Lohri

WGJKKWGJKF

lol, im surprised no-one has answered the question

lohri

well let us say why we celebrate it

hindus firstly believe that this was the day that the father of prahlad (who was king of the world) tried to kill his son, bhaghat prahlad

"har jug jug bhagat upaia, bhej rakhada aia ramraje harnaksh dusht har maria prahlad taaria"

the story goes that he tried to kill his son in many ways, he tried to get his son to sit on some sort of log of fire, with his prahlads sister or the kings wife to sit on it. not sure what her name was. but she did alot of paath, she felt guilty and prayed to god, asking that her boon that she wouldnt die would be given to her son or brother or whatever he was to her.

in the end, she died, and prahlad didnt.

i think thats the story

lohri has its roots in sikhi also, the day the chaali muktai were forgiven by guru ji himself. basically, a group of singhs that chickened out in a battle alongside guru ji and hence declared he was not their guru. mai bhago rounded them up, made them feel ashamed of themselves and went into battle and killed many moghuls that they managed to ambush. as they all were dead or dying, a message came to guru ji that the deserters had fought for guru ji, who quickly rushed to see what happened. the head of the 40 muktai (whose name i cannot remember) originally was the one who said he did not want to be in the gurus army and hence guru govind singh ji was no longer his guru, 40 others agreed. guru ji asked this sngh for any last requests, in which this singh asked to be pardoned, guru ji who had always kept this letter with him at all times ripped this letter apart and hence the singh went to akal purakh.

hence the story of the forty libereated ones now stands at gurdwara mukatsar sahib.

now lohri is more of a culteral thing, its about celebrating how you have had a boy, and you do some punjabi dance, go round a fire eat peanuts and kids go round peoples houses...

for indian kids, lohri is like trick or treat, you better give them something or else! LOL.gif

its sad to see newspapers like the sikh times actually making out this is apart of sikhi as they mix culture with religion, especially that their headmast says "sikh" on it.

the lohri that we see has no significance as it is a hindu tradition...however lohri does have historical reference.

although, the praatan calander states lohri is actually tommorrow.

so bikrami says it was on the 12th, nanakshahi says 13th and praatan says 14th.

bhul chukke muaff

i just came in from a Lohri celebration i was forced to attend as it was in close family :)

Even without considering the story behind Lohri you can kind of sus out its a punjabi thing not sikhi

And its its sexist!!! :@ <_< celebrate birth of a boy why dont you and dont bother with girls!!!

i just came in from a Lohri celebration i was forced to attend as it was in close family  :)

Even without considering the story behind Lohri you can kind of sus out its a punjabi thing not sikhi

And its its sexist!!! :@   <_<   celebrate birth of a boy why dont you and dont bother with girls!!!

146658[/snapback]

my whole fam is away at a party......yea its totally wrong about the boy/girl thing, i think women make a bigger deal outta it sometimes (old women)

ol, im surprised no-one has answered the question

lohri

well let us say why we celebrate it

hindus firstly believe that this was the day that the father of prahlad (who was king of the world) tried to kill his son, bhaghat prahlad

"har jug jug bhagat upaia, bhej rakhada aia ramraje harnaksh dusht har maria prahlad taaria"

the story goes that he tried to kill his son in many ways, he tried to get his son to sit on some sort of log of fire, with his prahlads sister or the kings wife to sit on it. not sure what her name was. but she did alot of paath, she felt guilty and prayed to god, asking that her boon that she wouldnt die would be given to her son or brother or whatever he was to her

that is holie (happens in march) ..she basically had a "vaar" from vaheguru and cud sit in fire or any condition with her "shawl" and not be burnt etc..but when she tried to kill prahlad vaheguru took the "shawl" of "holka"(that was her name) and put it on prahlad hence she burnt...but for some reason ppl started to chant out "holka" when it was her who was burnt < dunno what went wrong there - from holka (her name) came holie tongue.gif hope that makes sense

sikhs also have there holie called holla malhla this was when singhs use to have practice battles against each other and the winning team would celebrate etc etc (something along them lines)