The Issue With Sari's

kirandeep

wjkk wjkf

hey im a sikh girl with amritdhari rents and for my prom i bought a sari to wear, bt most guys ive spoken to have said its rong to wear sari's and well i havent heard a valid reason for sikh girls not being allowed to wear sari's

if anyone is able to give a good reason y we aren't allowed to wear saris i would love to know :lol:

they've told me tht its easier for a guy to rape you, but lyk thts not relli a good enuff arguement becoz well it doesnt happen (i know ppl r gona say tht it does and i accept tht bt lyk thts not a good enuff arguement to put me off frm wearin one u get me?)

and anova reason i got was because it makes the opposite sex look at ur sexually well to b honest anything worn will make the ova sex look no mata if ur fully covered or not

and it is possible to wear a sari tht covers mostly everything so having bare legs or stomach isnt reali a problem either

so anyone else got a beta reason?

would be happy to know

thank you

wjkk wjkf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wear Sari.. no worries..sari, classical dancing, hindustani(people from hind geographical location) classical(raagas) music is part of our hertiage that all indians regardless of religion shares.

Now i would wait for some over parnoid people on here, linking sari with hindu"ism".. that be just classic laugh..lol LOL.gifLOL.gif

No, a Sikh women should NOT wear a s Sari. Where will you wear your Kirpan? Over top, or underneath? A Sikh is supposed to always be ready to spring into action in case a situation arises where their help may be needed in order to defend someone. How are you supposed to be be able to move around with a Sari wrapped around you? You won't be able to defend yourself, you will feel all trapped, and if try to run fast, with a long stride, you'll probably fall down.

And another reason is modesty. A Sari is very revealing, and i don't beleive Sikhs should dress like that.

And, i disagree with Namstang Ji very strongly. We don't share all the same heritage as indians. Some things, we do, but not all. And i am not over paranoid, and am not linking sari with Hinduism, all i am saying is that Sikh women should not wear one because of the reasons i posted above.

And, i disagree with Namstang Ji very strongly. We don't share all the same heritage as indians. Some things, we do, but not all. And i am not over paranoid, and am not linking sari with Hinduism, all i am saying is that Sikh women should not wear one because of the reasons i posted above.

We don't share the same heritage as English people does that mean we should abolish wearing jeans?

As much as you may like to disassociate saris with Sikhism, I have yet to hear a LOGICAL explanation from you.

Wear Sari.. no worries..sari, classical dancing, hindustani(people from hind geographical location) classical(raagas) music is part of our hertiage that all indians regardless of religion shares.

I disagree. Saris, classical DANCING, HINDUSTANIS, are not part of Sikh religion or Sikh Culture. What happened to Guru's Bana? We should have more love for bana than anything else. A Gursikhs' dress should not be something that invites the wrong attention.

The next question would be, can Singhs wear a dhotee? lol I mean seriously, look at first who you're representing, you're representing your father Guru Gobind Singh jee, and mother Mata Sahib Kaur jee, would Mataji say sure putt wear a sari your father approves of it, or would she tell you to stick to a more gursikhi related bana. Would your mother Mata Sahib Kaur wear a Sari? I'm sure there are alot of things Pitaji & Mataji would not do, like go online, watch TV, etc. etc. but rather spend their time learning the essence of Gurbani, manmukhi jeevs like me talk alot but can't back it up and practice what you preach, but this is another issue.

Sure, sari is a dress from the Indian subcontinent, but there are no popluar punjabi saris, but only sri lankan, nepali, etc. so if you call yourself a daughter of Guru Gobind Singh jee then act, live and dress like one, have a distinct personality, so that you stand out of the crowd of other sari wearing ladies. Have love for bani/BANA/simran.

My two cents, bhul chuk muaf.

grin.gif fanks for those arguements. very valid. i lyk the concept of not being able to protect urself. didnt fink of that b4.

bt one problem, u said that in a sari ur not able to run or woteva if u need to lyk protect urself, well its the same situ if a girls in heels or wear tight trousers, or a salvar kameez becz she'll jst fall ova and break her leg (quite similar to a sari) so does that mean we shudnt wear those either?

about the kirpan well i wear it underneath neways cz i go to a catholic skool and they said tht if i wanted to wear the 5 kakkar they mst not be visible to others, so yh it wud b under the sari

and i do agree wid the last point, tht if the 5 kakkar are worn and ur heart and mind is wid waheguru then wots the prob?

and one more fing, this prob gona sound stupid bt wots a dhotee? and a bana?

bhul chuk maf

wjkk wjkf

The protection argument is utter pants. In the past our Guru Ji ensured that Singh well versed in martial arts and they could protect themselves. Guru Ji taught us to respect our bodies and keep fit.

I see today that many of our Gursikh are overweight and struggle to walk let alone having the ability to disable or fend off an attacker. The martial arts taught in Guru Ghar are useless to defend yourself (eg shin kin).

I doubt wearing a sari or a punjabi suit will make any difference. If someone has no clue about self defence then what they wear will make no difference.

It is no good having one of them small kirpans from punjab and thinking balle balle I can defend myself or others with it. They are 100% useless for such purposes, the blades are so blunt that you would struggle to open a letter with one, the handles are such that you are more likely to injure yourself than fend off an attacker. They are glorified letter openers and very poor ones at that.

A dhotee is a loose wrap (sarong type thing). like the one mahatma ghandhi used to wear.

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

where a sari by all means, but hav it long, dnt let ur stomach show

cz basically wat ur wearin is a bra n a skirt, thas all, fink about it,