The Issue With Sari's

kirandeep

I'll have to say, a sari does look somewhat odd on a singhni. But I mean it's not th end of all ends if you wear it, it's just one of those things that you shouldn't probably be doing, but it's not too detrimental either. For example, should singhnis be wearing jeans? probably not. But hey, we all end up wearing things we should refrain from. Not the end of the world or a kurehit, but definitely room for improvement. I've worn some flashy clothes at times, sure it looks "pimped", but it doesn't feel like the image of a gursikh.

Just be concious of the image you are presenting. I mean, singhnis could wear jeans, but wear them in a modest way.

All i'm gonna say to end off is, use your bibek budhi in these little matters (hoping Guruji has given you bibek budhi :lol: ).

Our life is filled with these types of lil issues.

For example, does a Singh look good going into McD's(even for a vege burger or sumthin)> Some may feel comfortable, but I've personally made the decision not to because I feel it feels I am not holding up the Gursikhi image and might even send the wrong message to non-sikhs about our dietry habits.

So you've heard the arguments for and againt saris, now ask yourself how the sari makes you feel about your gursikhi saroop. If you feel alright then try it out

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jss,

you said, "that the PANTH hasn't even figured out what bana is...collectively"

You're quite right that there is no collective decision on the issue formally reached. But I think we have a very good idea of what bana is through informal methods. Every Jatha, when it has an amrit sinchaar, the punj pyaaray wear more or less the same type of clothes. The Colours are usually Orange, but can be white and blue (never seen black). They all wear chola, dastaars, kamer kussa, hazooriya, kirpan on outside and no pyjami. I would suggest that this is bana for Sikh men. I would suggest Sikh women have similar bana because Guru Gobind Singh has said all Khalsa are in his form, but I think the men argument is pretty solid.

I personally don't see a sari as an appropriate Sikh dress in terms of modesty. I think the same modesty requirements are for men and women and showing one's belly just doesn't seem to fit. Even if someone says they will cover the belly, it doesn't seem like a good dress. It's not very conducive to mobility.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh has written that the Sikh should ideally dress as he was peshed in front of the Panj Pyaaray at the time of the amrit sinchar. I personally agree with this ideal.

As "Tera" has already said, I think the ultimate test we all should use is what would Guru Gobind Singh do and what would he think.

k...singh132

i agree with your last point...we should all use the test..what guru gobind singh ji do and think...

in my heart...i don't believe guru ji would be upset in the slightest if one of his daughters wore a sari to her prom...granted..she was dressed with proper modesty....you might have missed it..but some people pointed out that you can get the blouses made today so that the belly is covered...so that would take care of that concern...

you are right..about the panj piyaray having a distinct uniform when they do seva in amrit sanchar...but would that be accurate to say that is the bana you're supposed to wear...or is that more to make the Panj distinct when they do seva...so that everyone knows these are the panj piyaray... something to consider...but you are right that their uniform does consist of all that...

lastly...bhai sahib randhir singh ji was entitled to his opinion and beliefs...i have immense respect for the guy...but i do reserve the right to hold my opinion...you saying that he believed it isn't enough to convince me...i mean...what would make him believe that? was it an experience with dasmesh pita? was it written in gurbani? dasam granth?..not trying to disrespect him...but i could just as easily show you gurmukhs who wore a shirt and pants...

once again...i don't think it is our clothes that makes us the sikh... it's our actions, it's our daily rehat, its our character, our hearts...

i mean...guru ji ordered us to keep our panj kakkar on us...

if he felt it was important that i wear a chola at all times..he woulda ordered that as well...just the way i see things...

jss,

I completely agree with you that it's our actions that make us Sikhs. I also would never try to argue that the title of Sikh should be withheld from someone dressed in shirts/pants.

My point with the Punj Pyaaray argument was to say that Sikh bana is pretty clear. I mean, a Nihang Singh is always in that bana, and Punj Pyaaray, when they do seva (regardless of Jatha) essentially dress like Nihangs. That seems to point to the fact that Nihang Bana (as described already) is Sikh bana.

At any rate, we both agree on the "test" for the situation and I think Bhain jee, after reading all this, will come to a decision she feels confident about and comfortable with.

jss,

I completely agree with you that it's our actions that make us Sikhs.  I also would never try to argue that the title of Sikh should be withheld from someone dressed in shirts/pants.

My point with the Punj Pyaaray argument was to say that Sikh bana is pretty clear.  I mean, a Nihang Singh is always in that bana, and Punj Pyaaray, when they do seva (regardless of Jatha) essentially dress like Nihangs.  That seems to point to the fact that Nihang Bana (as described already) is Sikh bana. 

At any rate, we both agree on the "test" for the situation and I think Bhain jee, after reading all this, will come to a decision she feels confident about and comfortable with.

153025[/snapback]

speaking of nihang singhs, nihang singhs has bibek buddhi- they don't idiolize maryada, they consider what they wear, according to time, space, cirucmstances they dress accordingly to the times, if they are in western country and if they have business jobs, they will have 5 shastars intertwined in their mini keski and intact with 5 kakars , outside they would wear suit even tie their beard(those who live in toronto- just look nihang gurmant singh).. and all that is ok with their jathedars.

Nihangs are probably most chardi-kalah samparda out there which may look like very strict singhs from outside because of their dress, but difference between them and black and white sikhs is - they don't idiolize maryada !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets not use nihang singhs to prove your point singh132.

jss,

I completely agree with you that it's our actions that make us Sikhs.  I also would never try to argue that the title of Sikh should be withheld from someone dressed in shirts/pants.

My point with the Punj Pyaaray argument was to say that Sikh bana is pretty clear.  I mean, a Nihang Singh is always in that bana, and Punj Pyaaray, when they do seva (regardless of Jatha) essentially dress like Nihangs.  That seems to point to the fact that Nihang Bana (as described already) is Sikh bana. 

153025[/snapback]

speaking of nihang singhs, nihang singhs has bibek buddhi- they don't idiolize maryada, they consider what they wear, according to time, space, cirucmstances they dress accordingly to the times, if they are in western country and if they have business jobs, they will have 5 shastars intertwined in their mini keski and intact with 5 kakars , outside they would wear suit even tie their beard(those who live in toronto- just look nihang gurmant singh).. and all that is ok with their jathedars.

Nihangs are probably most chardi-kalah samparda out there which may look like very strict singhs from outside because of their dress, but difference between them and black and white sikhs is - they don't idiolize maryada !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

153032[/snapback]

once again.. ur negativity has jus ruined the love that was brought in from the previous few posts by jss veerji and singh132 veerji....

jss,

153025[/snapback]

153032[/snapback]

once again.. ur negativity has jus ruined the love that was brought in from the previous few posts by jss veerji and singh132 veerji....

153033[/snapback]

what did i say was soo terrible? i truely beleive modern day sikhi is purely based on black and white notions which was not the case prior to sgpc at all, we are speaking of ideology here not set of people.