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,

Waheguru ji ki fateh.

Be inspired and inspire others to chant God's name.

125206[/snapback]

:) :TH: very well put veerjee

The perfume that muslims use called 'itr' or somethin doesn't contain any alcohol. It is made completely out of flowers, incense and herbs. But you won't find a lot of range in those. There is basically a choice of just about a few perfumes for summer and a few for winter.

baahahahahahaha

LOL.gif

sorry .. today my sis was just telling me how much i stink after playing a good hour of hockey .. wearing all that stinky equipment .. bahahaaha .. i think she almost fainted in the car when i went to go pick her up ...

baahahaahahaha .. u NEEEEED cologne/deoderant .. ANYTHING .. that will help keep ur smell away ..

and no .. its not ego .. its just another thing that goes along wit clothing.. why dont we just not wear anything .. :) @

or lets not wear any deoderant.. let me give all u advice.. EVERYONEEEE smells under their armpits .. EVERYONEEEE !! .. if u dont then your not doing as much physical activity that you should be as a singh :e: .... u cant just take like 9-10 showers a day.. lol ..

baahahahahahahahahahaah .. LOL.gif

If you eat the typical 'masaledaar' food that most Indians luv then u definitely gonna smell, in your armpits and God alone knows where else.

Avoid eating stuff or ingrediants like eggs, garlic, onion, cheese, sea-food, red meat etc and ya will soon find that just a shower shall suffice and a deo will be no more an absolute necessity.