Importance Of Diva

WGJKKWGJKF

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I was wondering what the importance of Diva in Sikhi.

And is there any quote in Gurbani to say so.

And bowing to the Diva isnt that against Sikhi?

139934[/snapback]

First thing first

WE SHOULD NOT BOW TO DIVA/CANDLE,etc

and the stuff that Shaheed spirits will come,

well with all the due respect but Its crap.

Nevertheless, these Divas/jyoth esp of Harmandir sahib has Historical significance.

In the times when Sikhs used to live in Jungles and the control of Gurudwaras was under Fanatic Muslim rulers then the Sikhs used to go to Harmandir Sahib to light the Diva in Harmandir Sahib. Many Sikhs got Shaheed in the process but everyday some Sikhs used to manage to light the Diva in Harmandir Sahib.

But it doesn't mean we should bow to Diva.

To me it only reminds of the Great sacrifices made by Sikhs in those Harsh times.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni

WJKK

WJKF

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

"i read somewhere it attracts saheed singhs, especially if you light it during amritvela doing the 5 banis, shaheed singhs will come and do paath with you"

For a Sikh, the Guru is always with them...you are never alone. Would Shaheed Singhs come for the light or the Gurbani? To a Sikh, the Diva is Gurbani towards which all sould hover towards like a moth does towards a light.

Without getting involved in any debates, i would just advise that we dont use terms like 'crap'.

You gave the story singh ji, but never told us why the need to die just to keep a simple flame burning? What was so special about it?

Sometimes as youngsters we get hot headed and without the understanding or experience we launch into attacks on things. The minimu reason for keeping a jyoth is for purposes of light. Discussions beyond that depend on your spiritual avastha.

As one singh said many experiences with shaheed singhs in fact many spiritual experiences in general go by unheard by the masses as unfortunetly most of us will laugh and say what a load of rubbish. and rather than have the experience trashed in this way, many gursikhs will just keep quiet.

Sad really, we loose out so much due to our lack of faith and willingness to learn.

why do they light it PERIOD??????

I mean the candle thing,

the clay lamps.

Coz we got one. N i dont undertand why we light it.

140470[/snapback]

I've never cum across this be4 that people do bow to candles/diva wacko.gif:@

There is No Connection between Gurmat and Lighting up a Deeva as a religious practice.

Deeva was used as one of the ingredients in Aarti done by Hindus in Mandirs. Guru Nanak Sahib banished that ritual all together and said that HIS aarti was always being performed by the Kudrat itself and that the worldly aarti had no significance. He said Sun and moon are the Divas lit by Kudrat.

Lighting Divas during Akhand Paath is also Manmat. It was lit during old days when there was no electricity and even there was, it was not regular. So to avoid any intruption in the Gurbani recital, they used to lit a Big Deeva or Jyot nearby thu out which will act as a Light. But as in those days, the Granthis and Paathis were not learned enough, this became a regular practice although it has no significance. People started giving more attention to Deeva instead of Listening to Paath.

It is pure Manmat and we shud try spreading knowledge so that more poeple come to know abt it and this practice can be put to an end.

As Guru ji says:

dIvw blY AMDyrw jwie ]

dheevaa balai a(n)dhhaeraa jaae ||

When the lamp is lit, the darkness is dispelled;

But wot is the real Deeva for a sikh? Guru Ji explains:

dIvw myrw eyku nwmu duKu ivic pwieAw qylu ]

dheevaa maeraa eaek naam dhukh vich paaeiaa thael ||

The One Name is my lamp; I have put the oil of suffering into it.

So spread the Knowledge of this great Deeva NAAM as without this deeva, and without this knowledge u cannot have the understanding of various topics

dIvw blY n soJI pwie ]1]

dheevaa balai n sojhee paae ||1||

The lamp of knowledge is not burning, and understanding is not obtained. ||1||

Hmm purely on a non spiritual/debating basis ... have i ever experienced a power failure in punjab ... yes!

Have i ever experienced a power failure in the UK .. yes!!

Can electricity fail.. yes!

Hence is it a good idea to have a constant source of light such as a diva which can be very easily kept alight just in case ... i would say yes! Opossed to having guru ji sit in darkness id rather have a diva!

Dive may hve been used in mandirs, but it was also used in guru jis house as a light source, or do we think guru ji had electricity then as well?

Take it easy guys, dont the baby out with the bathwater. Live and learn a little, try asking some of the singhs in punjab about this and see what they have to say.

Perhaps also read some of sant gurbachan singh ji writings.