Guest Surrender

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol haha

or maybe its cos they dont think that they are worthy of wearing one

131530[/snapback]

ye well then u cud say ur not worthy of wearing bana as well so jus wear english clothes, or youre not worthy of waking up at amrit vela so wake up late. we arent worthy of anything but if guru ji blesses us with the chance to follow rehit we should take it gratefully

131655[/snapback]

What I was sayiing was that wearing a dastar means u should in my opinion, act like sikh as much as u can and set an example to ppl.

Wearing a turban shows who u r so if u r going to wear it then try to become worthy of it.

Bana, same applies, one should wear it, certainly wear bana, but then do not forget what u r.

Amrit vela, please dont give such examples because whether or not I keep my Amrit vela will not be the reason for someone to judge me and my actions when I'n wadering around the High Street.

To be honest I try not to make a show of what or who I am, if I want to pray more than others I will keep it gupt, if I want to pray less I will still not go around telling everyone, I will just get on with my sikhi as best as I can and if one thinks they are can set an example and not put their sikhi down in the eyes of others then safe hunna.

I'm talking generally abt ppl though, I'm giving reasons for why and I am not saying they are right lol there is a BIG difference

Guest an eye 4 an eye n da world wud b

no offence but wearing a dastaar is a very masculine statement. Sikh women only wore them in times of war, so that they looked like men on the battlefield. during day to day life a woman should look feminin for their husband, and not try to act or dress like him.

I personally know girls that wear a dastaar and they are more into "sato" type mya than any of the punjabi girls i know. The girls with a dastaar are probably more soft, to the extent that they will not stand up what they truly believe in. On numerous occasions i have seen that these girls/women are less hurt or affected by the problems sikhs face, than punjabi girls.

"Women have their place in society, so why do they always try to encroach upon their male counterparts" Edward Standsfield 1902

And yes i do understand what Gurbani says about women, but it does not say they should try to be like men.

Sorry if i offended anyone, this is only my opinion, and i do not intend to affect anyones sikhi by making these comments.

WJKWJF

Women have been covering their hair with Chuni, and so do not use Dastaar.

Since Guru Nanak Devji's time, Sikhs have been wearing Dastaars, but women mostly wore Chunni to cover their heads.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji also did not give any Hukum to the women, to wear Dastaar.

Men fought wars, and needed the Dastaar to protect their hair and head. Women in wars also wore dastaars.

The MAIN purpose of the dastaar is to cover the hair, which is being done by the Chunni for women and dastaar for Men. If we need to create a reason for the women to wear Dastaar, Guru Nanak Devji put it perfectly, "Give me that string that will be of truth and dont break, !")

Lets not lower the dastaar to a mere body covering, and wear it because "We dont look Sikh without a Dastaar !, If it was good enough for the Guru's, why is it not good for us !!!! :lol:

Prithipal Singh

Fateh Ji!

It's almost funny reading these posts...I think sanghat should start meditating on what they post before posting....silly silly

How are men roles different from woman roles in Sikhi?

I don't remember Guru Gobind Singh Ji saying Men only wear daastars, and woman wear chunnis. That contradicts so much, there is really no justifications. Anyways waheguru to those woman who have the strenght and are blessed with wearing a daastar. May you be humble~* and inspire others.

Sat Nam---

someone said something interesting...that we need to be distinguished as possible..thus wear a keski...

my question is...what's more important?.the distinguished look or the distinguished jeevan?...

i know girls who are amritdhari (just don't wear a keski) who keep a rehit soo strict, that would make most other people feel like crap....i know i'm always humbled when i meet them...

one of the MOST spiritual GURMUKHS i've ever met in my life was a woman who didn't wear a keski...yet by doing sangat with her, i myself as well as others were inspired to walk the path of gursikhi...

whether someone wears a keski or not, is not of importance...i mean...i support girls who wear keskis...and i support those who don't...the rehit doens't require it (the panthic rehit..not talking about individual groups) if some people believe it's a must...then by all means wear one...but DO NOT look down on those who don't wear one...that's just egotistical and stupid...i konw some groups don't allow girls without keski to do kirtan...which is pretty lame...cuz if they are amrithdhari and are adhering to teh rehit as outlined by akal takt..then they should be granted that seva as well....

but more than keski wearing or not, we should all focus on SIMRAN, NITNEM, SEVA, Sangat...

as bhai vir singh ji used to repeat time and time again in his books...sikhi is about : naam japna, Kirat karni, Vand Chaknaa

i'm an avid reader of books by bhai vir singh ji, prof puran singh ji, bhai jaswant singh ji (bauji)...bhai sher singh ji, bhai raghbir singh ji...none of these gurmukhs talk about keski or not....so it must not be such a big issue as we all make it to be...

what a stupid post...

and where can u reference ur facts about "women only wearin dastars in wars so they can look like men"...

and excuse me... "women have their place in society"?....

and... "during day to day life a woman should look feminin for their husband"....

wow.. do u know ANYTHING about sikhi?

131845[/snapback]

obviously not no.gif

you should learn more about equality in sikhism...

we have it to the fullest

dont question it